Falling

Falling

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

Oh noes!

"
Everything was going well. I had won three more competitions, got silver in a few others. Now all I had to do was perfect tricks. There was a three week time until the next competition. No worries though, it wasn't like it was a huge deal. It was actually a hugely big deal. I was going to be competing in numerous events here, and a lot of them I had never been a part of before.
Chase had all the practice equipment we needed, so we always drove out to his place. Trav hated my driving, but I don't let anyone touch my F-350. So here we are, on a dirt road, with Trav yelling about my driving. He's such a baby all the time. It's just a dirt road and I'm only going 65.
"If you are this reckless while practicing, you're going to kill yourself." Trav frowns.
"Don't talk like that, especially not with what we do. Death is not a joking matter." I clench the steering wheel tighter. It always gets to me when Trav talks about dying. He doesn't fear it like most people do, like I do. Unlike him, I have a very real fear of dying one day. There's always that voice in the back of my head telling me that if I mess up death will get me. I try to race away from it, like maybe if I drive fast enough off the ramp death will be left behind in the dust.
Too bad it doesn't work like that. Death isn't a thing that can be left behind. It pisses me off that Trav thinks he is better than it though. He always says things that show he doesn't think he can die doing fmx. I fear for him more that he fears for me, I think.
I stop in front of Chase's house. He lives in the middle of no where on an old farm. It doesn't have animals or crops, just a huge dirt track. He bought the house last year with the winnings he got from a bunch of competitions.
Broderick comes out to help Trav and I get our bikes out of my truck. I notice that Chase didn't come outside with him.
"Where's Chase?" I ask Broderick.
"He broke his leg and can't walk. I refused to push him around in his wheelchair, so he is sitting in the living room." Broderick responds like it's no big deal that Chase is in a wheelchair. "Is that my jersey?" He tugs at the shoulder of the shirt I'm wearing. I look at the number on the front.
"Maybe." I answer with a smirk. "Why? Do you need it?"
"Just a little, I mean, it isn't like I won't fit yours." Broderick says sarcastically.
"Actually, you will fit mine. Our jerseys are the same size." I tell him.
He frowns. "I'm not wearing your jersey, give me mine back."
"I don't have mine." I respond simply. Broderick puts his head against the side of the truck.
"You drive me crazy sometimes." He says before he walks away.
"You know, pissing Broderick off like that isn't a good idea." Trav says.
"Why?" I never knew Broderick to be an angry, violent person, what is Trav talking about?
"Never mind, you don't get to know. Broderick told me not to tell you, so I'm not going to." Trav puts his helmet on and leaves with his bike.
I'm standing all alone by my truck now. It's a weird feeling, being alone when there's a lot of people around to talk to. I just shrug it off and put my gear on.
With my all the body armor on, I felt like twenty pounds were weighing me down. The sticky humidity and summer heat were bothering me too. I decide that it's stupid to wear all of this when all we are going to do is get warmed up right now.
I take of the neck support, arm and leg padding, and chest armor. It feels a lot better now. My helmet keeps my head safe, and I'm not going to crash, right?
I hop on my lime green dirt bike and race down to the track. Trav and Broderick are already down there. They are working on the smaller jumps, working their way up.
I do a quick run of the track to make sure everything is okay on my bike, and then I go for the biggest ramp.
I don't like wasting time on the little ramps. What I need to practice is the big air trick I've been working on. I want to add some more to the trick I made up and fine tune it.
I fly off the ramp. Something feels off. Did I hit the ramp a little to one side? I'm not sure. Something tells me I should bail out before I get to far into this. I ignore whatever tells me this and try to go through with the trick.
As I go for the cliff hanger, everything falls apart. The handle bars aren't straight, so one of my feet don't catch. I am in a terrible position. I can't right my bike, and the ground is coming fast. I bail out, even though it won't help anything. Falling. That's all I know. I am falling and this is going to hurt like hell. I close my eyes like a frightened child. If I can't see the monsters, they aren't there. It's a stupid thought, but it's almost comforting for a moment.
That moment is shattered once my body hits the hard dirt. Pain shoots through my entire body starting from my legs. I can hear bones in my leg snap. It's sickening. Not as sickening as my bike crashing down on me though.
Pain is all I can think about. My entire body is in the worst pain I have ever known and I can't breathe. I cough and a warm liquid splatters on my lip. I don't know what is wrong, what is broken, anything. I'm slipping. Everything is getting duller. I cough again, spluttering, more blood falls onto my lips. The weight of the bike is crushing me more.
"Call 911!" I hear Trav yell, but his voice is so distant. His voice seems like a dream. I wish this was a dream. At least then this pain would end.
"D****t, she's going to die..." It's Chase.
"Don't talk like that! Aubrey isn't going to die!" Trav screams back.
Yes I am. I can smell the blood and gasoline. I can feel the pain. This is the end.
I start to cry. The pain is all I feel now. There's nothing else. I feel the blood pouring from my cuts and I can feel the broken bones in every inch of my body. At this point, death would be a nice alternative.
And then it's all gone. There's no sound, pain, light.
I must be dead.



© 2011 Becky Lawrence


Author's Note

Becky Lawrence
sorry if this went too fast... I wanted to get to the main point of the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing