Distant Friends

Distant Friends

A Chapter by Abdalla Maro Jillo
"

friendship and family support.

"

                 Examinations were over and Jay did them to his maximum IQ capacity. It was not an easy task to undertake them, but there was no excuse, nor a short cut to the exams. Exams are the only measurement of proving the quantity of the work you did in class that you can be able to reflect. It was night preps and Jay was on his locker, relaxing his mind. Some seconds later, he felt something odd in his body. His left eyebrow vibrated severally, and according to their traditional myths, he might shed some tears, or something bad would happen. He picked the novel “Blessed Hands” by Ben Carson to refresh his mind.

 

AT SILVILLE ACADEMY

                 Students had reported and learning was to start. Anjali’s chair was empty and news got the whole academy fraternity that their colleague was hospitalized. What is the work of friends? Assisting and supporting each other in times of need. Her classmates created a date to visit her and show comfort to her. That is what friendship is all about. When you mingle well with people, no matter the place, you can make good friends no matter the social barriers.

 

WARD: ARCADIA STATE HOSPITAL

                 Anjali’s condition was getting scary. Her legs had swollen and her vision was fading away, her memory too was weakening.

                  More than ten friends from Silville were on her bed, with all sorts of gifts to her. It was a sad scene and most of them could not hold their emotions. It is said that ladies are the most emotional, yet the strongest creatures on earth, how true. Anjali too with what she had in mind, she could not imagine that the curtains were closing on her. It felt like she was on a mission towards her destiny and all of a sudden, a huge wall appeared and blocked her way forward, no matter how she tried to climb the wall, it seemed to be getting longer and longer.

                “Anjali, you hear me? Worry out. No matter the situation you are in, know that in the middle of every difficulty, lies an opportunity. Nothing lasts forever. I wish you a quick recovery.” That was Nadia, her closest friend, comforting her. A confirmation with a weak nod from Anjali was received, but she knew the entire truth of her life’s fate. What is fate? It is believing that something is already planned and it is unchangeable, but can’t human actions change fate?

                    Mamush closed her eyes and laid her head to rest beside her daughter, just hopping that she would one day wake up and find this all a nightmare.

                    Her classmates were gone, making the place look gloomier with few occupants in it. Anjali could neither sleep, nor sit. She had to be assisted by her loving mum do her basic body activities. She was critic. Mamush dialed Anjali’s dad, who promised to come in the shortest time possible. Jay made a call to his mum, enquiring her sister’s condition, just to be informed that she was fairing on well, and that made him know that sooner, she would meet her cheerfully sister and rejoice together.

                                *****************************

                 “My dear daughter, how is your situation?” Mr. Ram spoke out as he came in hurriedly, looking confused. The statement was somehow irritating to Mamush. How do you expect a sick person explain her condition when she can barely speak?

                  “Do not worry, you will be fine,” he tried to comfort her.

              “No dad, I cannot be fine. The doctors diagnosed me with Sickle Cell anemia. I know how bad that trait is. Victims of that trait rarely survive, we were taught that at school.” Anjali managed to reply.

                 “Have faith, I am going to fly you to the National hospital, where you will get sophisticated medical attention tonight.” He replied.

                   Mamush pulled Anjali’s father, Ram and spoke to him, “there is no way you can fly her. You see her condition, she can hardly sit. How do you expect her to sit in a plane with all the vibrant movements in it? I can stay with my daughter here and see the way forward.” She spoke silently, but strongly.

                 Meanwhile, Ram went out of Arcadia State Hospital.

 

                              *********************************************



© 2014 Abdalla Maro Jillo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on October 18, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014


Author

Abdalla Maro Jillo
Abdalla Maro Jillo

Malindi, Coast, Kenya



About
I have a passion in writing and I explain myself well in writing than talking. I love peace and I believe that anybody can be whatever he/she wants to be only if determination and living the dream is .. more..

Writing