Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Lady of the Ring

Chapter Six

 

 

E

arly the next morning, just before dawn, Malinna woke and sat up in bed.  She was so excited that she had a new space she could decorate. 

“Good morning, Malinna,” chirped a quiet voice. 

Malinna glanced toward the window and noticed a small gray blue castle with a small blue fairy on top of one of the towers.

“Good morning, Sonya,” Malinna grinned.

“Chrisha is already up.  She came in a few minutes ago to build up your fire.  She said that when you woke up that she would fetch your breakfast.  Oh, and JayJay came by after you fell asleep last night with a message for you,” Sonya said. 

“Who’s JayJay and how do you know all of this?” Malinna said. 

“JayJay is Prince Daemon’s fairy.  It’s my job to know.  I act as a kind of ....I guess you would call it a manager...I sort through all of the requests that you get, then report to you when you wake.”

“I see.  Can you wait to give me reports until breakfast?” Malinna asked. 

“Everyday?” Sonya asked. 

“If you would,” Malinna said as she crawled out of bed. 

Sonya flew out of the room and came back in on Chrisha’s shoulder. 

“Would you like for me to fetch your breakfast?” Chrisha queried. 

“A mango and a sweet biscuit with honey, and hot chocolate to drink will be just fine,” Malinna replied, “Don’t worry about helping me, I can dress myself.”

“I’ll be back in a minute,” Chrisha said. 

Chrisha walked out the door as Malinna stood and walked to her wardrobe.  She opened it and found that all of her clothes had been sorted into categories just like she had her closet at home.  She walked over to the day dresses and selected her favorite red dress from the group.  It was a blood red color with the matching ruby earrings, low cut and about knee length. 

Malinna slipped on the dress and earrings.  She carefully combed her soft curls into a high ponytail.  She placed the circlet on her head, and put on the cinnamon perfume.  She walked out of the wardrobe and looked into the mirror to make sure the circlet was positioned correctly. 

“You look amazing, Princess.”

Malinna jumped and put her hand over her heart.  She had been startled by the masculine voice coming from her door.  She spun around to look at the stranger.  He was tall, lean and tanned, as if he had just come from the beach.  His cocky smile, cropped black hair and deep blue eyes seemed vaguely familiar.  Malinna noticed that he had the body of a fighter, but the clothes of royalty. 

“I don’t know whether to thank you or scream,” Malinna said.

“A thank you would be nice; it was a complement after all.  A scream would be understandable,” he answered with a shrug.

“I feel as if I should know you.  But it’s been so long so why don’t you remind me what your name is, or do you just have riddles,” Malinna said. 

He stepped into her bedroom and advanced to where Malinna had turned back to her mirror.  Looking at each other’s reflection, they both smiled. 

“Malinna, I’ve got your breakfast,” Chrisha said, as she entered the room, “Oh, I didn’t realize you had a visitor, Princess.  I’ll just wait outside.” 

“Chrisha, you’re fine.  You can set the tray down on my desk,” Malinna said, trying to sooth the girl’s clearly frazzled nerves. 

“Chrisha, My name is Daemon.” 

“Daemon, do you have a reason for visiting, or have you turned into a peeping tom?” Malinna asked mischievously, now that she knew why she remembered him. 

“Mother wanted me to tell you that the seamstress is here, outside your door in fact.  The merchants can’t make it until this afternoon,” Daemon informed her, “Your quarters are almost ready.  They should be finished by ten o’clock this morning.”

“He’s right, Malinna.  The rooms are scheduled to be done at ten and you are scheduled to be in there at ten thirty to start picking out candleholders, carpet, curtains, sheets and upholstery,” Sonya piped in. 

She walked into the anteroom with Chrisha and Daemon following.  Malinna gestured toward the door and Chrisha went to open it. 

“We have things to do, hurry the seamstress in,” Malinna said, turning to Daemon, “Are you staying or going?” 

“I am staying.  I’m your guide until you are able to wander aimlessly through the castle and find your way back,” Daemon said with a smirk. 

