Rock a Bye, Baby

Rock a Bye, Baby

A Chapter by Barbara Leah
"

Down will come baby, cradle and all.

"

Rock-a-bye, baby, on a tree top,

 

When the wind blows the cradle will rock.

 

When the bough breaks the cradle will fall,

Down will come baby, cradle, and all.

 

In a peaceful village, there was this huge acacia tree in the middle of it. For the villagers, it was a giving tree because there’s something different, or magical about it. Its branches served as firewood and they would grow back immediately. Its green leaves could make good tea, and the dry leaves could make impressive fertilizers. Its flowers could cure any wound or ache in the body. Its fruits grew bigger than that of any other acacia tree, and it’s even edible, sweeter than strawberries. And most of all, the village could wish to this acacia tree.

 

One proof was that of a lonely maiden. She could not bear children, so one night, she went to the mighty acacia and wished for a child. Suddenly, a huge gust of wind made the whole tree sway in response. A branch fell and almost hit the woman. She looked up again and there was another thing falling down. She held out her hand to catch it, and it was a basket. She opened the blanket and there was a child inside. She rejoiced and thanked the tree.

 

Ten years had passed, and the villagers recognized that the tree was losing all its branches, leaves, flowers and fruits. They had a meeting and many accounted that the lonely maiden was the one wasting away the goods of the acacia tree. They went into her house, and she explained that it was for the undying needs of her only child. “How could one child need those things?” they said to her, “That tree could provide a whole kingdom.” They looked at her child and the villagers were surprised. Many years had passed now, and it was still a baby.

 

“Your child is a changeling!” the angry mob shouted to the maiden. For you see, changelings are fairies who trick mothers in believing they were their babies and would feed them everything, only not to grow up at all. But the mother already knew that, and still she cherished the child. She then protected the baby, but the angry mob attacked her and captured the changeling. They went to the great acacia tree, and hanged the baby by its neck on a branch.

 

The maiden was restrained as she watched them beat the crying baby with sticks until his tiny body bled. According to them, this would force his real mother to get him back. Suddenly, the acacia tree swayed violently with a sudden stormy wind. Its leaves and flowers pierced the villagers’ eyes. Its berries jumped into their mouths and choked them. Its branches fell down and collapsed on their heads. With the remaining branches, the tree bent down and swept away the dead villagers. The only one left alive and unhurt was the lonely maiden who saw the acacia tree back to its beauty, and the wind took shape of a mother breast-feeding the baby. She was humming the now-known lullaby.



© 2009 Barbara Leah


Author's Note

Barbara Leah
As you know, I came from the Philippines and I based this on our mythology, especially about "tianak" or demon baby and about acacia trees. But part of it is also based on Scottish Faerie myths, especially the changeling thing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 10, 2009


Author

Barbara Leah
Barbara Leah

Tuguegarao City, Philippines



About
I'm a film student who wants to be an animated film maker. My stories are more on dark fantasy. I'm a perky goth. My psyche looks like a pink butterfly silhouette upon a pitch black background. more..

Writing
Jack Sprat Jack Sprat

A Chapter by Barbara Leah