Dune Jumpers

Dune Jumpers

A Chapter by AndrewDawg

"Hey Jex, could you pass me that wrench there by your foot?"
"Yeah, here." Jex tossed it over and Thomas tightened up a last bolt.
"Ah. Now for the final test." Thomas stood up.
The engine sounded as if it were starting, then quit.
"I'm no expert, but I do believe most engines require a fuel of some sort. That's my guess."
Thomas looked at Jex with the 'shut up, smart a*s" look.
He put the fuel in and tried starting it once more. It started.
"Now we have got TWO functioning motorbikes. They aren't necessarily made for the sand, but it's better than walking. Just make sure no sand gets in the fuel line or anywhere in the tank. Also remember to let off the gas when-"
He was cut off by the sound of Jex revving the engine.
"Yeah yeah, okay let's test these babies out. Wanna head for the plains or dunes? I personally would rather dunes, but you are the one who fixed these up, so it's your decision."
"Dunes. If they can handle high speed on the dunes, they can handle low on the plains."
"For you being 5 years younger than me, you have amazing knowledge on this engine stuff."
Thomas smirked.
"Okay, open up the door, and I'll roll them out."
"Should we bring extra gas?" Thomas asked.
"Maybe a little bit, in case there is any sort of leakage or anything. I'll also bring a few tools if there is a need for any on-the-go repairs."
"Alright. Let me gear up and we can head out."
Minutes passed and soon they were all set. A bit of water, goggles, binoculars, extra tools and parts, and of course, their handy .357 revolver. Of course neither of them have shot it off before, but there wasn't any need. Their little settlement was way far off from civilization, meaning the only people seen are just passing by. 
They closed the doors to the cargo container, and started up their engines.
"You set?" Asked Jex.
"Yeah, let's go."
They slipped their goggles on, and managed to get about 100 feet before Jex's bike shut off.
"What the hell happened?" He asked confused.
"It died, just start it back up!" Thomas yelled over the engine sounds.
Then, they were off.
They got to the dunes, and were having a good time. Of course, both fell multiple times, but they got decent air, and did minimal damage to their bikes. The bikes were a mixture of a bunch of different parts. Some from dirt bikes, some from cruisers, and even cafe racers, so there was no set name for them.
Thomas stopped and motioned for Jex to go over to him. 
"Whats up?"
"Just wondering if we could take a water break. My arms and legs are getting tired, and so am I." Thomas replied, out of breath.
"Yeah sure."
They shut off their bikes and sat on the shady side of a sand dune.
After a few moments of sitting, Thomas went up to the top of the dune and looked around. Something quickly caught his attention.
"Hey Jex come here for a second. I could be seeing things but.."
Jex climbed up and looked in the direction Thomas was looking.
"What's wrong, bud?"
Thomas pointed out into the distance.
"Look. Don't you see it?"
"Wait a minute."
He went down to their equipment and got the binoculars, and came back up. Looking down the binoculars, he scanned the horizon. There it was. 
That figure in the distance. It's a person.
"What is it?" Thomas asked.
"A person."
"Like a traveling merchant?"
"I don't know, but whoever it is, is just staring at us."
"What do they look like?"
"Uh.." Jex squinted into the binoculars. "Black robes.. some sort of.. chinese bamboo cone hat thing.. and weird goggles. Like welding goggles."
"Are they moving?"
"No just staring. He knows we're looking at him though. God that stare is creepy.." Jex replied.
Just then, loud engines in the distance were heard. Multiple. There had to be tens of them. Both took their focus off the figure and looked into the direction of the sounds. 
There were multiple objects jumping the dunes. They turned back towards the figure, but where it initially stood, and it was gone without a trace.
Jex looked down the binoculars and saw all kinds of bikes, buggies, and trucks jumping the dunes as if they were ramps.
"Dune Jumpers." Jex said.
"What? What are Dune Jumpers?" 
"That's them."
"Are they hostile? Bandits? Clan of some kind?"
"Shut up a second."
The jumpers came closer and closer. They were coming towards Jex and Thomas.
Jex dropped the binoculars by the equipment.
"They are coming. Do not speak to them. Only speak if you are asked a question you cant nod or shake your head to."
"Jex have you met these guys before?"
"Yes. They didn't seem like bandits, but there were more people in my group. This time it's only me and you. If they want to they can kill us both easy."
"You were in another group?"
"I'll tell you later."
Eventually the Dune Jumpers arrived at their location, and immediately surrounded Jex and Thomas. A man got out of a small truck and walked towards them.
"What are you doing here, lads?" The man said. He had a thick British accent.
"Well we just built these bikes and we were gonna test them out. To see how they could do."
"I see. And how are they?"
"They are good. Handles the dunes smoothly."
"And you built and fixed them up yourselves?"
"Well my bud here Thomas did most of the-"
"Yeah, cool. See the reason I ask is I-"
"WE!" A voice was heard from the truck he got out of.
"..WE.. are looking for some working hands. Obviously, this kind of stuff is our specialty. As you could imagine, milking these things on the dunes can do some damage and improvements such as reinforcement, roll bars, repairing, things like that. And unfortunately, we have no one that can do such things, and we are in need of people that can. But see I don't trust you well enough yet. So how about you and your.. bud.. meet us right here, about this time day after tomorrow?"
Jex looked over at Thomas. He shrugged. What did they have to lose? Life in a couple cargo containers wasn't the best for a 15 and 20 year old.
"Okay, fine. Under one condition, that me and Tommy here, have a decent living space, food, and water."
"Well.." The man said and walked around in a circle.
"Okay, deal. Keep in mind there is no pay. Just food, and water.
"Alright." Jex said, and put his hand out for a handshake, and they shook.
"Boys?" The man said, and all the engines started up, revving loud. He jumped into the truck and within moments, the entire group was speeding off in the direction they came.
"Holy s**t." Jex said.
"I didn't think they'd be so generous." Thomas said,
"When you're looking for people to work that will gain no economic benefit, you have to be. It does seem a little shady though. Once we get to.. wherever their camp is, you should probably stick with me, okay Tommy?"
"Yeah sure, that was my plan anyways." Thomas replied.
Then soon they head off back towards their own camp, put up the bikes, and went to sleep.


© 2017 AndrewDawg


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on March 11, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017


Author

AndrewDawg
AndrewDawg

FL



About
I'm young, so if my stories don't make sense, don't judge me. =D more..

Writing