Wheelchair

Wheelchair

A Chapter by Becky Lawrence
"

Just some random stuff because I realized that my story is moving way to fast-ish.

"
I watch the television. Nothing is really on at noon. It's just children's shows and talk shows. I watch The View for a little while, but that gets boring because all they do is talk over each other. I turn the TV off. As if on queue, Broderick walks into the room.
He smiles to me and waves. I give a little smile to acknowledge him, waving isn't exactly easy yet.
"How's the birthday girl?" He asks. My eyebrows furrow, birthday?
"What are you talking about?" I gently push myself into a sitting position.
"It's your birthday, your 16 now." He says simply, holding out a bouquet of flowers.
"It's my birthday? That means that I have been here for two months now." I sigh. "Two whole goddamn months."
"You know what else your birthday means?" Broderick sits in the chair next to me.
"What?" I wonder.
"Today you can come home." Broderick grins.
Carla comes in with a wheelchair and a bright smile. "Who's ready to leave?!" She calls. Behind her is her son, Jonathan. He has stopped by a few times to say hi and tell me to keep my hopes up during the recovery process.
"Hey Jonathan, hi Carla!" I grin. "Do I seriously get to go home today?" I can feel my happiness in every inch of my body. It's great to be getting good news for once.
"Yep, you're leaving." Jonathan nods. He leans against the wall, holding his crutches in front of him.
"I'll get to see Trav! But I'll have to see my parents." A little bit of my happiness goes away. My parents have been fighting with me so much since the crash, they will probably fight with me more.
"Luckily and kind of not luckily, you have been disowned..." Broderick looks at me, waiting to see what my reaction is.
Surprisingly, I'm not mad. "That's great!" I grin. "I don't have to deal with them telling me that I'm stupid!" I do a strange little dance that looks more like I'm just fidgeting and wiggling.
"You're not upset? If my parents disowned me, I'd be pissed!" Broderick frowns a little at my reaction. I'm not sure why.
"Unlike you, my parents aren't rich and I have never had a good relationship with my parents since I took up mx. So, I couldn't really care less if they disown me or not." I shrug.
"Well, since you have been disowned and your parents won't let you go to your house, you are coming to stay with Trav and I at my place." Broderick grins happily.
"Yay?" I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Broderick raises one eyebrow at my response. "Well, I'm going to be staying with two adults that party like frat boys, will you guys forget to feed me or something?" I explain with a small laugh.
"Yeah, actually that was our plan all along. We are going to stop feeding you after a week." Broderick rolls his eyes at me. I stick my tongue out at him.
"I'll be checking in every few days, so if they actually do forget to feed you I will be there to help." Carla chuckles at our childish behavior.
"And I will be moving in with Trav and Broderick in a few weeks so I can use their track." Jonathan says.
"Oh, great. I will be surrounded by idiots for months. If I wasn't in a wheelchair with beaten legs, I'd kick all three of your asses." I grin as I speak. Broderick just fake laughs mockingly.
"I'm a cripple! You can't hurt me!" Jonathan waves his crutches around me.
I shake my head and sigh. "I'm more cripple than you." I say.
"Oh, so this is becoming 'mine's bigger than yours' now. Well at least I'm not... I'm not... WHITE!" Jonathan shoots back.
"You're stupid." I roll my eyes. "Whitey."
What would I do without idiots to be an idiot with? I'd be one depressed girl, that's what.


© 2011 Becky Lawrence


Author's Note

Becky Lawrence
That picture is, in fact, a guy doing tricks in a wheelchair. He has a record for being the first guy to do a backflip in a wheelchair. Pretty awesome if you ask me haha.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on February 16, 2011
Last Updated on February 16, 2011


Author

Becky Lawrence
Becky Lawrence

About
I've been writing since seventh grade. It started as a hobby and became an addiction. I have become an insomniac because of the thoughts and ideas going on in my head. I will read most read request.. more..

Writing