Thought Wrong

Thought Wrong

A Chapter by The Butterfly Writer

Prompt: “Write about a betrayal of some sort.”

Jonathan was finally coming home. It had been months since he left for his deployment and I couldn’t wait to be back in his arms again. I was afraid of course, of how much he might have changed, but that was why we had our motto:

"We’ll get through this. For us."

We had promised we would always be here for each other and that was exactly what was going to happen.

I was poised at the bottom of the escalator in the meeting area of the airport waiting for him with a big “Welcome Home, Marine” sign in my hands. I knew it was tacky but it was the first homecoming we would going through together so I wanted it to be memorable. I wanted it to be done right.

I smiled when I saw the chunkiness of his combat boots come into view. Then took a step forward when I saw one of his hands come into view. I had to restrain myself from running up to him and jumping into his arms when I saw his face, smiling, but clearly weary from traveling all night. Though the moment he took two steps off the escalator I dropped my sign and sent myself flying toward him and into his arms just in time for him to drop his duffel bag and catch me with his strong arms. 

Of course, we kissed and I have to admit, it wasn’t completely what I had expected, but it was still one of the most incredible feelings I had ever felt. 

"Welcome back…" I sighed when Jonathan released my lips. 

"Hey, baby." He said. 

"I missed you." I told him.

"I know." He laughed. I loved his laugh. "You always reminded me."

He held up a packet of envelopes in rubber bands. Every single one contained a letter I had written to him while he was deployed. I had ended each one with “I’m missing you dearly. I love you with all my heart, but you are exactly where you need to be. Come home safe, Caela”

We stood there in the airport just hugging and laughing about the letters in his hand for a while and now and then I would catch the eyes of someone in the airport giving us a smile or an approving “Keep him coming back.” sort of look. I loved those too. 

Finally, we got the rest of his things from the baggage claim carousel and loaded everything into my car. 

We were finally on our way home.

Our home. I thought. That sounds so perfect.

We talked the whole way back, despite his weariness from his travels; he was chatty, but he kept saying how he couldn’t wait to be alone with me. We were alone in the car, but, I knew what he was thinking.

*     *     * 

We got home in less than an hour and Jonathan took his things up to the room and said he was going to take a hot shower before anything else. I just smiled and watched him pick up his towel and nonchalantly toss it over his shoulder.

I fell back on my bed and let happiness wash over me. Happiness for so many things. 

It didn’t last as long as I wanted it to though because my phone beeped, alerting me to the fact that I had a new message, so I had to get up and check it.

Except it wasn’t my phone at all. It was Jonathan’s that had gone off.

Since he was in the shower I figured it wouldn’t hurt if I took a peek. It was probably his mother or brother asking when he would come see them since he was home.

It wasn’t though.

It was a message from one of my friends.

Why wouldn’t she just text me? I thought. 

I slid the “Unlock” bar and opened up the message:

     Roma (3:47 a.m.): Hey you! Heard you were getting back today from Caela. When are you gonna come see me? That last night before you left was incredible, and I’ve been missing you so bad. Let me know when you can get away! *kisses*

Jonathan walked back in the room the same moment I dropped his phone on the floor.




© 2013 The Butterfly Writer


Author's Note

The Butterfly Writer
This was a prompt and short story. I had already been writing a story with the same characters and the situation seemed to be easy to work with for this prompt. It is in no way a reflection of my feelings about veterans (at least the ending). Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on September 27, 2013
Last Updated on November 22, 2013
Tags: The Butterfly Writer, Tumblr, Short Story


Author

The Butterfly Writer
The Butterfly Writer

Fayetteville, AR



About
Well, I've done NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those who are unfamiliar), once so far and I plan to continue to do it. I also have a Wattpad account with more of my work on it but I'm loo.. more..

Writing