{3} The Job

{3} The Job

A Chapter by Elliara
"

Hermione gives Draco a task

"

Draco stared wide-eyed at the witch. His mind couldn't register the fact that she was department head of this s****y department. He opened his mouth, as if attempting to say something, but quickly closed it. Hermione Granger chuckled nervously at him, and asked, "May I?" gesturing to the seat across from him. He nodded curtly.


She sat down and gazed shyly at him. She pondered how to approach the subject but realized it was embarrassing as it was to be asking the "enemy" for help on her marriage. Clearing her throat, she looked directly at him and said in the coldest tone she could muster.


"Let's cut the bullshit. We both know that you don't want this position and that you don't give a damn about the safety about our magical creatures. Fact is, it was just a ploy to get you here so I can talk to you." Her checks flustered red as she paused. God, I must be desperate, to ask for Draco Malfoy's help; she thought pathetically to herself.


Malfoy's cold gray eyes stared at her flustered face. His heart was pounding. His head was spinning and his fantasies were taking over his emotions. He wanted to just reach out to her, but he was not quite ready to spill his feelings to her. Switching back to his school demeanor, he glanced coldly at her and said,


"What do you need, Granger? If I recall, I thought it was the foul, loathing evil little cockroach that you hated so much for the 7 years we were at school together. I thought I was the big a*****e because I always called you a Mudblood?"


He knew he was being rude and it pained him to be like this to her but he couldn't risk showing the soft side of him. Draco tentatively reached for Hermione's hand resting on the table. The minute he touched her, the electricity ran through his body, causing him to inhale sharply, and quickly withdrew his hand.


Hermione was startled. Never would she have known Draco Malfoy to carry a caring side. A dark tinge of red crept up her face, before she managed to say, "I need your help, Draco."


She dropped her head to her chest, embarrassed beyond anything imaginable. The tears that she held back for so long, were threatening to come out. She refused to cry in front of Draco Malfoy, of all people, but she was in dire need of help. Ron and her were falling apart, and she didn't want to lose him after all they had been through. Her heart wanted Ron to return the feeling of being loved again. Matter of fact, when Draco reached for her hand, her heart raced and felt something she hadn't felt in years.


She pushed her emotions aside and said in a shaky voice, "I-I'm coming to with all nastiness and past events put aside. I am asking you this, as a friend, a co-worker. M-My marriage is falling apart and I don't know what to do. You are the only person I can think of, who would be willing to help me. No one else will, for they think that I am imagining things. Ron doesn't love me anymore. He is never home anymore. When he is, he goes directly to the kids. I get the cold shoulder from him, so to speak."


Draco could see the hurt coursing through her words. He saw the pain written her face as one lonely tear trickle down her cheek. He could sense her desperation. He could feel the need for her to cry. Her pride and stubbornness to realize that nothing else could be done to save it was beginning to show. His heart cried out in pain for her. He knew only too well what she was going through. His divorce from Pansy was a rough one. He didn't want to go through with it, but there was nothing left between them anymore. It was more of a routine then love itself.


He looked at her, all coldness in his voice gone, and said, "What do you need me to do?" The softness in his voice filled Hermione with happiness. Oh God, she thought why the hell am I feeling so happy now? I don't want him, I want Ron. She shook her head. It was absurd. These feelings rocked through her heart and thoughts were giving her a headache.


In a soft voice, Hermione answered him, "I need to know what I am doing wrong. Why is Ron being so cold to me? Why is he never home anymore?"

As she finally spoke them aloud, the hurt clutched at her chest. Hermione choked back a sob and stared at Draco for his response. Draco pursed his lips. He was starting to hate the Weasel even more than before for treating Hermione like he did. His lips were drawn into a tight line. He looked at her and said, "Granger, for all its worth, I will try my best to see what your husband is doing. How about we meet here next week? Same place, same time."


Hermione smiled weakly at Draco and gave a small nod. She got up and gave him a quick hug and a peck on his cheek. Laughing a bit, she said "You know, for a Slytherin a*****e you always were, you sure do know how to make a Gryffindor feel better."


With that said, she left the Leaky Cauldron in a more cheerful mood then she was when she first walked in. Draco stared at her in disbelief but allowed himself a small smile. This was going to be a very interesting job but also gave way to his plan in letting her know his real feelings for her.


Paying for his drink, he gathered his coat and stepped outside. Whistling to himself, he walked back to his flat noticing that this day was not as bad as he thought it would turn out.



© 2010 Elliara


Author's Note

Elliara
Rate/Read/Review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on November 11, 2010
Last Updated on November 11, 2010


Author

Elliara
Elliara

About
20 years old, and a senior in college. I love to write fanfiction and this is my first attempt at writing a fantasy novel. Writing keeps me occupied, but its what I do on the side. more..

Writing
{1} Reality Hurts {1} Reality Hurts

A Chapter by Elliara


{2} The Letter {2} The Letter

A Chapter by Elliara


{4} Playing Dirty {4} Playing Dirty

A Chapter by Elliara