Mythaeus' Story

Mythaeus' Story

A Chapter by Anna Ivy
"

Though Mythaeus is angry, he puts his feelings aside to address a much larger issue; Sylvia's escape. Mythaeus has a nice long chat with the good fairy, revealing much about their world.

"

The ghouls returned with the fairy in a jar. Sylvia had escaped before they got there.  She sat in the bottom, weeping softly. Mythaeus held the jar in his hands and glared at her.

“You fairies, good or evil, will always be a disease in this land.” He then sighed and set the jar on the table, taking a seat in front of it. “Don’t be afraid, Julia.” The fairy lifted her eyes quickly to his. He knew her name, which meant she was here for a reason other than to be killed.

“Aren’t you angry?” He nodded slowly.

“Of course I am. You ruined my plan to restore our world.” She tilted her head in question.

“How do you mean?” She asked timidly.

“Do you remember who died twenty years ago?” he said with a raised brow

“Yes, the elves’ king. Then the queen died soon after… why?”

“Were they not in love, Julia?” The fairy blinked, not understanding what this had to do with Sylvia. “Think, little fairy. Who took the throne?” Julia glanced around in thought.

“Their daughter, because the son went missing and she was their only other heir.”

“And before he disappeared, what did their son practice? Come now, there’s a reason why Sylvia lived so close to that portal.” The fairy began rolling the hem of her dress nervously.

“Um… I don’t know.”

“Are you lying?” His voice was low.

“No, I’m not. Honestly.” He sighed, figuring she must have known something.

“He was dabbling with portals.” Julia gasped.

“No! How would he have known anything about that to begin with?”

“A hundred years ago the elves had a civil war in which the evil fairies got involved. They began helping the opposing side, aiding the ‘anarchy’. They didn’t win, of course, and there was a sacred vault built to hold these secrets that was never to be opened. Those who attempted fae magic either went mad or disappeared. It was a curse that even the fairies didn’t see coming. Many who studies the portals landed in Sylvia’s world appearing as humans, most of their fates unknown… with exception to my father’s.”

“No!” Julia breathed. He chuckled lightly.

“Yes, Julia, I’m from both our world and Sylvia’s.”

“But how did you end up looking like this?” Julia thought of what she said then looked down in shame, “I didn’t mean anything by that.” Mythaeus smirked

“My father lived in the woods, watching the humans from a distance. He was smart, and was a great leader here before he turned against the elves’ laws. He slowly integrated into the human society, claiming he lost his memory of who he was or where he came from. He met my mother, his true love, and together they had me. My name then was Matthew.” Julia watched as Mythaeus’ seemed to drift off in his memories. “My father wanted me to return here and burn that information the fairies had given the elves, to stop the horrors that became of the other unfortunate ones that landed here. He couldn’t do it himself; he had my mother under the spell of true love in a land where that didn’t exist. No one leaves their true love, ever.” He said severely.  Julia nodded in agreement. “In my mid-twenties I found the portal back, but the world was much different than how my father described it.

 

“I was looked upon as an evil intruder, and could build no trust because of my outlandish appearance. I went to the elves to try to explain what had happened, believing with all my heart that they would accept me. Instead, they held my past against me and considered me a threat. They threw me in a prison where I saw no light for fifteen years and was surrounded the elves that had gone mad in the war. Even women and children had been effected by using the magic… they were the foulest, believe it or not. With the promise of a new life, I gained their trust and organized a revolt were we miraculously escaped, fighting fist to sword. It was truly a bloodbath, and even after many were killed at least one hundred of us remained. I was blinded by the light the moment we went outside, so they carried me to this place where the elves couldn’t find us. We built this castle with the help of the spirit of the forest and with some convincing it gave me magic, longevity and sight; in exchange of course for protecting the land.

“Within the first week the elves begged to be put under a spell, but I refused. I still believed that they could be rehabilitated. Very soon after the castle was finished many began committing suicide, unable to handle their madness in this free environment. Others died from exhaustion; it was hard to sleep when your thoughts turned on you at night. I changed my mind about the spell when they became violent towards each other, resulting in the death of a little girl.” Julia clasped her hands together,
“Oh dear… that must have been so hard.” She said gently. Mythaeus looked towards the window and continued.

“I made their minds numb, isolating the memories and their damaged way of thinking. They at least function now, and yes they still feel… somewhat. They all get along and every now and then they will smile at me. Shreds of their former, normal selves come through but it is seldom. I know their appearance is horrifying, but that wasn’t my doing. Neither was their immortality... or maybe they're just aging slowly I don't know. That all could have been part of the curse as well.” Mythaeus seemed to trail off, but then remembered the point of this conversation. “Julia, Sylvia is the daughter of the prince who disappeared twenty years ago and because she is of royal blood this world is going to collapse without at least one of their presences.” Julia was shocked; how did no one know of this?

“I’m sorry, I had no idea. All I knew was that she thought she was in trouble.”

“You were doing your job.” He unscrewed the lid and she flew out and on to the table. “Besides, I should have told her what was going on instead of waiting so long.”

“Do you have any sort of plan?” He nodded.
“I believe she may be here tonight. I went to her through her dreams…” A smile almost appeared, but he fought it. Julia couldn’t help but notice and wonder. “hopefully she will not abandon me, us.”

“I will go wait by the portal. I still have many questions for you, but perhaps I will know more when you tell her what you told me.” She said with a smile. She turned and flew to the window, but stopped. “Oh, what does this have to do with the king and queen being in love?” Mythaeus shook his head.

“I’ve said enough for now, Julia. Go on.” She was unsatisfied with his answer, but decided to go. She was grateful to be a part of this, and excited to see what the future held.

 



© 2013 Anna Ivy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter jumps us right into the story. We can tell that some time has passed because the evil prince has captured the good fairie and his minions have returned with her. I like how the tale evolves in this chapter. It's got a little slower pace because most of it is just conversation and the evil prince like to ramble on... Normal for most antagonists in a story line. =)

Two things that stood out for me that you might want to revise....

"Many who studies the portals...." - studied? Probably justa typo. =)

"It was truly a bloodbath, and even after many were killed at least one hundred of us remained." - This line reads really awkward. would suggest rewording it and breaking it into two sentences.

Overall I enjoyed this chapter. I think the one question that I'm left with is about the Spirit of the Forest that helped the Evil Prince build his castle and give him magic.... Who is this Spirit and why would it get involved...?

The more I read of this tale, the more i'm enjoying the overall experience! =D Keep up the good work!

Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2013
Last Updated on September 8, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Magic, Deception, Love, Fate, Gothic, Goth, Dreams, Dream, Fairy, Fairies, Good, Evil, Portal, Portals, Escape, Castle, Dark, Night, Dusk, Dawn, Realm


Author

Anna Ivy
Anna Ivy

VA



About
I am currently taking classes for an associates in culinary arts and management. I never thought I could make a living off of writing or my art, I suppose that's just insecurity, so I took up somethin.. more..

Writing
Nature Nature

A Chapter by Anna Ivy


Love, Part One Love, Part One

A Chapter by Anna Ivy