A New Addition

A New Addition

A Chapter by Elliara
"

Shinde meets Marilira.

"
“Parry, Shinde. Watch my sword as well as your own,” Master Daeron shouted over the clash of his sword against his opponent. Shinde furrowed his brow in deep concentration as he heeded the word of Master, and continued to battle him. Determined to one-day defeat Master Daeron, Shinde frantically parried, but quickly lost control and his sword flew out of his hand and landed with a dull thud in the grass.

Lowering his head, Shinde let out a sigh. That was the fifth time this week he had let Master Daeron defeat him. He usually could handle the old man, but recently he could not. Either the old man practiced in the dead of night, or lazily let Shinde defeat him.

“Tut, tut, young warrior, that was a poor performance. I know you can do much better. Go on, pick up your sword and let us try it again. Pay attention to what I say this time.”

Nodding, Shinde walked over and picked up his sword, ready to start again. He got into position and held his sword in front of him. Before either of them could begin, a large man appeared in the horizon, walking towards them. Shinde smiled, for even at a distance, he could recognize him as leader of Arkam’sul, his home. The outline of the man came into focus as he stopped a few feet away.

He was middle-aged with dark gray hair cascading to his shoulders. His skin, a dark green, which blended in almost with the surrounding environment. His eyes slanted downward, holding light blue orbs that shone like a brilliant gem. A tailored suit of finely sewn silk adorned his body. A small crest depicting images of the Elementals covered his right breast. A sword fitting neatly in its scabbard rested securely on his hip. His boots, polished to perfection and black as night with three small buckles across each one, clearly made of gold.

“Leader Raegir, how nice of you to stop by,” Master Daeron said in greeting.

“Greetings, leader,” Shinde answered while bowing.

Waving his hand, Raegir said in a thick, elven accent, “Verduὶ, citizens. I hope you are faring well?”

Shinde nodded and glanced at the leader, noticing dark bags under his eyes. His normal, cheerful expression seemed replaced by something dark and forlorn. Usually, a bright smile was on his face but today, he was tight lipped.

Frowning, he faltered for a second before asking, “Excuse me if I’m prying, Leader Raegir, but is something wrong?”

“Master Daeron,” answered Raegir. “Please excuse me for the interruption, but unfortunately I have some business to discuss with young Shinde here, and therefore need to end his lesson.”

Confusion set into Shinde’s furrowed brow, as he listened to what Raegir said. It was not particularly his nature to get involved in either the politics or the decision making of Arkam’sul, but did offer small pieces of advice from time to time.

“Of course, old friend,” Master Daeron replied, inclining his head.

“Shinde, my boy, we will continue to work on your technique in a few days. I must travel to the neighboring counties. My services are being called on.”

A sigh of relief washed over Shinde as he heard that, and could not bear to think of another grueling duel with the old man. He gave Master Daeron a forced smile and nodded showing that he understood.

Bowing, Shinde watched the old man hobble away to a small hut and disappear behind an oak door. He turned toward Raegir and asked, “You wanted to speak with me?”

“Come, Shinde. I have much to discuss with you,” Raegir said a stern voice.

Shinde sheathed his sword and picked up his pack lying on the ground nearby. Hastily putting it on, he jogged over to the leader to walk beside him. They walked in silence out of the practice arena and into the bustling streets of Arkam’sul. They strolled quickly through the streets, and stopped in front of the Tree of Healing. Shinde noticed him frown and then beckoned Shinde to him. Shinde fell in step with the leader and once again, they made their way to the marketplace that began to form directly across from the Tree.

Raegir slowed down to a slow walk and glanced in and out of the shop windows making vague comments to Shinde about the style of an object or of a person. To Shinde, it made no sense, and was starting to get nervous in the way the leader was acting.

They entered a small pub called The Dragon’s Heart. Taking a seat at a back counter, Shinde followed suit and sat across the leader. Clearing his throat, Shinde gushed out, “I’m sorry to sound rude at the moment, but I’m extremely confused. You’ve been mumbling to yourself and saying things that are making no sen-”

With a warning look from Raegir, Shinde stopped his rambling, and a waiter appeared and inclined his head at Raegir.

“Anything to drink, Leader Raegir?” the waiter asked calmly.

“Your strongest elven wine and a malt cider for the boy,” Raegir said in a commanding tone.

“Yes, sir,” replied the waiter and scurried off to fulfill the order.

Shinde sat back, and decided it would be better to wait it out. Several minutes passed and the waiter returned with the drinks. As the waiter left, Shinde gazed at the leader as he sipped his wine slowly, as if savoring the taste for the last time.

A half hour later, Shinde still had not touched his malt cider and was patiently waiting for an explanation of the leader’s mysterious behavior. Finally, the elven boy watched the man drain the last of his drink, rise from his seat and made a gesture with his hand for Shinde to follow.

Reluctantly, Shinde followed the leader to a dark back room, lit by a single lamp. A rickety table sat in the far corner and a small fireplace near a window. A cold draft came in from the open window, and Shinde walked over and closed it.

Shinde sat at the table, and waited silently. Raegir sat down across from him and begin to speak, in a hushed voice, “I’m sorry for the mysteriousness today, young one. It was not my intent to be so withdrawn, but I am in a bit of a pickle here and wished to discuss with you. Please let me explain first, before you fire off questions, it will help a lot.”

Shinde nodded silently and sat back readying himself for the leader’s story.

“As you know, every month we are blessed from the Divinities a new citizen to join our beloved and small community. I always greet them and help them get settled in showing them the ropes and place them in either a magic or combat school, along with their race.”

“We are blessed within the next day or so, to receive this month’s new citizen. Her name is Marilira. The Divinities have just created her and sent her on her way here.”

“Okay,” Shinde said. “What does this have to do with me?”

Shinde noticed the leader stand up, and let out a heavy sigh. He began to pace and continue talking with his head bent, “There is more. I assume you know about the history of prophesies?”

“Yes. Over time, certain prophesies pertaining to many different events have been fulfilled, but there is only one that has remained dissatisfied. It is the only written in the history books at the library.”

“Correct. That one prophesy pertains to a war and hero or heroine.”

“On the outskirts of Nys’ril, there are nomad tribes that communicate with dark magic. One of the forgotten Kings of the Ogres was struck by a powerful source of magic and became rogue. In him, dark blood coursed through him and formed a small band of ogres causing destruction around the surrounding areas. Over the years, passed down through each generation, the dark magic strengthened and rose to a point of total destruction. For some reason though, after the fall of the Fire Dwarfs, they wavered and went into hiding. Now, they are stirring again and attempting to start a war.”

Shinde shifted in his seat, and frowned. He was not particularly good in history, and but this was not good. He lifted his head up to meet the leader’s troubled gaze and asked, “Is this Marilira girl the one then?”

“Between us and the Divinities, she was created for this purpose. It is why I am entrusting her to you. You will make sure she settles in well. I will enroll her into school with you, combat and magic. If there is any trouble, let me know right away. I will help her also; do not think I have left you alone. She probably needs a friend, so be nice. Do I make myself clear in your duties? You would be doing me a great honor in helping me.”

Shinde stood and walked over to the fireplace. This was a lot. He was being entrusted to watch a prophesy girl. He did not have many friends, and the few that he had were older and had their own lives. Almost to manhood, Shinde needed to find himself a suitor, but with one disaster and heartbreak after another, he gave up.

Shaking his head, and realized it could be a chance of a lifetime and did not want to lose his favor from Raegir, he turned and said, “Leader Raegir, you have my word that she will have my utmost protection and it would be an honor to help you in this matter.”

Shinde saw a flicker of happiness and Raegir smiled weakly at him. It was the first ray of hope that he saw in the leader and hoped he would do quite well. He hoped Marilira will like him, and they can become friends. A wide grin spread on Shinde’s face.

“Now, I’d like you meet me at the Tree of Healing tomorrow at midday. She is expected to arrive then. Now, run along, my wife is cooking dinner and is expecting you,” Raegir answered softly.

“Yes, sir!” cried Shinde and he took off running for the Leader’s house, where he was instructed to stay since his own birth from the Tree of Healing. Raegir was like a father to him, and supported him through his first two years.

Night had fallen as he reached the large mansion the leader called home. As he opened the large oak door, the sudden smell of freshly baked bread and soup filled his nostrils. His stomach grumbled and did not realize how famished he was. Making his way through the large marble archway and the thudding of his boots against the wooden floor, he entered the kitchen where Raegir’s wife, Adelena, greeted him warmly.

Shinde was suddenly enveloped in a warm hug and got a quick peck on his cheek. Her soft voice filled the air as she said, “Shinde! Hello. I just took out the bread and the soup will be ready shortly. Have a seat. How was your day today?”

Shinde began to tell Adelena about his disastrous combat practice and his early morning lessons in magic as he flopped into a chair at the kitchen table. He was not sure if he should mention his conversation with Raegir to her, but decided to ask, “Is the leader feeling okay, Mrs. Aldadel? He seems a bit preoccupied lately.”

He tilted his head at the plump woman in front of him, and noticed a scowl appear on her face. Her eyes darkened slightly, and a hissing noise escaped her lips. Shinde could tell that she was not happy with him.

“Has he said something to you?” she asked rather severe.

“No, ma’am. He just remained tight lipped and asked for my help in a discussion we had earlier this evening. He seemed distant, and a bit worried,” Shinde shrugged off the last part, hoping he had not said too much.

“Alright,” she answered, placing a bowl of soup and freshly cut bread in front of Shinde.

“Thank you. This smells delicious as always,” Shinde replied with a warm smile on his face. He loved the Aldadel family tremendously. It was customary for an eighteen-year-old boy or girl to find a family willing to adopt, as all new coming citizens had no history, and hoped they would choose him.

Sipping his soup and enjoying the hot meal, the front door quietly opened and in came Raegir. He ruffled Shinde’s hair playfully and kissed his wife gently. Shinde could sense some tension in the room, and cleared his throat announcing that he was going to bed. He hugged Adelena and gave Raegir a firm handshake before disappearing out of the kitchen and up the five flights of stairs to his lonely tower bedroom.

He unlocked his bedroom door with a single silver key; the handle shaped as a sword, and entered a square room, his room. Shinde loved his tower bedroom; it was his private sanctuary; a place where he could let the events of the day wash over him and lull him to sleep.

In one corner of the room, a king-sized bed with a pure oak headboard and canopy rested. Pure cotton and silk sheets and a goose-feathered comforter adorned it. An embroidered pillow lay on top, with the single phrase in elven, “Aa’ lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha” meaning, May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown.

Next to the bed, was a dresser with two drawers and a mirror hung on the wall above. The dresser had small symbols etched into the wood, depicting the four elementals that created Nys’ril, Earth, Fire, Wind and Water.

Shinde sauntered over to his bed and began to undress. He needed his rest for tomorrow was his big day to give off a first impression to the new girl. He was excited but nervous. He wanted to impress both Raegir and Marilira.

Snuggled now under his sheets, Shinde flicked the light off in his room, and stared at the star embroidered canopy above him until sleep consumed him, the last person on his mind being Marilira.
 
h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h
 
Bright rays of sunshine filtered through the tall tower windows waking Shinde up. Shinde turned over on his side, trying to hide the somewhat blinding rays of sun from hitting his face. Grumbling, Shinde reluctantly sat up and slid out of bed. He stumbled sleepily into the small nook of his tower, where a small pool of water filled the room. He removed his trousers, sank into the deep, warm water, and let the water flow over him, allowing him a minute to ready himself for the day.

He scrubbed himself clean, got out, and found a small towel hidden in the room. Wrapping it around himself, he began to dress in his combat uniform. First, he pulled on a pair of silk trousers, a pattern of elementals embroidered on one side of the pant leg. Next, a silk shirt; smooth and silky to the touch, it had three small buttons on the front, and then split open. The left breast of the shirt had the same depiction as Leader Raegir’s, a crest of the Elementals. A leather belt, looped through his pants, and a silver plated sheath rested on his right hip, with his custom-made sword nestled within the sheath. To complete his outfit, he pulled over his feet, knee high boots made out of black leather with one gold clasp on each side of the boot.

