Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Draven

A long dirt road passed through a grassy field of green that stretched on as far as the eye could see. Clouds provided us with shade from the sun high above. Everything was perfect, even the breeze that brushed lightly through our hair. Mili and I walked along, enjoying the peace the day had given us.

"Do you have any pets back in the real world?" Mili asked.

"Not anymore. I had a cat when I was little. We had to let her go."

"I always wanted a dog, but we never got one." She stretched as we walked, "Dad said he was gonna get me one but then he never did."

"Why not?"

She scowled, "I don't know. My brother got a goldfish once, but that's the only pet we've ever had. I remember being so jealous that he got one and I didn't, but that I was only six then and I -" Her sentence was cut off when she pointed up the road.

A thin man with short shaggy brown hair walked away from us. His clothes were torn and he had no weapon. He fell onto his side, not moving.

We ran to him, helping him to sit up. He had blood coming from his mouth and a a massive bruise on the side of his face. I opened my Inventory menu and got him a strong health potion that he drank hastily. His bruised face returned to normal.

"What is your name? What happened?" I asked frantically.

"My name is Otlam. I'm a farmer in the village not far from here. We got ambushed. I managed to escape." His breath was heavy and spent.

Mili studied him, "Who ambushed you?"

"Bandits. They came to our village, a group of them. They demanded that we give them our food supply from our crops. Our people are running out, and several families are starving. A small party of us went to see how many there were and they ambushed us. I'm the only one that made it."

"How far away is the village?" I asked him.

"About a league up the road. It slopes down so you can't see it from here."

"Alright. We'll go with you."

"What? You don't have to do that." He seemed shocked.

I smiled, "We can help you. It's no bother for us."

He gets up on his feet. "Now that is something you don't hear everyday." We started down the road as he continued, "I know that being stuck here is a problem, but teamwork is the best way to stay alive. Too many players only care about themselves. So what are you? Siblings?"

"No," Mili laughed, "he's my guardian - and friend." I could feel my face getting red, but Otlam only smiled.

"That's cool. That means you must be pretty strong. After all, the only way here is through the ice region. Tough area. So what's your names?"

"I'm Aquosin. This is Mili," I answered.

He nodded, "Nice to make your acquaintance."





The village was a lot bigger than I had expected. Small cottages were spread out everywhere around the land. Several large barns dotted the area. Crops grew everywhere and I wondered how they worked. I didn't think the game would make them grow according to season, but I couldn't be sure.

There was an hint of fear in the air. Fear, and longing. The women seemed weary. The men seemed broken. The peace was lost. Everyone eyed me cautiously. They gave sad looks when they say Otlam returning without the other party members.

From within the village came a group of players, farmers with simple weapons following a single man. He was muscular and clad in leather armor. He had short red hair that was combed neatly to the left side. A large hammer was strapped securely to his back. His deep blue eyes watched my every move.

"Kruk," Otlam said to the man. He was obviously their leader.

"Otlam, meet us in the barn. The others will be there." His voice was deep. He never took his eyes off me, "Who are these players? Why have you brought them here?"

"They helped me. They're with me," Otlam responded.

Kruk hesitated before he spoke, "You may keep your gear, but no sudden moves or you die. The are tough times for us and we can't trust you. What are your names?"

"Aquosin," I answered, "and this is Mili."

"You will come with us to the barn and you'll wait outside. The child will stay here."

Mili clung to my arm and I held her protectively. "She stays with me."

"She will be well treated. No harm will come to her, I give you my word."

Otlam nodded to me and so I accepted Kruk's terms. Mili stayed behind and I was escorted with the group to the barn in the middle of the village. I felt like i was leaving part of myself behind.

We stood outside and Kruk told me to stop. "You helped Otlam, how?"

"He was wounded and he needed help. I gave him a potion and came here with him."

Kruk looked back at Otlam, "Do you vouch that this player is good and is no threat to us or the people of this village?"

"I do," said Otlam.

"And do you understand that should he harm anyone the punishment is death and you too will share that sentence?"

"I do," Otlam confirmed.

"Then you can come in and join us now," Kruk motioned for me to enter with the others.

The inside was full of hay piles and the smell of old wood. A small group of players were already inside waiting. They too looked cautiously at me as I entered. I stood beside Otlam as Kruk moved to the front and began to speak, "Otlam, what happened when you left with the others?"

"We followed the trail but got ambushed," Otlam said, "There were too many of them and they were too strong. I managed to get away."

"I am glad you have returned. The loss is great, and I mourn for them. But I also celebrate that our scouts bring us good news. They say they've located the bandit's hideout. "

A short man steps forward, "We found a small opening in the woods to the West of us. They have a shelter there that goes underground. We saw them pulling the food in there. There are not as many as we thought. They are higher levels, but there are only about twenty of them total."

"Excellent," Kruk said with a smile, "that is what we needed."

"You mean to attack them on their turf?" said a man in the crowd.

"I do. It is risky, but I see no other option."

"We can't take them. They're way too strong."

Kruk nodded understandingly, "Perhaps. But our people are dying and they are in need of food."

"They are too strong," the man pleaded.

Kruk went to him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "You have a wife here in this village that loves you. I know you fear dying and her being left all alone, but you don't have to be afraid. Levels, skills, attack power - those are all attributes of this fictional game. And although death is very real here, so is the love in your heart, and its power cannot be measured by a game. Stand with me, stand for your family, and take back what is yours."

The whole group cheered and Kruk hugged the man for a moment. I understood what he meant, and found that I wanted to help them. I knew they could use my level and skill to their advantage.

"I want to help you fight," I said.

"Your offer means a lot, and we will accept your aid. You will remain with Otlam. We will attack tonight when the night arrives."


© 2014 Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like a battle brewing. lol A well written and intriguing chapter. Enjoyed.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 11, 2014
Last Updated on June 11, 2014


Author

Draven
Draven

Mount Sterling, KY



About
Hi, I'm Draven. I'm a father, philosopher, artist, writer, poet, and musician. I have a passion for the world and a deep love of all people in it. These are pieces of poetry or bits of writing t.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Draven


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Draven