Ch 3 Trust

Ch 3 Trust

A Chapter by Alicka

The next’s morning Nalia awoke from a noise outside her room, she rolled out of her bed and to her blades that lay in the other room on the table. She pressed her body against the wall.

 Her door open slowly, and a young girl walked in and pulled back the curtains “Milady, King Bastiaan has asked” the young girl looked over to the bed but, no one was in it. She looked confused for a moment.

“I’m over here” Nalia called from behind her.

        “Ahhh” the young girl shouted. Catching her breath “You scared me. I’m Photis, King Bastiaan asked me to come and get you. He wanted your presence with him this morning.”

        Nalia nodded and quickly change back into her clothes that she was wearing last night. Photis started to make the bed while Nalia was putting her holster on; Nalia picked up her sword and placed it in the holster. Before walking out of the room “My name is Nalia, sorry for scaring you”. Nalia walked into the great hall of brothers “Good morning milord” Nalia greeted King Bastiaan who was seated at the table.

        “Good morning, did you sleep well?” King Bastiaan asked, taking a bite out of his small loaf of bread. He motioned her to a seat next to him.

        “Not too bad. Where is Queen Agaila? And everyone else?” Nalia took a sit next to him.

        “Miles is just getting up to make his round this morning, as for milady she is still asleep. Come now, let’s finish our conversation from last night,” he took a sip from his goblet. One of the servants came hurrying along and placed Nalia breakfast in front of her.

         Miles greeted them as he entered the hall, and took the empty sit on the other side of King Bastiaan. He waved his hand to one of the young servant girl, and she immediately left the hall thru the kitchen door. A few minutes later she returned with a tray carrying his food.

“Mile will you take Nalia around the palace today?” King Bastiaan asked taking his last bite of food off his plate.

“Yes milord, I will hurry after I’m done with my meal” Miles replied.

“There is no need to hurry Miles” Nalia replied with a smile. “I can wait. I must return to the Inn and change. By that time I’m sure Miles will be done with his meal.” She pushed back her chair and picked up her plate and handed it to the servant that came walking up to the table, she thanked her. “I know the way out, no need to accompany me” she left the hall.

“How odd” Miles looked back at the servant whom she handed her plate to. “Don’t you find it strange how she disregards your order” turning to his longtime friend.

“She’s not from our lands. She from beyond these oceans. There is no need to fear her, she is going to help us with these warlords that have try to stop us. The mention of peace between the western Kingdoms has them scared, we will out-number them if we succeed. I believe that there is a traitor among us, we need to seek him out!” King Bastiaan stood up and placed his hand upon his friend shoulder “I do what I must, for our Kingdom” he left him in the hall as he walked down to his study.

Miles sat alone at the table wondering if his friend has put too much faith in this woman Nalia, to help solve their warlord problem. He finished his breakfast and waited for Nalia’s return in the Great Hall of Brothers.

“Are you scared? That I might find out your secrets?” Miles stood up and turn to face Nalia who sneaked back into the Great Hall as he walked a few steps away from the table waiting for her to follow “You weren’t gone long.”

         “No, I wasn’t.” she took a few steps towards him, “No, I’m not scared, because you won’t find any here. Secrets I have, stealth you do not have” she was right next to him when she finished.

“Shall we?” his harsh voice came out, he walked into the hallway and entered a door, to the servants entrance. “Hello Photis” he greeted her.

The young girl smile “Sir Miles, and  Hello again” the girl looked down at the floor looking uncomfortable.

 “Photis what is wrong?” Miles looked at her confused.

        “I might have scared her this morning when she entered my room to wake me up” Nalia jump in getting a better view of the young lady. She was a skinny girl, with short light brown hair and brown eyes. She wasn’t very tall, she barely came to Nalia’s shoulders.

        “Yes she did, one minute she was behind me, I didn’t hear her get out of bed. I’m one of many servants here at the palace. I’m Photis” she smiled big at Nalia, then at Miles.

        “I’m Nalia” she held out her hand for her to shake.

        Come Nalia I have other things to do today” Miles walked out of the door into the one of the courtyards.

        “I’ll see you around, Photis” Nalia followed behind him. “I see that you can be nice, to others.” Nalia said catching up to him in the courtyard.

        Miles didn’t reply he kept walking, till he reached the front gates. “You know where the front gates are. There are two other gates like this one on the east and west side of the palace. We also have servant entrances but there are only two and there are located on either side of the front gates.” He paused and looked at Nalia waiting for to say something but she didn’t. “We’ll head to the eastern gate and I’ll show you all the post along the way.” It was high noon when Miles and Nalia started to return to the Great Hall of Brothers after showing her the whole east side of the palace. Upon entering the hall they ran into Kolc.

        “Miles I heard of your performance last night” Kolc chuckled turning his attention to the beautiful young woman next to him. Kolc was a few years older than Nalia and Miles. His curly dark hair and eyes looked young but his rugged face seemed to have faced harsh conditions, not doubt from years at being at the battle front of many wars. He was neither a tall man nor a big man he had a skinny frame, and he only stood a few inches taller then herself.

 “This is Nalia” Miles introduced her.

         “Hello Nalia. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I can see why you have all the men, a bit confused. You’re a rare beauty, with lethal skill.” He gently reached out his hand for her to place her on his. “My name is Kolc” he kissed her hand softly.

        “Kolc it pleasure too” she retracted her hand back. Her green eyes flickered at him. Kolc seem like a good man with honorable manners. No I don’t think he’s the traitor. Miles interrupted her thought.

         “Kolc will you mind showing Nalia the rest of the west gates, and all the post along that west wall of the palace, I have some matter to deal with.” Miles lied while he stood there and fidget.

        Nalia looked at him hard with her green eyes, What are you up to Miles?

        “Is that alright with you, Nalia” Miles asked sweetly with his light brown focus on her.

        “It’ll be just fine” she replied coldly. Miles nodded and took his leave. He headed down the hall and disappeared around the corner.

        “Fine, Nalia this way please” Kolc walked to the gates of the west wall. The walked in silent for a while before Kolc asked her a question “How long are you planning on staying here? I’m mean at the palace?”

        “Not long, just three days. I’m heading to a next village. I usually don’t stay at one place very long” she answered. The continued to walk as her mind drifted back to Miles, What are you planning? Miles is the King most trusted person and ally, he could easily be the traitor. He has some stealth. She smiled slightly, He’s not too bad to look at. She stopped herself and shook the thought out of her mind. “What’s the story with sir Miles? He’s not a very open person, to new people is he? Or is it just me?” She laughed.

        Kolc continued to walk before answering her “No, his not. You might have heard about the recent attacks on King Bastiaan life. Miles’s King Bastiaan friend, since they were children. He would do anything for him. Here we are” Kolc and Nalia stood at the western gate of the palace. After returning from there tour of the palace, Kolc and Nalia waited for Miles to return in the front courtyard on one of the stone benches. The sun shined upon as they talked between themselves. Nalia turned her attention to the Royal guard whom were walking by. One of them caught her eye, she focus on him as he walked. He must have felt her eyes upon, he turn to look at her with his steel gray eyes, Nalia’s face harden at the sight of his eyes on her.

        “I think I should head back to the Inn where I’m staying at” she quickly stood up keeping her eyes on the royal guard with the steel gray eyes. “ Tell Miles that I will return later this evening. Also thank you for this afternoon” she didn’t give Kolc a chance to say goodbye before following the royal guard down the corridor.

 “I will see you tonight at dinner?” Kolc hollered after her.

Nalia rounded the corner to follow the royal guards, but she lost them. She went to front gate and waited for the soldiers to open that gate. Nalia made her way to the Inn passing thru the market, where it was filled with merchants and villagers. She entered the Inn giving the barkeep a simply head nod as she continued upstairs and walked up to her room door. She placed her hand on the nob, when shadow went across the floor in front of the door, she slowly opens the door and with her hand on her blades, she took a few steps into her room. She closed her door and grabbed her bag and all her belongings; she saw someone’s foot under the bed. She gathers her bags and walked out the door and down the stair she waited in the back of the Inn for the intruder to reveal himself. She wasn’t surprised when Miles walked down the stair. Damn him. I should go and teach him a lesson. She walked up to barkeep and informed him that she was no longer going to be stay at the Inn. Nalia returned to the palace “Kolc” she called out, seeing him as she was walking thru the front gates. But he was alone, he was with another soldier.

“Nalia I’m happy that you returned.” Kolc smiled big “I would like you to meet Boe, another loyal soldier to King Bastiaan”.

        “Hello Nalia, the rumors are true” he shook her hand.

        “That is?” Nalia replied.

        “Your beauty, and your eyes are unmatched” Boe smiled. Boe could have been Miles’s brother, they both had the same physical appearance , and manner, except Boe was quite a charmer. “Would you like to accompany me tomorrow morning for a morning ride around the kingdom? Kolc informed me that you wouldn’t be staying long.” His brown eyes sparkled at her in hope that she would not decline.

        “That would be lovely” Nalia smiled back, Uhm Boe. Maybe I can get some useful information from him.

         “Excuses me. I must be off.” Boe took his leave not before looking back at Nalia one last time as he walked up the stone stair to the wall.

        “We’ll be seeing him at the feast tonight” Kolc informed her, “Boe is honorable man and soldier.”

        Nalia nodded “Well what to do till then” she laughed. “I think I shall retire to my room, if you don’t mind Kolc” Kolc nodded as she returned to her room, and sharped her short swords. There was a knocked at her door. “Please come in” Nalia placed her short blades on the table and looked at her visitor. Young Photis entered her bed chamber, surprising Nalia. “Does Milord wish to see?” she asked curiously

        “ No, he hasn’t. I hope you don’t mind, but I wanted to ask you something?” Photis looked down at the rug. Nalia nodded “How far have you traveled? Tell me stories of your adventures” she pleaded cheerfully. “I’m always here in the palace, and I’ve never  been outside the Kingdom of Anathros. All the soldiers have talked about is you, and how a great swordsman you are. You won against Sir Miles”.

        “Why Photis? Don’t you know stories of your own, living here in the palace.” Nalia responded.

        “I do” she said proudly. “But I’ve never met anyone who has been well travel like yourself.”

        “Alright. These stories are not for the faint hearted” Nalia shook her head.

        “Nalia, have you every killed anyone?” Photis innocent eyes were on her.

        Nalia sat at the table looking back at Photis Killing is what I do best,  she thought.



© 2010 Alicka


Author's Note

Alicka
I think this chapter is boring, I don't know what to think. I just might rewrite this whole chapter. Tell me what you think! Suggestion, Suggestion please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on September 23, 2010
Last Updated on December 21, 2010


Author

Alicka
Alicka

Hutchinson, KS



About
I'm like read a lot of fantasy. I enjoy writing, I try to do a little research before writing anything new. I'm not great at poems, so I tend to not write any. I'm looking for great friends who can gi.. more..

Writing
No more No more

A Poem by Alicka


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alicka