Dinner

Dinner

A Chapter by Anna Ivy
"

Dinner with the prince, will there be any clarification from him?

"

She descended slowly down the spiraling stone staircase, stone walls on either side keeping her from seeing anything around the corner. At the end she saw the girl and another waiting. The other was shorter, younger than the first girl, with black hair and the same grey, glazed-over eyes.
“Come.” The blonde one said. They turned simultaneously and began walking down the hallway at the end of the room. Sylvia warily followed. Through a larger door at the end they went where a table sat in the light of the moon. Tall blue and silver curtains swayed and candle flames danced rapidly to the light breeze. Few plates of food and a basket of bread sat on the table, with an empty one waiting for her. He was at the end of the long table, standing and observing her.  Sylvia mustered the courage to speak.
“I’m dreaming, aren’t I?” He grinned, and began to walk towards her.
“Please, sit.” He pulled out the chair and motioned for her to come. She did, and he slid in the seat for her. Sylvia had tied the vial tightly to her inner thigh, and was feeing its coolness now. She became nervous that he somehow knew. She swallowed hard, and told herself it was all just a dream. “Now, eat. I know you have questions, but you are undoubtedly famished.” It was true, Sylvia was hungry. Deep within, though, she felt that she shouldn’t eat. She feared it might be a trick, for she found out early on how full this place was of deception.
“How do I know that I can trust it? Trust you? That if I eat it I won’t turn into one of your ghoulish slaves?” She looked him in the eyes but then quickly looked away out of fear. He chuckled.
“Sylvia, do you think I would bring you all the way here just to be a worker? No, no these servants are not slaves. They chose this life.”
“I highly doubt that.” The air felt heavy and tense, but Sylvia couldn’t stop herself from casting scrutiny. It was highly unlike her. “I’m sorry, truly. I just want to go home.” Her eyes remained down; it was best to keep on his good side she decided.
“Sylvia, you are home.” A large cool hand pressed on her shoulder. She flinched and looked up at him once again, not pulling away.
“What?” She asked with a pang of dread. He smiled gently.

“You belong here… with me.” Sylvia wanted to protest, but instead turned away and shrugged off his hand.  His gentleness was perplexing; ‘shouldn’t he be forcing me to be his bride or eternal slave?’ she asked herself. Sylvia suddenly felt nauseous and weak with hunger, and stretched for a slice of bread. It felt and smelled safe, she thought. The prince watched silently and grinned as she began tearing off pieces and eating them. He admired how her long dark wavy hair and pale slender arms looked in the moon light, only wishing he would again look into her silvery blue eyes.

“You’re evil, aren’t you?” She asked suddenly.

“It depends. Why do you ask?” Sylvia thought of how she could respond without offending him.

“I just get that vibe from you.” She didn’t want to tell him how frightening his appearance was or how the fact that he lived in a large eerie castle with seemingly undead servants was strange; although he was probably well aware of that.

Sylvia had many questions but couldn’t make herself ask anymore. She picked at what was on the table until her hunger subsided. They sat in silence.

“Won’t you eat?” She asked him. He had been standing behind her the whole time. He walked around and sat in the chair to her left.

“I will later, Sylvia. Have you finished?” She nodded. He tilted his head and narrowed his eyes at her. “You’re lying… but I will let you go if you wish. You must be exhausted; I didn’t expect you to come as soon as you woke.”

“Were… were you watching me?” She was horrified at the thought.

“It’s hard for me to explain, and right now isn’t a good time for you to know. You need sleep… perhaps tomorrow I will tell you.”  Sylvia became frustrated but didn't want anger him by being persistent. Instead of demanding answers she stood and decided to just leave.

“Goodnight. Thank you for the food.” She turned to leave but he grasped her wrist and turned her to him. Her heart quickened.

“Sylvia,” he paused and stared at her for a moment, “sleep well. I will be here if you need anything.” She nodded and backed away until he let go, then she turned and quickly left the room. She began running through the hallway and up the stairs, slamming the bedroom door behind her. Her heart was racing and her head spinning. She fell to the bed and curled up beneath the heavy covers. She wanted to cry, but she felt watched and confused, almost angry. Sylvia placed the vial under her pillow and closed her eyes. Owls called for each other in the distance, and down below even the chirps of frogs and bugs seemed far away. She was afraid to blow out the candles, afraid not to see if anything crept into her room.

Sylvia dozed off for a little while, but couldn’t sleep because she was anxious for it. She thought that if she went to sleep she would wake up in her own bed at home to see the sun streaming in through the old windows. It felt like she had been there a week already, but in reality it had only been a few hours.



© 2013 Anna Ivy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

With this chapter I get the feeling that Sylvia had been already magicked in some way by this dark prince... for she's acting far more calm and collected that most would under the circumstances that have occured. I get the feeling that this world, or this prince may be known to her in her distant past.... and that coming here is in someway making her feel safe, she just doesn't know it yet consciously.... Thats just my theory anyway. This chapter really leaves the reader wondering just what is going on...

My one technical suggestion for this piece would be to start the very first paragraph with "Sylvia" rather than "She"

I shall read on! =)
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Anna Ivy

10 Years Ago

She's convinced herself that this is all a dream and that none of I is real. That's why she's more c.. read more



Reviews

Good flow, fine dialogue, good char development. The story "felt" right. I would turn the page to continue...

Posted 10 Years Ago


With this chapter I get the feeling that Sylvia had been already magicked in some way by this dark prince... for she's acting far more calm and collected that most would under the circumstances that have occured. I get the feeling that this world, or this prince may be known to her in her distant past.... and that coming here is in someway making her feel safe, she just doesn't know it yet consciously.... Thats just my theory anyway. This chapter really leaves the reader wondering just what is going on...

My one technical suggestion for this piece would be to start the very first paragraph with "Sylvia" rather than "She"

I shall read on! =)
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Anna Ivy

10 Years Ago

She's convinced herself that this is all a dream and that none of I is real. That's why she's more c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 3, 2013
Last Updated on September 7, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Magic, Deception, Love, Fate, Gothic, Goth, Dreams, Dream, Fairy, Fae, Fairies, Good, Evil, Portal, Portals, Escape, Castle, Dark, Night, Dusk, Dawn, Realm


Author

Anna Ivy
Anna Ivy

VA



About
I am currently taking classes for an associates in culinary arts and management. I never thought I could make a living off of writing or my art, I suppose that's just insecurity, so I took up somethin.. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Chapter by Anna Ivy


Love, Part One Love, Part One

A Chapter by Anna Ivy