The Missing Blood Rite Part 6

The Missing Blood Rite Part 6

A Chapter by CLCurrie
"

Artful Goldenears didn’t ask to become a hero, known as the Bat, but now he has to help a ghost save her children, can he do it in time?

"

The Bat hit the wall after being tossed like a child against it. He dropped to the floor a bit shock at the show of power from the rats. He almost couldn’t believe they could toss him with such ease in a full suit of armor, and yet, it didn’t seem to bother them. It bothers him, but he didn’t have time to argue the matter with them. He jumped back to his feet, seeing one of Tear’s warriors dead on the floor.

                The other trying his best to fight the rat charging him, but the fear of fighting one these monsters had won out against the battle-hardened warrior. He tried his best, but all his skills in combat were failing him and doing so quickly.

                The Bat looked past him to see Tear holding his own against the other rat. Thought the strength of the monster was winning out, Tear had fought his fair share of these demons and knew how to use their powers against them. He rolled, ducked, and dodge the rat’s attack.

                The four throwing knives nailed themselves into the arm of the black rat, making him drop his sword. He cried out, looking over at the Bat only to be run through by the Tear’s warrior. He snarled, turning back to the warrior, smashing him across the face, and pulling the sword free.

                “That seems painful,” the Bat said, kneeing the monster in the open wound before he could bring the blade down on the warrior. The rat wailed from the pain flowering through him. He went to hit the Bat, but he duck, pulling another knife free from under his cape and drove the blade up into the rat’s head.

                The beast fell to the floor, dead and out of the fray.

                The Bat swirling picking up the odd sword racing to help Tear. He catches the other rat’s sword in the fall to kill Tear. The monster shocked at the sword but enraged at the sight of his fallen ally. He punches the Bat right in the helmet, throwing him back a few feet. Stars surrounded the Bat’s head from the mere might of the attack, he shook his head in time to hear the words from the warrior, “Watching out.”

                But he couldn’t move quickly enough against the rat’s blow. The sword flashed, hitting the Bat in the chest, but the armor of the legend hero stood against the enemy’s steel. The monster seems to appall the blade did nothing to the red and black, try again, but this time the Bat blocked the attack with his forearms.

                “You’ll die,” the rat shouted, filling the room with his words.

                “You’re not the first to ask so kindly,” the Bat mocked bring up his knee into the rat’s chest. He coughed at the hit from the hero falling backward but recovered in time to launch another strike. He moved to try to cut off the Bat’s head, but Tear smashed his boot down on the rat’s tail.

                A dirty move and the rat had tears racing to his black eyes, but those tears never had time to fall from them. Tear swung his blade with one clean whack removed the rat’s head from his neck. The monster’s body crashed to the floor along with Tear’s sword as he spun to get to his son.

                The Bat, along with the other warrior, joined the Chief at his side as he cut his son free.

                “Dad,” Mjölnir cried, jumping into his arms.

                “Oh, my son,” Tear weep, “I thought I had lost you too.”

                The Bat smiled under his helmet, glancing back behind him at the rats’ body. He would have to info the city Lord about these monsters. He looked up, seeing Katheryn running to hug her family before she stepped onto the other side. He moved out of the way, even if she would move through him and saw to his horror the bodies of rat started to burn away from unseen fire.

                “By the AllFather,” The Bat said, forcing the warrior to look at the bodies.

                “A spell the White Death places on his spies,” the warrior said. “Even in death, they cannot give their secrets away.”

                “We must go,” Tear said, taking his son out of the stone room hidden under the house. The Bat and the warrior followed wondering if more would come for them, but now that Tear knew the enemy, he would keep his eyes open for them.

                “I want to th ---“Tear started to say once they got outside of the house. He looked for the Bat, but the hero had disappeared without a sound. He sat on the roof above them, watching the boy and his father walk back home. He turns his gaze to the black rune on the wood, making sure to never forget it.

                “Thank you,” Katheryn said beside him in the wind.

                “You’re welcome,” The Bat said, watching the snow start to fall.

                “I pray they will be safe,” she said, letting the wind grab her and take her from the world.

                “As will I,” The Bat said before fleeing from the cold back to his cave.        



© 2020 CLCurrie


Author's Note

CLCurrie
If you had made it this far, then I appreciate it, and before you start to tear my work apart (which doesn’t bother me too much), let me explain something. The most common critique I see is about my spelling and grammar. It is an understandable critique, and I do not blame you for pointing it out. After all, spelling and grammar are the tools in which we use to craft our work, like a paintbrush or a chisel. The artist must know how to use these tools well, but like an artist who has a tremble in their hand's somethings will never be perfect.
My tremble in my hand is caused by my dyslexia. It is something, no matter how much I learn, study, or work on, it will never go away. It is the reason you will find a good bit of spelling and grammar mistakes in my work. I ask you to keep this fact in my when you are about to write your critique.
Also, I feel the need to point this out, this website is like a journal for me. A messy journal I used to work out problems in my stories or to simply warm up before digging into my novels. I do not hire an editor for the work here. I do not spend hours and days pouring over these stories to make them perfect, that energy is saved for the project I plan on taking to market. Everything on this website is my world-building exercises or sketches for other projects.
I do hope you enjoy my work, but this website is not a publishing house for me, and it shouldn’t be for you either. Something to keep in mind as you write your critique.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on February 24, 2020
Last Updated on February 24, 2020
Tags: #adventurestory #shortstory #sto


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing