Once Upon A December

Once Upon A December

A Poem by *~*Butterfly Kisses*~*
"

Memories of my childhood, when my mother used to sing to me. I didnt mean for this to rhyme.

"

Frost gathers upon the glass

Things I can almost remember

Things my heart yearns to never forget

Once upon a December.

 

An angel whispers softly

Gentle sweet lullabies

As silver storm slowly approaches

Colored hues dance across the sky.

 

Horses galloping in the distance

Sleigh bells chiming soon they fade

Held in an embrace so safe and warm

A soft monotone song in my ears played.

 

A peaceful sound in childlike ears

Drifting into sleepy dreams

She still sings in the moonlight

Through the windows, it gleams.

 

Fading embers take their final breath

Things I yearn to remember

In my heart these memories stay forever

Once upon a December.

 

 

 

© 2011 *~*Butterfly Kisses*~*


Author's Note

*~*Butterfly Kisses*~*
For a contest. And yes, one or two lines are to be credited to the song in the movie Anastasia. For the most part, it is still a memory.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I err, haven't seen the movie yet. So for me, this piece had some really brilliant lines. But then, even Shakespeare borrowed freely so don't worry. :)

I loved the poem. It was beautiful and soothing. The imagery was incredible, without a doubt. Keep it up! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Again, I find myself offering a review absent of much in the way of criticism. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be yet another drawling rendition of "How Boys Don't Notice Me, The High School Remix", and I can actually look at it somewhat seriously.

It's emotive enough that I can actually feel myself be moved slightly, which is a big thing. The thing to note though, is that your work here doesn't truly say much of anything. There's no true allusions, no great depths to which I can become immersed and lose myself. The wordplay brings up nostalgic memories, but no more, which is great for greeting cards, but not as much is you want to be considered a serious contender.

Look more at using more than just imagery in your poetry. Mr. Simile, Mrs. Metaphor, and that angry b*****d Uncle Personification would love to get let of the closet for a spin.

-Flow 5/10
-Emotive Content 5/10
-Poetic Construction 4/10
-Poetic Depth 2/10
-Creativity 2/10

Posted 12 Years Ago


I know so much is born out of your pain, but so much of your work is profound. Your work should be published. It is deep, heart felt, passionate and polished all at at the same time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It reminds me of when I was younger too...
Like all of your writing, it's an amazing write and you deserve to win that contest. This has got to be one of the most beautiful poems I have ever read. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You speak of your memories and allow us to feel and get in touch with our own.. xo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope you do well in this contest. December is lovely for so many reasons. Like a warm pillow...I want to rest my head apon your poem. I hear the bells...

Posted 12 Years Ago


it was a very imaginative piece that made me picture a beautiful image... it had a lot of emotion and was just a great read

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sweet memories transcending into the chill of the holiday times. There is music that seems to flow from your words, peaceful, calling, every pulling. My mother would sing to us kids as well when we were young. Those times are forever locked in a peaceful and serene place in the heart and mind. Your ink reminds me of my own memories. Very much enjoyed!

Great Ink!
Aaron

Posted 12 Years Ago


very very VERY nice i love it :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


A beautiful and positive poem. I like the visions create by strong and powerful statements.
"An angel whispers softly
Gentle sweet lullabies"
I like the ending to the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1591 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 2, 2011
Last Updated on December 2, 2011

Author

*~*Butterfly Kisses*~*
*~*Butterfly Kisses*~*

Somewhere between TN and NYC, TN



About
My name is Anna Rose... what can I say about myself? I'm 20 learning to live on my own, trying to escape from a dark part of my life. Been writing my heart since I was able to write. I write whate.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..