Our Weird Family : Forum : Hi all!

[reply] [quote]

Re: Einstein

9 Years Ago

hi all!

Here's a quote from Albert Einstein ... that puts in perspective our fears of being ignorant ... and to differentiate it from the mysterious. 

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

Be good.

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Bierstadt

9 Years Ago

hi all!

A painting from Bierstadt ... that's bound to capture your imagination about the great outdoors. Bierstadt used light to convey the discovery ... of the wonder and majesty of nature. It presents the pristine nature of the landscape and makes a person feel they are the first ones to set eyes on it. It captures the viewer's focus ... and sometimes makes us realize the depth of feel to what we see. Wonderful isn't it?

regards ... Uncle

[reply] [quote]

Re: Kite Flying

9 Years Ago

hi folks

Its hard to say at which point it is starting to take off ... but you can feel it in your fingers ... that its catching the wind just right ... and its starting to climb at every opportunity. Then there you have it ... a kite in the sky ... you on the ground ... holding the string that's keeping the kite up. And so are your spirits!

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Stamp Collection

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

I used to collect stamps when young and then decided I was no longer interested. But some years ago ... I went back to look at stamps ... and got an entirely new perspective. Here is a sample:

Nations like Grenada and Cayman Islands take such an incredible interest in fairy tales and children's stories. Russia depicts love in the field of harvest. NZ takes on an Oriental interest in cosmology. Britain honors the tales of the pixies ... India affirms its grand cosmological studies ... and the US carves faces on mountains.

Its certainly a simple one-time view of national interests ... but the stamps are a living record of the fact that we did at one time ... sometimes long ago ... declare our interest in some specific issue. In the fast moving world of the DVD player and cell phones ... where delete means ... don't look at it again ... stamps provide a valuable record of our loves and enthusiasm in the past.

Picking up a stamp ... makes us feel how real it was ... and how true ... as a statement we made in the past. Take a look at stamps again ... folks ... and re-discover ... what we once were.

regards ... Uncle 
[reply] [quote]

Re: Flying

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

On Dec 17, 1903 ... at Kitty Hawk the first successful attempt to fly a craft ... brought man into the modern age of global travel.

On June 28 2014 ... NASA, launched its version of the flying saucer ... that's to take man to the stars. It may yet be some time away ... but it certainly is a start. How time flies.

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Hi all!

9 Years Ago

Another hunting...... took the grankids with me. We didn't see anything, but I was just glad to have some time with them.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Gibran on Love

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

Here's something from Khalil Gibran that has always defined for me the experience of love in the life of an individual.

( extract ... from Gibran's ... On Love )

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth. 

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire,
that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast. 

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart. 

regards ... Uncle.
[reply] [quote]

Re: A Joke

9 Years Ago

hi all!

A joke that I heard ... which I thought I'll share.

A rabbi in New York is praying to god for help. ' Help me father ... I sent my son to Israel to study medicine ... and he's become a Christian.'

A voice from heaven replies, ' You think you have problems? I sent my son Jesus to Israel ... and he became a Christian.'

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Roger

9 Years Ago

hi all!

One of my all time favorite actors ... and person is Roger Moore. I virtually grew up with ' The Saint ' TV series ... and thereafter followed him on ' The Persuaders ' and of course ' James Bond.' A wonderful man and personality ... charming ... humorous ... and witty ... he is currently UNICEF ambassador ... on projects with regards to children and children welfare around the world.

Sir Roger turned 86 on 14 th Oct recently ... and held an interview ... in which he quipped that ... after surviving prostate cancer ... installing a pacemaker ... and learning to walk again after a bout with pneumonia ... he's quit martinis ... shaken or stirred. 

I went over to his website to leave a note to say how much his movies meant to me growing up. Happy birthday Roger!

regards ... Uncle 
[reply] [quote]

Re: Hi all!

9 Years Ago

Originally posted by Dayran

hi all!

A painting from Bierstadt ... that's bound to capture your imagination about the great outdoors. Bierstadt used light to convey the discovery ... of the wonder and majesty of nature. It presents the pristine nature of the landscape and makes a person feel they are the first ones to set eyes on it. It captures the viewer's focus ... and sometimes makes us realize the depth of feel to what we see. Wonderful isn't it?

regards ... Uncle

Hello Dayran That picture that you posted is divine! where do you come across things like this? is it just sort of random on the internet?
Either way it doesn't matter I thoroughly enjoyed the picture and hope all is well.
~Sunny~
[reply] [quote]

Re: Superbikes

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

There's something about superbikes that captures everybody's imagination about speed ... action ... and a daring do. That cool ... sombre and vibrating sound of the engine ... creates a feel of stability and confidence. And in the view of the power of the bike ... a person experiences the curves ... like muscles stretched over its indomitable personality. What a way to go! ... as we glide over the roads and take that bend in the road ... with our thighs wrapped around it like a stallion ... running at full speed.

Pic below is of the Aprilia 2009 RSV4.

happy motoring ... regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Climbing Trees

9 Years Ago

hi all!

Tree climbing ... a favourite with kids ... and something I was into as a kid. There were a bunch of rambutan ... guava ... and mangosteen fruit trees in the village I lived in and the kids would climb to the narrowest branches to get to the fruits. The balance on the limb ... about 20 ft above the ground ... was everything. And then getting down to feasts on the fruits plucked.

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Hieroglyphics

9 Years Ago

hi folks ... how are you doing?

I found on one occasion ... perhaps accidentally ... the way that languages began in cultures. It relies on essentially two things ... the picture (logos) and the sound (accoustics ). It was a great help to me ... to understand the sound and meaning of words ... esp. in the English language ... and in that way helped to understand better the intent and motivation of people in the world. 

Acoustical sounds in language ... are virtually a tune ... to the hearing ear ... and forms the basis of accents ... and relationships among people. Here's a sample of the Egyptian hieroglyphics ... that combines pics and sounds ... as the basis of communication. Happy reading!

fair winds ... regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Holiday

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

I'll be taking a short holiday ... be back in about 3 days.

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: I'm Back

9 Years Ago

hi there!

Its nice to be back. There's nothing like a holiday to freshen up and come back with a new vigor. When I was at work ... it seemed like its impossible ... to take some time off. All that work ... who's going to do them! Well ... I had a simple plan. When it gets too tight ... and you simply can't breathe ... drop the pen you are holding ... take the briefcase and leave. Call the boss later ... and inform him ... you're on holiday. It helps that he's also a friend.

Here's a photo ... I found fascinating as an exercise ... in self management. You're in the driver's seat ... and I challenge anyone to tell me that ... they didn't feel the car moving ... even for a moment. Hehe!

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Fighting Fishes

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

I was suddenly thinking of the days when we'll wade in streams ... catching fish for that jar aquarium at home ... or until we tired of the interest. So I looked up some photos ... and got the following.

Its a great reminder of the fun we had as kids ... learning about nature ... and the experience of the enthusiasm ... for things that brought us a lot of fun.

A family outing with the Wong family ... for the kids to try their hand at catching fish.

Its referred to as fighter fishes ... commonly found in streams and rivers ... and quite easy to catch and feed in a jar. Its very popular among kids in Asia ... and the incredible colors of the fish are quite an excitement in itself.

regards ... Uncle

[reply] [quote]

Re: Home Sweet Home

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

Here's a photo of Bear Mountain Village ( Bukit Beruang ) ... where I live. Its basically a university village. There are three universities in the vicinity ... a community college ... multi-media ... and medical. There are a large number of vegetable farms ... in the valleys. The entire area was a large rubber plantation ... when my family moved to the area about ... 48 years ago.

Despite the phenomenal growth ... it retains the small village charm ... and a person runs into familiar faces always ... in the cafes ... and the shopping outlets. There's a large shopping mall about a 10 minutes drive from here. Its home.

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]

Re: Yes

9 Years Ago

hi folks!

One of my favourite rock groups is ... Yes ... the English rock band. I must have heard all their songs all the way from the 70s. Their lead singer ... Rick Wakeman ... brings a unique voice and singing style ... that captures the listener's sense of the new ... and displays it like a new world awakening. Wiki describes them as ' prgressive ... art ... and symphonic style of music. Here's a sample of the lyrics from the song ... ' And you and I ' ... 

A man conceived a moment's answer to the dream
Staying the flowers daily, sensing all the themes
As a foundation left to create the spiral aim
A movement regained and regarded both the same
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you

Changed only for a sight of sound, the space agreed
Between the picture of time behind the face of need
Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid
Emotions revealed as the ocean maid
All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you

regards ... Uncle
[reply] [quote]