COWARDLY HOLIDAY

COWARDLY HOLIDAY

A Poem by Bear




Cupid’s cowardly holiday, so misunderstood by others
See Valentine’s Day was never meant to be for lovers
Love makes ordinary people extraordinarily bold
Willing to have their feeling unto the world told
They need not a special day to give them a voice
Of their being heard from, we are given no choice
But what about the fearful, who only dare to care
The timid and bashfully afraid who still want to share
It was for them that Valentine’s Day was really meant
Because no bravery is needed for a card to be sent
So this cowards holiday let someone know you care
And maybe they will return the favour if they dare
                                Bear

© 2016 Bear


Author's Note

Bear
I leave most punctuation to the reader that they can read the poem in their own meter, mood and motility. I thank you for taking the time to read my work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I find it funny and true in some way. Though nowadays, it's more of a business for big card companies and gift shops. A lot of noise is made about it. But may be you are right, some shy people might find it easy to say what they want to, on this day. Love does not need a special day ascribed to it...it goes on all the time. Still, I enjoyed reading your poem. Nicely written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

You are right, today it is a big business hype but where is the fun it writing about Hallmarks profi.. read more
I agree with what i think i understood from your poem. Love is not something that happens once a year so why do people only share it once? They are aware of the feelings they have but only share on a day that is full of it, they only do it then because that's when they feel enough courage to actually go and talk to someone. I never get why it is like that.
Well written, Good job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words, I shall gladly return the read and review favor soon :~)
I agree with you. And it really sucks when some of your best friends have a boyfriend or girlfriend and your excluded. It sucks when your the only one not being flirted with at school or work. It just sucks. I cannot bear it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

Doesn't it just make you want to shake your fist and yell :~)
Love has no particular day. and love is fearless.
I like your take on it though in today's world of texting and net, it is easy for people to become bold and say what they are feeling.
Nicely written

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

Yes exactly, that is why valentines day is really for people not brave enough to voice their interes.. read more
I loved it !! It's beautifully written . thank you for sharing my friend :))!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Bear

7 Years Ago

And thank you for stopping by, I am glad you enjoyed it :~)
zaisham9393

7 Years Ago

You are very welcome :)!!
A very unusual twist on this holiday laden with assumptions. Thank you for clarifying. I most enjoy your premise about this being a coward's holiday, becuz the shy ones hide behind a written communique. These days, it would be an impersonal text, perhaps, but I still love the idea of paper valentines being exchanged. Your writing style here is to twist each line into an a*s-backward & stilted construction, but this is well done, without twisting the reading into something that must be re-read to be understood.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bear

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing my poem, as you can see I like the power that poetic license offers me, be i.. read more
Very true... i loved it... i guess it has become our habit to celebrate or show our love in a certain time, we wait for the right moment or day to express our feelings, it's a shame... i read an article on how fast the cases of divorce is increasing, and one of the reason behind it said that both the husband and wife don't show their feelings or express them which they used to do before marriage... amazing write, if the world starts expressing love everyday without waiting for a reason then the world will be a much more peaceful and happy place.. hats off! ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bear

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the posting your thoughts, I will gladly return the read and review favor soon :~)
read more
It We should be willing to express how we are feeling. To the one's we love. Why should we have to do it on one specific day. Won't we love this person on the day before or afterwards. I think, we should have the courage to do this any day. Our hearts still feel as they do on this day too don't they.

Love is something, that should be celebrated everyday we live, with those we love. Your piece has a lot going for it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bear

8 Years Ago

You are right and that is why valentines day is not for lovers it is for hopeful friends and closest.. read more
Richard Patrick

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
I liked this line a lot, "Love makes ordinary people extraordinarily bold"
That's a line, I'm getting deeper and deeper into. Left an impression on me.

Quite thought provoking perspective on 'valentine's day'
Infact, I would say.. all these days - Mother's day, Father's day, Friendship day..
you don't need a date, time and calendar to express what you mean to them, they are always in your heart and they are worthier than the 'date' every year.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Bear

8 Years Ago

You are absolutely right, how hard is it to find a reason to make every day a special day and thank .. read more
Tandin

7 Years Ago

What could I say...its wonderfully curved and every words seems to say more than what's written...it.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

709 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 1, 2016
Last Updated on February 1, 2016

Author

Bear
Bear

KS



About
I am no longer taking read request as I will be away for a few months. more..

Writing
REINCARNATED REINCARNATED

A Poem by Bear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Irish Spring Irish Spring

A Poem by Pete