“That’s wonderful.  I figured that Jake would be stuck with that job.  Enough of that for now, we can talk later.  Right now I have business to attend to.  Chrisha,” Malinna said. 

Chrisha opened the door and let in a trio of talkative women.  The oldest of the women walked up to Malinna and introduced herself. 

“Princess,” the woman said, “I am Mistress Shanna, the castle seamstress.  I hope that you don’t mind that I brought my apprentices, Rose and Lily.” 

“I’m just glad that you could come on such short notice,” Malinna smiled, “You can set your things on the coffee table.”

Malinna told Daemon to make himself comfortable and offered her library to him until she finished up in here.  After addressing Daemon, Malinna walked over to the seamstress. 

“Your Majesty, what will you be needing?  I just got a shipment of beautiful ruby silk, spinel silk and satin,” Shanna rattled off. 

“Not quite necessary.  Chrisha, would you come here,” Malinna said, “Chrisha needs an entire wardrobe.”

“Any specifics?” Shanna asked, taking out a notepad from her apron pocket. 

“Silk, satin, and velvet for the cloth.  Green and yellow for the majority of the wardrobe.  She will need dresses for all occasions; evening, day, ball, and night gowns.  The day dresses and night gowns she can choose the colors of,” Malinna said. 

“Anything else, Princess?” the seamstress asked. 

“Choose flattering cuts that are also comfortable and conservative.”

“We will begin immediately, Your Majesty,” Shanna stated. 

Malinna nodded her head and walked over to the desk.  She sat down and ate her breakfast while Chrisha had her measurements taken.  She sat there listening to the four of them talk and she learned that Chrisha’s favorite colors were green, yellow, and pink, and she liked pearls. 

When she had finished eating, Malinna told Chrisha to stay with the seamstress and help her to sew the dresses so that she could have at least one dress for tonight.  Malinna turned and walked into the library to look for Daemon.  He was reading a history book in one of the corners.  Malinna couldn’t help but smile.  She carefully walked up to the chair and sat on the arm. 

“Having fun?” she asked with a smile still plastered to her face. 

“Yes I am actually.  Why?” he responded mischievously. 

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe because guys our age wouldn’t be caught dead reading a history book.” 

“Who says I’m reading it?” Daemon stated with a smirk, “I’m just looking at the pictures.”

Malinna laughed, “Typical.”

“Who’s typical?” Daemon asked, “Are you finished in there?”

“You’re typical, and yes I’m finished for now,” Malinna said. 

“We had better get going then,” Daemon said, “My mother can’t wait to get those two out of the castle.  I’m sure that they are going to wet themselves soon if you don’t give them the verdict.”

“I know,” Malinna said slightly stressed, “I just don’t know what your mother will think about my decision.”

Daemon smiled sympathetically and said, “I’m sure she trusts your judgment.  Why else would she tell me that you would be giving them the verdict by yourself?”

“If she isn’t there then Michael won’t listen to me,” Malinna fretted. 

“You’re a sorceress.  He will listen.  Here sorcery is honored, not shunned.  Your authority is of the same rank as mine and my mother’s, greater even,” Daemon said. 

They walked together into the anteroom.  Sonya flew to her shoulder and informed her of the rest of her schedule. 

“Today is going to be busy for me.  Are you going to be able to stay with me?” Malinna asked. 

“My schedule is the same as yours.  Sonya and JayJay saw to that.  You don’t have to worry.  I wouldn’t want to be left alone in a new place, and I won’t do it to you,” Daemon said, “It all gets easier.  You just have to be who you are.  My people don’t hide behind clichés and rituals.  Now what do you say we go kick those two ninnies out of our castle?”

Daemon offered his arm to her.  She took it and said, “This should be fun,” then rolled her eyes.  Together they left the room, leaving Chrisha with the seamstress.  They walked slowly to the throne room. 



© 2012 Lady of the Ring


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on August 26, 2012
Last Updated on August 26, 2012


Author

Lady of the Ring
Lady of the Ring

Albuquerque, NM



About
You want to know something about me? Message me. more..

Writing