All Is Well

All Is Well

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

I made Aubrey sound whiny in this... I didn't think of her as a whiny person though :

"
I hear my name called over the loud speakers. The announcer makes a comment about my gender, probably thinking he's being funny. All he is doing is making me want to win even more.
My dirt bike's engine growls angrily, knowing that I'm going to push it to the limits tonight. It doesn't matter to me what the dangers are. What I want is the pride of being the winner here. Not just any old winner, the first female winner.
Trav pats my back. The nerves are killing me, and it's probably visible. I shake out my body, jumping. "Nerves kill, Aubrey." I tell myself. "That's how the best riders go down, being nervous."
"Come on, you can do this!" A rider shouts from behind me.
I smirk and hop on my bike. This is it. This is my chance to shine. Even if it is the first heat, I'm going to do a good trick and set the bar high for every one else.
The ramp looks almost daunting. But if I chicken out once I'm on it, I'm done. People don't usually feel too great after bailing out of a jump this big. I shake my head, shoving those thoughts out. This isn't a time to scare myself.
Speeding towards the ramp everything is out of my head. I'm in my own silent world. All I hear is my own voice telling me how to do the trick without crashing. Throw legs back, spin, grab seat, sit, land without dying. It's repeating itself in my head.
And then, I'm in the air. It's sudden, and it startles me. Without thinking it through, I try the body varial. It's timed horribly, everything is off and it feels wrong. I fear the ground, laughing at me as I flail my arms and legs. My foot catches on the handle bars and I am not sure what I do, but I make it back onto my bike.. The ground won't get me this time. Even though I didn't successfully do a body varial, I still landed and rode away.
I might just be able to pass it off as a new trick, even though I have no idea what I did.
When I get back to where the other riders are, they all look at me with wide eyes. "What. The. Hell?!" Travis shouts at me. "You tried a varial? You haven't even gotten that down in the foam pit yet! What if you died?"
"That wasn't a body varial, that was a new trick." I smirk and wink at Trav. He crosses his arms, shaking his head.
"Whatever it was, you just secured gold." A rider points at the screen showing all of our scores. Au. Gosla---96.4. I can't believe it. A weird and awkward failed attempt at a body varial has pretty much guaranteed a win.
"I'm going to have to do the Electric Doom or something to beat that..." Trav can't believe what the board shows us.
"Psh, look out bro, I've got dibs on that already. I called it the second Aubrey landed that." A rider jokingly punches Trav's arm. "But seriously, I'm doing the Electric Doom."
We laugh, but I know the other riders must be pissed. I'm a little mad at myself too. I wanted to do a body varial to get me an 80 something so the others still have a chance to win. But a 96.4? That's ridiculous! I kick the dirt and throw my helmet on the ground. There's no point for me to even go out there again. I probably look stupid throwing a hissy fit right now.
Unless that guy does pull off the Electric Doom. If so, he's probably going to get a 98 or something and I don't know what I will do to beat that.
Trav picks up my helmet and throws it at me. I flail my arms before catching it. "Is that what you are going to do now, flail around hoping it looks cool?" He teases. I whip my helmet back at him. It bounces off the ground and the visor snaps off.
"I HATE YOU!" I scream at it. "Now what am I going to do?"
"Shut up and watch." One of the camera guys yells at me. "Every one watching this on TV can hear you."
"Tell them I say hi." I glare at him.
Trav gives me a water bottle, probably hoping I'll shut up. I'm not a baby and I don't need bottles when I'm upset. Whatever, I'm thirsty any way. I sit down on the ground and watch the next rider.
This is the guy that said he was going to try the Electric Doom. I don't even know if any one except Kyle Loza has been able to do that trick. Maybe someone has, I don't know, it's tough trying to keep up with that stuff.
I watch as he leaves the ramp. Everything he does is perfectly timed. It's amazingly graceful and precise. I stand up so I can see the landing. It's practically perfect. Everything about that trick was spot on and flawless.
He rides back to where we are. A grin is spread across his face. We all give him high fives, he deserves it after that. Most people don't even want to try the Electric Doom and he just perfectly executed it.
The judges give him a 98.7. "It's on!" I say happily to him. Then I remember that I don't have a trick. I guess I'll wing it and hope for the best.
Trav and another rider aren't much competition. The highest score is Trav's 93. It's my turn now, and I still haven't fully figured out what I'm going to do. All I know is it has to be something epic that will wow everybody.
I put my broken helmet on and make sure my body armor is on right. The rider that did the Electric Doom speaks over all the noise of my bike. "Good luck, don't try to beat me though!" He jokes.
I'm already going into my oblivious state, so I don't respond much. Just a quick nod before I take off. The crowd's cheers, the announcer's comments, it's all blocked out again.
This time I'm not telling myself what to do. I have no idea what is going to happen once my bike is in the air. If I hesitate at all, I'll just fall down to earth and the ground will win. If I figure something out immediately, I'll beat gravity for a split second and hopefully beat the other riders too.
I suddenly realize I'm upside down. Backflip? I wonder what I am doing. I let go of the handle bars as the bike rights itself. I realize what I'm doing. I do a cliff hanger, then my foot hits the handle bar and I kick off of it. I then do an Electric Doom trick almost. I backflip, grab the seat, and pull myself down.
The only catch is, I pull myself to my bike as it meets the ground. It's a wobbly landing, and somehow I don't crash. I jump off my bike and start screaming and jumping. This is the best thing I think I have done and will ever do.
I can hear the announcer yelling about it. "A cliffhanger backflip, AND a new trick?" He's astonished. I don't believe it either.
People tackle me from all sides, squishing me in a massive group hug. I've won the competition. My first time qualifying for a men's professional competition, and I won! The first female to win here, and it's me.
"After party!" Trav yells as He puts me on his shoulders.
"Yeah!" I shout with my arms in the air. I look at the score on the board, a nice 99.3. Life is good.
"What are you 'yeah'-ing for? You're underage, pipsqueak." Trav teases me.
"I like soda!" I answer.


© 2011 Becky Lawrence


Author's Note

Becky Lawrence
I'm not a freestyle motocross rider, nor do I talk to riders regularly, so some of my descriptions, information, and the tricks done might not be correct or physically possible...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing