Reducing Anxiety in  Initial Classroom Environment

Reducing Anxiety in Initial Classroom Environment

A Stage Play by Arundass TP
"

Word games reduces anxiety, shyness and helps to find out reading disabilities in common.

"
Introduction

Word games are excellent tools to reduce anxiety, in a classroom situation. However, word games such as giving lengthy words or a set of nonsense words to a student, and asked to participate in a group can be seen as an anxiety reducing factor as well as creating live environment in a classroom. The student teacher communication is also build-up after such word game show. The whole group has the participation in such word games both written or presenting orally.

Anxiety is a vague, objectless fear or an uneasiness or a fearful feeling while approaching a new place, thing or attempting a new problem.

It happens most of the students come to classroom from different environments and have unique emotional and feelings. They expect easiness and spontaneous results. Some are more creativity blended. In a mixed classroom there are possibilities for few who don’t want to mix with other sex or have instant communication. Word games on the other hand relieves their attitudes breaking their stereotypic behaviour.

This word game also is a measurement of shyness, finding out word expression pattern, Language usage, any Reading and grasping disability of a person.

Method

Giving written nonsense/ lengthy words to each person to speak aloud standing in front of the whole group.

Materials
Paper
Pen

Procedure

A person is called randomly out of the whole group.
2. A folded paper is given to the person.

3. The person should write his/her name in it.

4. A nonsense word is written in that paper.

5. The person must read it aloud his name, from where he is from and read nonsense / lengthy word .

Discussion

A classroom of 20 students are selected. They are new to that course, and new to explore that subject. First, most of them are unfriendly and looking odd to each other. An anxious environment. Quiet and boring.

The introduction of lectures are as usual. After that the group is asked to introduce themselves, from which each person must step in front of the classroom, write their name, place and read aloud to the group looking the paper which includes a lengthy/ nonsense word!

The participants, are more anxious at first, some burrowing their head down poster, some wondering what to do and some expecting to face situation.

Out of whole group trials, after trial of first few number of person’s the whole group became funny, conductive, energetic to face the next situation.

Conclusion

1. The classroom has better relationship.
2. Reduces anxiety inside classroom situation.
3. The participants are more relaxed, and happy.
4. The teacher-student communication gap is reduced.
5. Classroom appears more conductive and communicative.

© 2023 Arundass TP


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Anyway you can break any tension of the formal settings of the boring old schools sounds wonderful to me...maybe take them outside or kidnap them all to some mountain peak with strange animals and costumes of renegade souls from a tyrant era. I got kicked out of every school I ever went to..lol. Finally returned and graduated college at the top of the class but what a dismal process that just seemed too slow and no one was truly engaged...You sound like you care and that's half the battle so Props~

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

School system must be restrructed. A student must not be kicked out, instead there is a way for enga.. read more



Reviews

Very interesting experiment to ease anxiety in the classroom, since each one came in with a different mood.
I prefer one on one as well...but that doesn't always happen....
Warmly
B

Posted 5 Months Ago


Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

Thank you friend 😊
TP
Not the reviews I do

Winston

Posted 5 Months Ago


Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

I understand. Have a nice day friend 😊
Dear Arundass TP, hmm, I see, I think it is a helpful suggestion,
I don't like anxiety, just like anyone else,
I found it odd to talk about sexuality in class for anxiety, LOL
um, the oddball, can be a good effect, it is done in psychology,
I even saw a proff. demonstrate such in singing,
to tell you the truth, I felt uneasy,
good to hear the writ, and hope it helps others, :) ---Maynard

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

Thank you friend 😊
1809 Black Plague December

4 Months Ago

you are most welcome Arundass TP 😜
1809 Black Plague December

4 Months Ago

you are most welcome Arundass TP 😜
Anyway you can break any tension of the formal settings of the boring old schools sounds wonderful to me...maybe take them outside or kidnap them all to some mountain peak with strange animals and costumes of renegade souls from a tyrant era. I got kicked out of every school I ever went to..lol. Finally returned and graduated college at the top of the class but what a dismal process that just seemed too slow and no one was truly engaged...You sound like you care and that's half the battle so Props~

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

School system must be restrructed. A student must not be kicked out, instead there is a way for enga.. read more
Oh~! That reminds me, I've grown up playing a lot of word games too, games such as Shiritori (しりとり) in Japan or those of similar nature. They certainly are good tools to stimulate the brain activities and social interactions since the motivation to win is a good inventive as well. It has been an informative read, author Arundass TP, thank you for sharing.

Posted 5 Months Ago


Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

Thank you friend 😊 Have a nice day 😊
An interesting read Arundass. A fun way to reduce anxiety levels in a classroom setting. I have always had problems in crowds, much preferring a one on one setting. I don’t think I will find myself back in a classroom now, but found your notes informative. Thank you my friend.
All good wishes.

Chris

Posted 5 Months Ago


Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

This is done / experimented by myself in an introductory class of hospital administration course whi.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Months Ago

Putting people at ease generates far better results:)
Very informative, nicely said

Posted 5 Months Ago


Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

Thank you friend
Although I'm not entirely sure what the context of this is, these are some good ideas for a classroom activity to break the ice and get to know each other better. There are a few hiccups in this piece you've provided, but I don't really feel the need to correct them. They remain as they are, with the intended message (mostly) coming through.

I would like to bring up something. I suspect there may be differences in cultures or ideology even, which is more than fine. But at least when I was growing up, I remember some kids in my class had the WORST anxiety. I know we all have to face our fears. But I feel like it ends up doing more damage than good when we force someone into a position they're not ready for. Nobody really wins, from what I've learned.

What if there was a choice? A starting group, all of which who volunteer to do the silly word game in front of the class. Then the second group, being last, all not choosing to go up. Instead, they would provide their OWN silly word, and the teacher could say it out loud. Maybe even act out how the word sounds, taking the attention off the nervous students and putting it on the teacher, therefore building that bond even better. Not only that, but depending on the teacher, that would be "the best part" of the game. It would make the shy students feel really good knowing that people loved the silly word they made, because the teacher made it better while being silly, and would be a confidence booster for them. It would maybe give them courage to speak up the next time.

Those are just ideas. Thanks for sharing this, though I am curious to know the context for what its for, assuming it isn't too personal.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Arundass TP

5 Months Ago

This word game cannot cure intense anxiety. But in general, in my experience it's Live and reducing .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2023
Last Updated on December 18, 2023
Tags: Psychology, Education

Author

Arundass TP
Arundass TP

Thalassery, Kerala, India



About
I am mad enough to write With a pen half filled ink On a torned paper I got Leaving others mad to read Inside the fantasies where I live. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Healing Healing

A Poem by Kenna Leshea