Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Draven

Vince met me outside of the town. We hid in the shadows on the south side when the sun had crept past the horizon and went to sleep for the night.

He remained covered, his face hidden. "Good news," he said, "I located both of the guys you wanted."

My heart began to beat faster and my chest tightened with anticipation, "Did you find out who they are?"

"No, they never took off their cowls, he said while shaking his head. There was a moment of silence before he spoke again, his tone changed to curiosity and sympathy, "Aquosin, what did they do to you?"

I didn't answer, nor did I face his direction. I felt like I had to hide it. He wouldn't understand. How could he?

"I'm not trying to bother you about it, but I know how you feel about death. You don't have to tell me, but I know what you plan to do. And I also know that they must have done something terrible to make you want this."

I avoided the conversation and began walking away. He didn't try to stop me. I felt bad, like I was abandoning him, but I could not tell him what had happened. I couldn't admit what I had done.






The shops were busy the next morning. Players were all over, buying and selling items of all kinds. The sun poked out from behind the clouds and the air was perfect. I felt out of place for some reason, like I was apart from everyone else there. Maybe it was the blood on my hands that only I knew about.

I checked out some of the stands, particularly the one with daggers displayed on stands. Each of them had intricate designs on them that made them look fancy, however my experienced eyes knew that they were low quality and knew better than to waste gold on them. Typical, I thought, even in Realitas there are people trying to cheat others out of money.

"Hey," a voice said. I turned and found Rose standing behind me. She smiled at me, her lips curving perfectly. My chest tightened and I didn't understand why. "I got ur message to meet you here.

"Ya, I need you to tell me how to pay off my debt."

She gave me a puzzled look, "Debt?"

I nodded, "You saved my life, and so now I have to pay you back."

"That's what you're supposed to do when someone is dying. You don't have to pay me for that."

I persisted, "I do."

"Alright, if you say so." She smiled again and began looking at the daggers. "You're cute."

Her comment took me off guard, and for a moment I felt both happy with what she had said, and also relieved that she didn't just think I was pathetic. "Well, I do try."

She smiled again and motioned for me to follow her, "Come on." We walked down the road, passing the shops and stands as other players bustled about. "So why do u travel alone?"

I didn't know how to answer her. I couldn't tell her the truth, not without revealing what I had done. "I guess it's just easier for me." It was the truth, but it felt like I was lying to her. "What about you?"

"I'm actually the second in command of the knights. But a lot has been happening and I haven't gone out much for a while. One of my friends hurt me. I guess I've just been depressed."

She was so open and honest with me that I couldn't help but feel comfortable around her. I had a lot of trouble keeping myself back behind the wall that separated me from everyone else. I felt tempted to drop my guard, but that scared me.

"What do you wanna do when you get out of this game?" she asked.

"Who says we'll get out? It's taken this long. How do you know the problem will be fixed?"

"I don't know," she replied, "but I have hope, and I don't plan on giving up. Anyone can quit. Not everyone can fight the whole way through. "

"Ya, I guess so."

"You know what, I've decided how you can repay me."

"How?" I asked.

"I want to go to the city to the East of here. It's far enough that traveling alone isn't safe, and you could go with me." Her request surprised me. I didn't understand how she could put that kind of trust in someone that she hardly knew, but I had a debt to pay, and I couldn't let her go alone if there would likely be danger along the way.

"Alright," I said, "Sounds like a plan."


© 2014 Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on June 17, 2014
Last Updated on June 17, 2014


Author

Draven
Draven

Mount Sterling, KY



About
Hi, I'm Draven. I'm a father, philosopher, artist, writer, poet, and musician. I have a passion for the world and a deep love of all people in it. These are pieces of poetry or bits of writing t.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven