3

3

A Chapter by Alyssa Latham

I seem to be getting more and more sucked into my great grandmother’s story; also, while wondering why she hasn’t told me about this before. I guess she thought I wouldn’t be interested, but that’s far from the truth. I’m more than interested it seems. I get up and put my leftover spaghetti in the refrigerator, noticing I barely ate any of it. That’s going to be hard to explain to my parents. I don’t think I mentioned this earlier, but my parents are out of town, so my great grandmother is ‘baby’- sitting me. As I sit back down at the table, my great grandmother is coming back from the restroom.


“Ready for more?” She asks as she sits down. 


“Yes, definitely.” I reply. 


“Okay,” She starts back up, “It was the day I was going to activate the plan. I woke up early, put the uniform on, and headed out. I left before my mother woke up; I knew she’d try to talk me out of it. Another reason I left early was so that I could take the car keys to my mother’s car. I knew for sure that she wouldn’t let me go then.

“The whole drive to the Nazi camp, I was a nervous wreck. My heart was pounding as hard as it was when they took my brother. 

“I parked a few blocks away from where the camp was, the obvious choice. I ran the rest of the away, but then changed to a sneak once I got a few feet away from the camp. There were two guards at the front gate, which for some stupid reason, I wasn’t expecting.

“I stealthily made my way around the back gate. It then struck me, what if my brother isn’t even in this camp? Or what if they’ve ki- The thought gets interrupted by leaves rustling. I jump into a bush, and peer out of an opening. I become relieved once I see it was just a fox. 

“I get up out of the bush, and quietly run to the back gate, stopping to check if there’s any guards. To my surprise, there is not. I sneak over to the entrance, and glance around before going into the camp. A feeling of uneasiness rushes over me, as I find it quite weird that this area is deserted. 

“Feeling like I don’t have much time, I quickly went over to an area with a giant tent. Assuming that it would be the most-likely place for prisoners. I see an officer coming, so I run to hide behind an unusually-large tree. 

“I wait for the officer to pass, and quickly walk over to the outside of the tent. Once again, to my surprise, there is no guard. I hesitantly peek inside, and let out a sigh of relief once I don’t see anybody. I walk into the tent, and notice there’s a room with dark curtains posing as a door. 

“I sneak over to the black curtains, and become really anxious as I go to open them. God only knows what’s on the other side of these curtains. I open them enough just for one eye to see through, and notice what seems to be a little bed. My eyes widen once I realize there’s a baby in the bed. Steve! I become so happy that I completely forget about my surroundings and hurriedly draw the curtains open. I rush over to my brother, and pick him up. 

“I then notice a figure of a person move out from the corner of the room. I gulp, and look over at them. All of the blood in my body freezes once I realize who it is- Adolf Hitler.”


I choke on my soda once my great grandmother says that last line. 

“Are you okay, sweetie?” She asks. 


“Yes, I’m fine. Please, continue.” I tell her.


“Okay,” Once again, she starts the story back up, “I had actually became sure the plan was going to work. I mean, there were no guards at the back gate; no guards at the entrance to the tent; and my baby brother just lying in a little bed, in a seemingly deserted room; but, of course, I was wrong. Hitler yells something in German. My instincts tell me it wasn’t good, because guards come rushing in over to me.. As they go to grab my arm, all my common sense flies out of my brain, and I decide to kick all of the guards down. Hitler then comes toward me, and I run as fast as I can. 

“I realize I can’t go home, they obviously know where I live. Oh shoot! My mother is at home! I speed up my running pace. I did not think it was this hard to run while holding a baby. I feel like I’m about to pass out once I finally get to the car. I put my brother into his carseat. and then I jump into the driver’s seat. I promise you, I start to drive at-least 100mph. It only takes me a few minutes to get home, and my mother comes rushing outside. 

“‘Go get the dog, and then get in the car, now, no arguments, just get in.’ I tell her, she listens. Once she gets in and shuts the passenger-side door, I start speeding down the road again. ‘Would you like to tell me what this is about?’ she finally asks. ‘Well, I did the plan, Steve is in the backseat by the way, and well, I got caught.’ I explain. 

“‘And the guards let you go?’ my mother asks. ‘No, I got caught by Hitler, and he called the guards in. I knocked them down, and ran away.’”

“‘Dana!’” my mother yells at me. ‘I know, it was a stupid thing to do; but I don’t think now is a good time for you to scold me, okay mother?’ I looked over at her, and she sighed. 

“‘Fine, so, where are we going?’ she asks. ‘We’re going home.’ I reply, pressing down on the gas pedal more. ‘We just left home?’ my mother replies, confused. ‘I mean home-home. The United States.’ I answer her question fully this time. My mother doesn’t say anything back. She’s probably too shocked to respond anymore.”



© 2016 Alyssa Latham


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on November 19, 2016
Last Updated on November 19, 2016


Author

Alyssa Latham
Alyssa Latham

KY



About
Hello! I'm a fairly-new writer. For the past few months I've written fan-fiction, but I've decided to expand to 'normal' -I guess you could say- type of writing. My works will always be suitable for a.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Alyssa Latham


2 2

A Chapter by Alyssa Latham


4 4

A Chapter by Alyssa Latham