Shinde looked himself in the mirror, and quickly ran a hand through his hair. He smiled at his reflection and whisked himself downstairs into the kitchen. He stopped suddenly just outside the kitchen, as two loud voices shouted in the kitchen. He hid himself behind a wall, and listened.

“Raegir Aldadel, this is no time to question the Divinities! That poor girl is counting on you,” said a fretful Adelena, worry drawn in her voice.

“Addie, dear, listen to me! Shinde said that he would help me! They promised me! He promised me!” shouted Raegir, frustration pouring through every word.

“Shinde is just a boy. He should not be involved in this. Besides, I thought we agreed that he’d be our son, in six suns time?” Adelena brought her voice down to a motherly concern.

“I…need him to understand how serious this is. Our home could be destroyed in six suns time. Yes, dear, we did agree to adopt him.”
Shinde tuned the rest of the argument out and tried to calm his erratic heart. They are going to adopt me, they are going to adopt me he silently thought to himself and cheered at the one hopeful thought.

Clearing his throat, he walked into the kitchen, “Good Morning.”

Shinde noticed Adelena give Raegir a warning glare, and then turned to him and said with a forced smile, “Good morning, dear. I’ll have breakfast done soon.”

“Morning, Shinde,” Raegir said smugly. “Excited for today, son?”

Son. He called me his son. His heart swelled with pride at the thought, and gave a bright smile toward the leader.

“Yes sir. I have never seen someone come out of the Tree before.”

“Ah, a new experience then, aye?”

“Aye.”

Shinde noticed Adelena bustling over with a piece of bread with some jam. “Eat up; you will need your strength.”

Shinde nodded in thanks, and devoured his breakfast. After quite some time, he felt Raegir place a hand on his shoulder and say, “Time to go.”

His heart beat in nervousness and in anticipation. He stood up, hugged Adelena goodbye, and followed Raegir out of the house, and they strolled together toward the Tree of Healing. While walking, both man and boy made light conversation, Shinde retelling his schooling adventures and his combat training. He even let Raegir in on his hunt for a suitor and family.

“I hope that in six suns times I will find a suitor and also a family. Though, honestly I would like the family to come first.”

“Did you have a family in mind?” Raegir asked with a tiny sparkle in his eyes.

“Well,” Shinde began, “I…oh, look we’re here!” Shinde said, hoping not to show that he overheard.

Midday was fast approaching. The sun rose gently in the sky, its rays becoming stronger and a warmth settled over Arkam’sul. Shinde began to sweat in his uniform and silently cursed himself for choosing to wear it. He walked over to a small shady place and sat down, resting his back against the trunk of the Tree. The Tree of Healing always amazed him in its beauty. It was a pure cherry tree, its trunk almost 40 feet in diameter. Long, thick roots poked out on the ground. Its branches flourished every year with light pink leaves, creating a pretty arch that proved to be the prime spot for festivals to take place.

Shinde tilted his head back and watched the world around him unfold. Citizens of all ages and sizes bustled along the dirt roads. Amiable chatter filled the air, along with elven children shouting and laughing as they played their days away. The ringing of a bell resounded over the county, signaling that it had now struck midday.

Shinde looked back toward the leader and noticed him pacing. He was about to say something, until he felt the trunk of the tree against his back move. In a split second, a body hit him full force from behind and pushed him forward. Shinde and the new comer rolled and tumbled before landing in a tangled heap at the feet of Raegir.

Shinde landed on top of a girl, and immediately his heart started hammering against his chest. Raegir failed to mention how pretty she was. Exquisite, like a china doll, he thought. He managed to extract himself from her, and stood up. He offered her his hand, but she did not take it. Disappointed, he brushed the dirt off his uniform and stood with authority next to Raegir.

“Verdui, Citizen,” Raegir said to the girl.

“He-hello?”

“Do not be frightened, little one. My name is Raegir Aldadel. I am the leader of this county.”

“W-Where a-am I?” she stuttered out, before a flush crept into her face.

Shinde let a wry smile pass over his features. He could understand her hesitation and confusion. He extended his own hand out, “Verdui. My name is Shinde.”

