Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Draven

Otlam's cottage was small and plain. We sat in the kitchen at his small wooden table, a cozy fireplace flickering in the background. Mili sat in her chair and stared at me intently. I tried to avoid her gaze, though I felt her eyes stabbing at me.

"You have a nice little place here," I said to Otlam.

"Yeah, I like it here. A lot of the villagers here have family members trapped in the game with them. I suppose it's comforting in a way, but I wouldn't know. I don't have family in either world. I've only got the friends I've made in here."

"So you're gonna fight too?" Mili interrupted, forcing herself into the conversation.

"Yes," I sighed, "I plan to."

"I'm gonna fight too."

"No, it'll be too dangerous. I need you to stay here where you'll be safe."

She was trying to hide the fear in her voice, "But what if you don't come back?"

"I will," I assured her.

"I don't want to be alone again." Her eyes fell upon the table and her expression was solemn.

I looked at her and put my hand on hers. "I'll be back, to keep you safe. I'll always protect you, I promise." She wiped a tear from her eye.

Otlam stood up and grabbed a sword from a hook and attached it to his belt. "Thank you for helping us tonight."

I nodded, "But why is Kruk so defensive?"

"We know who the bandits are as a group," he replied, "but not as individuals. They keep their faces covered and so we don't know what they look like. So Kruk is cautious."

"Do you think the attack will go well?"

His face looked grave, "I don't know. I think we'll win, but I am afraid of the cost we'll have to pay."




Moonlight crawled through the screen of leaves above us. All was quiet besides the slow breeze passing between the trees. We crept silently toward the bandit camp, all of us with our weapons at the ready. There was a strange anticipation about us, like we were frozen in place as events began to unfold around us and we knew that the action was soon to come. It was exciting in the most horrific of ways.

"Just a few more yards and we'll be in the clearing," whispered Kruk. "In the center is the entrance to the underground hideout." He looked to Otlam, "You take your group and hit the ones on the outside. I'll take mine inside."

"But -" Otlam began to protest.

"If my men die in there, I will die with them. You will have to take my place. But hey, I don't plan on staying there forever." Kruk grinned, trying to calm Otlam.

He signaled and we charged out into the clearing. It was massive, but only guarded by about ten bandits. We forced them back to allow Kruk and his men to head straight for the underground entrance. The fight became intense, fast. The bandits wore thick leather armor with cowls to cover their faces. They were experienced fighters, some with swords, others with bows. A few of the farmers were shot down with arrows as we emerged from the trees. Those who made it burst into action. Swords clashed and blood was spilled. I tried to kill as many as I could but there were few open spots to jump into without the risk of hitting a team mate.

Otlam fought well for a mere farmer. He hacked and slashed with his sword, killing one of the bandits with a lethal cut across the throat. He joined a fellow team member and together they brought down another. They all fought with such ferocity like I had never seen before. Even though they were lower levels they attacked as if they were masters. They were determined to win and save their friends and families.

The bandits turned to flee when enough of their comrades had fallen, but they couldn't get away from the swarming villagers that pursued them. They were no match in the end and they all were killed. We cheered in a moment of triumph.

Otlam caught up with me. "We did it!" he said cheerfully.

"How many did we lose?"

He gave a sorrowful look, "Six men."

Villagers began making their way out of the ruins and many of them look very battle weary. Otlam scanned through them as the come out, and his eyes widened with grief when one of the men was holding Kruk's hammer.

"What happened?" Otlam demanded, "Where's Kruk?"

The man was crying as he spoke, "There were too many, way more than we anticipated. He saved us, let us go while he stayed behind to finish them all off. He gave his life for us."

My heart became heavy and I felt like I could cry. Otlam did cry, and I felt had empathy for him. He took the hammer and held it tight in his hands. "Get the food supply and gather all the men together. We have to get back to the village. I have a funeral to arrange."


© 2014 Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on June 11, 2014
Last Updated on June 11, 2014


Author

Draven
Draven

Mount Sterling, KY



About
Hi, I'm Draven. I'm a father, philosopher, artist, writer, poet, and musician. I have a passion for the world and a deep love of all people in it. These are pieces of poetry or bits of writing t.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven