Jack and Jill

Jack and Jill

A Chapter by Barbara Leah
"

A pail of water?

"

Jack and Jill went up the hill

To fetch a pail of water;

Jack fell down and broke his crown,

And Jill came tumbling after.

 

Jill was the elder sister of Jack. She was jealous and angry at her brother because he was more of a favorite in the family. He was dumb and clumsy but no one ever finds fault in him. In turn, Jill got blamed for his mistakes. This was what irritated her and made her hate her brother so much, though Jack never teased her. Then, the family gave Jack a beautiful golden crown for his birthday because he was their little prince. This drove Jill to something wicked.

 

 

One day, she called Jack to accompany her in fetching a pail of water. But they passed the village well which was below an apple tree. Jill soon led Jack up a barren hill which was forbidden for children to go. They came upon an old dark well. Jill let Jack put the pail on the pulley and lower it down. As he was busy with it, Jill pushed her brother into the well. He grabbed hold of the pail, but it only let him fall down. Jill was laughing evilly, but she was oblivious that the rest of the rope on the ground got tangled up on her ankle. Thus, she came tumbling after.

 

She splashed on the dark water, and found the floating dead body of Jack who hit his head on a loss brick while he was falling down. The well was so deep that the sunlight couldn’t reach the bottom and Jill’s cries of help couldn’t reach the surface. Two nights had passed as Jill stayed there with Jack’s corpse. Her attempts of climbing up were a failure. On the second day, she soon had the courage to try again. Brick by brick she climbed with her remaining strength. At last, her right hand touched the rim of the well.

 

But suddenly, she felt that something grabbed her ankle, and pulled her down again. After plunging on the dark water, she saw Jack stood up before her. Some of his bones were visible and his left eye was missing. Maggots fed on his wound in the head. He grabbed his broken crown, and with it, he stabbed his sister to death. Another Jack and Jill also went up that hill. When they fetched a pail of water, they were surprised to see blood instead, and ran away screaming until their hurried steps made them trip and roll down the cursed hill.

 



© 2009 Barbara Leah


Author's Note

Barbara Leah
This is one of my favorite. Don't say I based it on The Ring. No. I only thought that time what if they fell down the well instead of down the hill.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on September 8, 2009
Last Updated on September 10, 2009


Author

Barbara Leah
Barbara Leah

Tuguegarao City, Philippines



About
I'm a film student who wants to be an animated film maker. My stories are more on dark fantasy. I'm a perky goth. My psyche looks like a pink butterfly silhouette upon a pitch black background. more..

Writing
Jack Sprat Jack Sprat

A Chapter by Barbara Leah