draft 3

draft 3

A Chapter by Lena Rossmore
"

Final part in the first chapter of The Cataclysm!

"

Walt gripped Nyla's arm with enough force for it to cause mild pain and led her into the warehouse. Contrasting from the faint light of outdoors, the warehouse's interior was dark and shaded. It took Nyla's eyes a few moments to adjust, but once they had, she could see that the warehouse was far bigger than she had assumed. It was two storeys high and about fifty metres wide in each direction. The contents also took her by surprise. She had expected it to be a giant torture chamber, but was instead it was a training room.

There were different sections set up across both floors; acrobatics, strength, endurance, martial arts, normal combat, archery and firearms. She stared at each section in turn, amazed at how they had used rubbish from the cataclysm to create functional equipment. The beam in the acrobatics station had been constructed from pieces of metal being sawed into a long strip of plywood and the weights in the strength section were made from boulder pieces attached to pipes. A makeshift pool built from a trench in the ground filled with muddy water made up the endurance area and the martial arts and combat stations consisted of nothing more than mats spread out on the floor. What caught her eye the most though, were the weapons in the archery and firearms regions on the second floor. She saw enough crossbows, rifles, pistols, machine guns, and snipers to take out Exodus' clan within minutes. She suddenly understood why he had sent her to find Gaz and Jake Logan instead of doing it himself; if these random group of survivors had so much weaponry at hand, she could only imagine how much the Logan brothers had obtained since the cataclysm had occurred.

Before she had time to survey the room any further, Walt started dragging her to the back of the room.

"Am I starting a training program? Or…" Nyla asked apprehensively. Her voice trailed off as she saw that Walt wasn't leading her to any of the equipment, but instead to a small medical area.

"Sit." He ordered her into a rusted, metal chair, disregarding her question as rhetoric curiosity. 

"What are you going to do to me?" Her fear of being tortured had returned, and this time it was facing her head on, ready to crash into her at full speed. Walt didn't answer her but instead began to restrict her arms, feet and torso with metal shackles. She didn't try to resist; mostly because she had no chance in hell of taking Walt down, but also because she disliked the sound of the metal shackles scraping against the metal chair. He then proceeded to fiddle with syringes on the nearby table only to be interrupted by two figures arriving at the door.

"How's our captive doing?" Mish's voice carried across the warehouse in a whirlwind of sarcasm. They were just silhouettes against a gray backdrop, but as they got closer, Nyla was able to see the woman Mish was with. She was dressed in the same black getup Nyla was in but that was were the similarities ended. Unlike Nyla's moss-green eyes and fresh faced complexion that was only smudged by dirt, the woman was dark in every aspect. Her hair rose around her in jet-black curls, framing her ebony skin. Her eyes were peculiar, a misty grey colour, and her face remained contorted in a grimace, even while she spoke.

"Have you injected her yet?" the woman spoke in a low, curt manner, unaware of the fear she had just arisen in Nyla.

"No. I thought you'd be more suited for the job Nyomi." Walt said, not looking into her eyes. It seemed that Nyomi managed to inflict fear into the heart of anyone she spoke to; an evil queen shrouded in beauty.

"Very well." Nyomi joined Walt at the table while Mish decided to strike up a conversation with Nyla.

"What do you think of Walt so far?" His beanie no longer concealed his bright curls, and they were free to wave around; an orange halo.

"He's quite frightening," Nyla said, deciding to humour Mish in hope of getting some information out of him, "But I guess he'd be nicer if I were his friend."

Mish let out a loud laugh, "Walt doesn't have friends, he has accomplices, like me, and then he has subjects, like you." 

"Subjects?" the word rolled around on Nyla's tongue for a while, "As in subjects for pain or-"

"Enough." Nyomi's voice rang clear, "Hold her arm down." She motioned for Walt to pin Nyla's already bound arm to the chair incase she decided to struggle and the needle punctured an artery. There was no harm of that happening though, as Nyla was too petrified with fear to move, let alone put up a resistance.

"Will this kill me?" 

"No." Nyomi said, advancing towards Nyla at a menacing pace. "It will just render you incapable of coherent thought."

"Why? What is it?" 

"It's a dose of the VH1 Virus from the cataclysm." Nyomi injected Nyla, grinning maniacally as the pain of the substance began to take it's toll. "In other words, it's the Plague."



© 2012 Lena Rossmore


Author's Note

Lena Rossmore
Please review and critique harshly! (sorry it took so long, more will be up soon i promise!)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kes
Enjoying it so far!
K

Posted 11 Years Ago


"...and about fifty metres wide in each direction." meters is spelled wrong
"... Nyla was able to see the woman Mish was with." Is there supposed to be a 'them' at the end of this sentence?
Aw poor Nyla! like I said before things just seem to get worse and worse for that girl o.O
good chapter!
~Dreamer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


:o She has fleas in the surenge? I love this! You need to post more REALLY soon! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Suspense! I love the 'an evil queen shrouded in beauty' part. Really good!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

thank you so much !
Great suspense.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

thank you
I seriously want more and more... I like cliffhangers... They add something to look forward to... I love the curiosity and the suspense. Please put up more soon. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

thank you! And more will definitely be up soon !
Why?!?!? You know how much I hate cliff hangers!! I love your writing though. I hope you finish it soon. One it's published and out there, I'm all over it :) Amazing writing as per usual

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

ahahah im sorry! ahah, thank you very much! And i really hope it does get published !
Chloe

11 Years Ago

Good luck to you
your writing is developing nicely.. keep at it..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

thank you so much
Great cliffhanger for the ending! I definitely want to know more about this plague and how else these people were able to survive. I hope your next chapter goes into more detail. I am starting to wonder if these rebels will eventually help or hinder Nyla.

Posted 11 Years Ago


FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

You're welcome! I love it when you give us lots of details and foreshadow important plot points. I a.. read more
Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

yes, I always love adding subtle clues here and there to my writing, and try to make the reader gues.. read more
FantasyLover24601

11 Years Ago

Again, you're welcome! I do love your work!
Whoa! Was not expecting that ending!! Great chapter once again, full of suspense and rising emotions of fear. Nicely done! Cant wait for more:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lena Rossmore

11 Years Ago

thank you very much :)
Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

No problem at all:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2012
Last Updated on July 30, 2012
Tags: fantasy, fear, cataclysm, teen, teenage, dark fantasy, apocalypse, romance, love, fiction


Author

Lena Rossmore
Lena Rossmore

London, United Kingdom



About
Just another aspiring writer. "there's a hell of a good universe next door, let's go." Feel free to drop me a message and I'll be happy to do a swap, just read and review 'Century' as it's what .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lena Rossmore


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Lena Rossmore


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Lena Rossmore