At a Christmas party.

At a Christmas party.

A Poem by Beccy

A child, four years old, 
came up to me and told me she was a fairie.
I smiled, but was unable to outshine
her gap toothed little grin;
or the makeshift magic wand
that told the truth of her words;
as did the little pink tutu she wore
and the dance she danced for me.

In any case, who was I to tell her different?
I mean, why not be a fairie
if only just the once,
before grown up matters,
like choosing a best friend
and learning times tables
weigh heavy on 
neophyte shoulders.

Drink flowed
amiable chat meandered
and meantime, the child danced,
mimicking the style of grown up leisure;
so happy in the reflected light,
where no mistletoe, and no champagne
could make her less a child,
or make her magic burn more bright.

© 2019 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i like how you juxtapose the child with the grownups which shows the innocence and truthfulness we have at such a young age, but later when we become less a child...we could lose that ability to dance...or hopefully let the dance mature.
nicely done,
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a truth, let them be what they can not only because of impending adulthood, but because if they believe it then, then they may keep on believing that they can be anything that they want in that adulthood as well. Perception is the key and unlocks an infinite number of realities. Great write!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tenderness, it is sad to say, is lost amongst we adults...Yet each moment of a child's world is punctuated by it's rich short history, it's beauty and the fact of it's passing. To be a fairy means that supernatural moments of luminous beauty, is itself, transitory. What I mean is that (aside from being a poetess) you can only enter that world, wand or not, for a little while. But yet entering it (wanting to) is the power of the human spirit to resist and endure.
I wonder why you wanted to write this poem my love? Whatever. Your voice is so pure....dana

Posted 5 Years Ago


Your poem is absolutely charming. I love how vivid your descriptions. I can picture her dancing. A very enjoyable read :) Julie

Posted 5 Years Ago


I suppose Christmas, in theory, should be an innocent time of celebration.
I think us poor adults turn it into a chore.
But let's look through the child's eye, it's still filled with wonderment.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Charming, yet profoundly perceptive.
Christmas always shines brightest when it inspires children.
Adults can only bask in the little ones' magic and dream nostalgic dreams.
Great read!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Such a beautiful reading, Beccy. Being in the presence of a child teaches us more and more about what this world is lacking. It even helps us to take a better look at ourselves. Thank you for sharing this!

Posted 5 Years Ago


i like how you juxtapose the child with the grownups which shows the innocence and truthfulness we have at such a young age, but later when we become less a child...we could lose that ability to dance...or hopefully let the dance mature.
nicely done,
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is lovely. Caught in full view of that childhood wonderment of making make believe real and she, flitting from imagination to reality so effortlessly, and you the viewer smiling as well as reminiscing of far off days when you were the same.
We are in such a race to grow up so soon, so she truly was living life to its fullest, before rules and silly grown up things invade their world.
I'm a little jealous too, and I wouldnt even suit a tutu :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Endearing write Beccy. Let there be make believe. Children should have that time when they feel anything is. possible. I think I'd quite like to be a fairy myself tonight, providing I have a magic wand. All good wishes to you and your little one

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beccy

5 Years Ago

Not so little anymore Christine, only twelve and already taller than me by a good way. :))

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

503 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2019
Last Updated on January 27, 2019

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ding Dong Ding Dong

A Poem by AJNJ