Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven

Morning came slowly, allowing sunlight to flood in through the cave's entrance. Mili didn't face me, but I knew she was hiding her soft crying. Once she was ready she rolled over and sat up, looking around. "Didn't you sleep?" she asked when she saw me still sitting on my bedroll, crosslegged, with Nightfang lying across my lap.

"No."

"Why not?" Mili asked with astonishment.

"You needed the rest and so we couldn't take turns keeping watch," I replied, "and besides, I can go a long time without sleep. You should eat some breakfast. There's freshly cooked oats by the fire."



Sunlight pierced through the net of grey cloud that hung over the earth. We traveled along a brick road which was nearly buried in snow from the storm. A line of pine trees followed the edge of the road on the left side. There was no wind to buffer against us. Mili and I walked in silence for a long while.

"Where are we going?" Mili finally asked.

"There's a town up this way. We can get some supplies there."

"Have you been there before?"

I shook my head. I had never been this far North in the world before.

"I wonder why my brother wanted to come here," Mili said, looking around at the surrounding area.

"This is a more challenging place, so higher level players sometimes come here to level up more. Also, prices in the shops are also cheaper. But that's all I know about this area."
I pointed up ahead.

The road sloped downward and ran between two white hills covered in trees. Further on a small town rested in the middle of the little valley. Tiny houses poked up with their little chimneys, dark smoke rising like a beacon to guide our way.

"We're almost there!" Mili said.

"But you may not get there as soon as you'd like." A voice said from among the trees. A group of three players emerged from cover and approached us. They walked in a triangle formation, two bulky men in the back with a sword and spear, the lead man with a bow. Each of them wore thick fur armor and wool cloaks, greed worn on their faces.

The leader laughed. "You're way outnumbered, and that girl won't be strong enough to help you. Be smart, drop your weapons, hand over all your gear, and you can go."

Anger began to rise in me and I could feel my heart beginning to beat faster. "All we have are items we need to survive. There is nothing we can spare."

"Are you deaf?" The archer asked, "I didn't ask what you could spare. I said drop it all now or die."

I bent my knees and placed my hand on Nightfang, readying myself. "I'm only going to give you one chance to leave and I suggest you take it and go. I don't want to kill you."

They all laughed and stepped closer. Mili backed up behind me and I drew Nightfang from his sheath, his black onyx blade glinting like a solid shadow in the morning light. "I warned you," I said through clenched teeth.

The two men in the rear charged forward as the archer drew his bow and notched an arrow on the string. I dodged a spear thrust and blocked a sword jab. The battle was fast, a blur of rushed movements and emotions. I ducked beneath a slash and kicked the bandit to the ground. Everything was happening so fast but I had to think, focus on my breathing and block out the fear, block out the anger, let my instincts and skills take over. I tried to move so that I could keep them all in a line, while still remaining between them and Mili.

The bandit smacked the shaft of his spear against my leg, nearly bringing me to the ground. Pain trailed up through my body and I did my best to ignore it. We began trading blows for moments that felt more like hours. The archer launched an arrow that passed over my shoulder by mere inches. The bandit on the ground returned to his feet and came back into the fight. I could feel myself becoming overwhelmed. My skill level was high, but this type of situation was not good.

I kept up my guard, playing more defense and attacking only when my timing could be near perfect. A slash from the sword came toward my face but it was too high and I ducked beneath the strike. My sword stabbed into the bandit's unguarded stomach, piercing through him. He doubled over and yelped before he died, exploding in a burst of light.

The spear came at me again, cracking against my side and forcing me to stumble back. The archer shot another arrow that stuck into my left shoulder. The pain was immense, and I could see my health bar lower. This was getting bad rapidly. I dodged a spear thrust and cut the player across his chest, killing him instantly.

When I looked back at the archer he had another arrow ready to set loose, only it wasn't pointed at me. It was trained on Mili's head. When the spear hit me i had stumbled, moving from in front of Mili, opening her up as a target.

"Move and the girl dies," the archer said with an angered tone. "Drop your weapons, let go of the gear. I'd hate for my fingers to slip off the string. Someone could get hurt...."

From my right side came a ball of green pulsating light that collided directly with the archer. His arrow flew off into the sky and he was carried off his feet and into a tree. He struggled to get up but another blast hit him in the chest, forcing him back against the ground.

A man with a long blue robe embroidered with gold came toward us. He was tall and thin with long silver hair and a short beard. He had intense green eyes and carried a long golden staff with a green crystal at its top in his right hand. An aura of power and wisdom seemed to move along with him, though I couldn't begin to understand it.

"Most unpleasant, isn't it, facing players when you are not with the advantage?" the mage said with his staff pointed at the bandit. "And you find joy in doing it to others? It seems the tables have most definitely turned on you."

The bandit cringed on the ground and pleaded, "Please, don't kill me! I'm sorry!"

"What are you, level five? Six? Your only advantage was strength in numbers. Now you see how that worked for you. Do you wish to share the same fate as your fallen comrades? "

"No! Please!" the bandit continued to beg.

The wizard scowled in disgust, "There is always going to be filth like you about, isn't there? I suggest you leave before I change my mind to spare you. But although I am old, I will remember you, should we meet again."

The bandit crawled to his feet and ran off into the woods without looking back once. I was surprised at how the mage had handled it.

I bowed to the man, "Thank you for helping us there. I am in your debt."

He shook his head, "No. There is no payment needed. I was only doing my duty as a man. I was capable of aiding you against evil, and so it was my duty to do so."

"Please, I insist."

He smiled at me and his old eyes gleamed a little, "What are you called?"

"I go by Aquosin," I replied.

"And what of you, dear child?" he asked, gesturing to Mili.

"Mili," she answered, smiling brightly.

"I am called Sindred," he told us, "and since you wish to give payment, very well. I am heading for the Forgotten Caves, just within a mile from here. If you will accompany me, that would be a fine payment. I would enjoy some conversation."

I pulled the arrow from my shoulder and tossed it. The pain was great, causing me to gasp for a moment, but the wound sealed as my health bar began to recharge. The blood, however, did not disappear.

"Alright," I said, "it's a deal."

"Then let's get moving."


© 2015 Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really really good. I may have said that on previous review of this book but I serious. I was glued all the way through. I like how the fight went. Very smoothly. And I felt warm and fuzzy when Sindred asked Mili her name. This part really opened up his character for me. Excellent work!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


joshua deathdealer

9 Years Ago

Ah a fellow player. Awesome! I'm a huge fan of the Dragonlance books which were also envisioned by t.. read more
Draven

9 Years Ago

Ya, I love them too. However, I am a huge fan of the first 3 books. I didn't read too many after tha.. read more
joshua deathdealer

9 Years Ago

Yes the first three were really good and the war of souls trilogy. Of course. That is usually how it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
1 Review
Added on June 10, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2015


Author

Draven
Draven

Mount Sterling, KY



About
Hi, I'm Draven. I'm a father, philosopher, artist, writer, poet, and musician. I have a passion for the world and a deep love of all people in it. These are pieces of poetry or bits of writing t.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven