Forgive and Rejoice

Forgive and Rejoice

A Chapter by The Butterfly Writer

Prompt: “Write about two exes who are meeting up for the first time since breaking up.”

It had been two years since I had last seen Logan. Two years since he effectively broke my heart. I had recovered since then; gotten an internship at an amazing little publication, been hired to that publication, and had some casual relationships. It wasn’t that I didn’t look for something more serious, I just didn’t find the qualities I really wanted for that kind of relationship in any of the guys I had seen.

Logan had called me a few weeks prior to make these plans to meet up with me. We agreed that it should be a casual meeting. It would be better this way considering out past experiences and how we often ended up.

I waited for him, reading a book I had been eager to start for a long time and had finally gotten in to, and sipped the coffee I had gotten now and again whenever I glanced up to look for him and see if he had arrived yet.

Logan did finally arrive about twenty minutes later than we had agreed to. He had never been very good about that sort of thing, so I didn’t blame him, though it would have been for him to be on time this time because it had been so long.

"Hey, Mae." He said, like he hadn’t done anything wrong. "I know I’m late. I got caught up with… Well personal stuff."

"Uh huh," I pretended like I didn’t see him because I knew if I acknowledged him right away he would maybe tell me the real reason for why he was late.

"Okay, I know that’s a lame excuse, but, come on, Mae." He urged me to talk to him. "It… It’s actually hard to talk about. That’s why I wanted to meet you, cause I can think clearer when you’re around."

That got my attention.

"You can ‘think clearer when I’m around’? What kind of crap is that?" I almost yelled at him.

"It’s my own special blend." Logan said coolly. "Hey, you know me, babe."

I hated and loved when called me that. Hated it now that we were apart and it sounded so wonderful coming off his lips, and loved since I remembered that he always ended his last sentence with it whenever he needed to tell me something really serious, or at least of significant importance.

"You thirsty?" I tried asking, more so I could calm myself than because I was concerned for him.

"I’m good." Logan said, holding up a paper cup.

"So, why is it wanted to meet me?" I got right to the point. I was starting to feel a little awkward so I wanted to get out of here and back to work as soon as I could.

"It’s…" Logan took a deep breath and rested his right hand at the base of his neck. "I’m…"

I closed my book and gave him my full attention now.

"I’m going for basic in a few weeks, and all I could think about for days before I called you, well, was you." He laughed at his admission.

"You mean…" I didn’t know how to answer this.

"Yeah. Army."

Those two words sent my thoughts into a tailspin. Along with it, a flood of emotions I thought had vanished the week after Logan and I had broken up bubbled to the surface. 

"Oh… Logan…" Was all I could manage to say.

"I never stopped loving you, Mae." He told me. 

I couldn’t help but believe him. A part of me had never stopped loving him either. That part was gaining strength, fast, and I wasn’t sure if I could fight it back. 

I didn’t want to. 

"Be with me?" Logan asked, and placed his hand on the table between us, palm up.

I looked at him, then his palm, then his face again. 

"Logan… I…" 

I couldn’t pull the rest of the words out of my throat. They were frozen in my vocal cords. 

Logan started to move his hand off the table, and just before it fell off the edge, I caught it.

"I’m yours."




© 2013 The Butterfly Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on September 27, 2013
Last Updated on September 28, 2013
Tags: The Butterfly Writer, Tumblr, Short Story


Author

The Butterfly Writer
The Butterfly Writer

Fayetteville, AR



About
Well, I've done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those who are unfamiliar), once so far and I plan to continue to do it. I also have a Wattpad account with more of my work on it but I'm loo.. more..

Writing