“I think,” she stated confidently, “my name is Marilira. A lady told me in my head.”

“Marilira, I welcome you to the kingdom of Nys’ril. You are standing in one of its five counties. This is Arkam’sul, your new home. Shinde will be helping you get settled here.”

Shinde could feel a cold gaze come from her, and noticed her face scrunch up in distaste. Frowning, he said, “I don’t bite.”

“He is one of my respected aides, Marilira,” stated the leader in a stern voice. “You will treat him with respect. Enough, we need to start settling you in. Perhaps, a change of clothes?”

Shinde heard an embarrassed laugh and her face turn red as she noticed her nakedness. Shinde turned away, and purposely did not look. He did not want to say or do anything he would regret. He noticed Raegir grab Marilira’s hand and zip her along the dirt road into the booming marketplace. He heard a voice in his head say, “Tomorrow, you will take over. I need to explain some things to her.”

Shinde sighed and decided to get on with his life. He began to walk to the library, where it was the only public building where he could concentrate. He let Marilira’s image burn in his brain, and then he let it fade, knowing somehow this was going to be harder than it looked.


© 2011 Elliara


Author's Note

Elliara
POV, grammar, punctuation, characterization, and anything else you pick up. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like where you are going. This chapter is a little too filled with background infromation. Perhaps it would be better to work some of that information into the story as you go. Presenting it like this makes the opening part of the chapter read a bit like a text book, and your story drags a bit.

Otherwise very good and very creative!!
I love fantasy :)

The last sentence of the first paragraph doesn't seem correct.

perhaps it shoud read:
The branches of each tree are woven together like a hand made blanket, completely covering the whole kingdom. Therefore, the sun is completely blocked out, settling darkness over the land.






Also, some punctuation things:
1) You have a few coma slices. I won't go through them all. But just remember Use a coma to set apart to complete sentences that are joined by a word like "and".
Ex:
Amiable chatter could be heard along the roadside, (and) children were running and squealing happily in every direction.
The other option is to use a semi colon.
Ex:
Amiable chatter could be heard along the roadside; children were running and squealing happily in every direction.
Here, the semi colon takes the place of the the "and" (or any conjunction).
Check this out: http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/punct/col-semi.html

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

small typo: (needs a coma and an "and")

Nodding, Marilira proceeded to finish her platter savoring each and every bite. A few minutes latter, her stomach was full, (and) she gave Raegir a satisfied smile.

I like to edit and look for typos. Hope you don't mind :)

I like this chapter. You set a fun scene.



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like where you are going. This chapter is a little too filled with background infromation. Perhaps it would be better to work some of that information into the story as you go. Presenting it like this makes the opening part of the chapter read a bit like a text book, and your story drags a bit.

Otherwise very good and very creative!!
I love fantasy :)

The last sentence of the first paragraph doesn't seem correct.

perhaps it shoud read:
The branches of each tree are woven together like a hand made blanket, completely covering the whole kingdom. Therefore, the sun is completely blocked out, settling darkness over the land.






Also, some punctuation things:
1) You have a few coma slices. I won't go through them all. But just remember Use a coma to set apart to complete sentences that are joined by a word like "and".
Ex:
Amiable chatter could be heard along the roadside, (and) children were running and squealing happily in every direction.
The other option is to use a semi colon.
Ex:
Amiable chatter could be heard along the roadside; children were running and squealing happily in every direction.
Here, the semi colon takes the place of the the "and" (or any conjunction).
Check this out: http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/punct/col-semi.html

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Free author website
Try us! FREE..Before you spend $1000s of dollars, spend 10 hours tinkering on Wordpress, or pay $20 a month for hosting.

Stats

360 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 11, 2010
Last Updated on January 13, 2011
Tags: Fantasy
Previous Versions


Author

Elliara
Elliara

About
20 years old, and a senior in college. I love to write fanfiction and this is my first attempt at writing a fantasy novel. Writing keeps me occupied, but its what I do on the side. more..

Writing
{1} Reality Hurts {1} Reality Hurts

A Chapter by Elliara


{2} The Letter {2} The Letter

A Chapter by Elliara


{3} The Job {3} The Job

A Chapter by Elliara