The Shadow Key Part 3

The Shadow Key Part 3

A Chapter by CLCurrie
"

When a Hood comes knocking ...

"

Scott Windtroll sat in his house smoking his pipe and drinking his ale while watching his lovely wife Sky teach their youngest daughter how to get dinner ready for the evening. He had watch Sky teach all their child this task and how to sow their clothes, and Scott was happy with his lot in life. He had a big family that loved and cared for each other. They pulled together when needed and watched out for each other.

                He might live in the poorer part of the city, and he had to do what it took to make a living, which sometimes meant getting his paws dirty. But the blood washed off, and he could always come back to his wife. She made every evil deed he did for their family worth it in the end.

                Sky didn’t ask too many questions, and Scott did say too much.

                She had to know he didn’t stay on the right path. Sometimes, when he came home with buried paws or a bag full of acorns, he hurt other squirrels for it. He tried, more than once, to go straight. He wanted to make a living the right way, but the right way paid too little for his growing family.

                Scott puffed on his pipe, turning his gaze to his oldest son helping his sister with her school work. Lucas would soon be able to pick up work himself. He would be old enough to become a Knight if he wished. The boy was strong and fast and had a good heart far better than his father.

                Something he got from his mother, Scott would tell himself all the time. And the boy wanted to be Knight, dress up in the sliver armor, and go off to save the Realm.

                Scott didn’t like the idea of his son being a Knight. The streets wouldn’t like it, but he saw it was the best for Lucas after a while. He would get out of the house, off the streets, and do something great with his life. Scott didn’t have the chance to do such things.

                It was best for his son to dream.

                It was even better for a father to dream with his son.

                He smiled with smoke pouring from his mouth, watching his family.

                “Scott,” Sky said, looking over at him, “I need some help.”

                “All right, all right,” he mumbled, getting to his feet. The moment he stood up, the door to the house blew inward. He turned to see the flash of black like a hawk divining out of the sky. He gasps, landing on his back, feeling the cold steel of something shape under his chin. The shadow had kicked his legs from out under him quicker than he knew what had happened.

                “Hello, Scotty,” Melanie hissed.

                “Ah, he did it,” Scott groaned. “I told him not to.”

                “Yes, he did, and let’s talk about that, huh?” Melanie said.

                “Not in front of my family,” Scott said, looking around the small house. Melanie glanced around and saw everyone stun in shock and horror staring more at her cloak than the ax’s blade press to Scott’s neck.

                Melanie backed off, letting Scott get up as he thumbed to the back door. “Outback, I don’t want anyone watching us.”

                “Led the way,” Melanie growled, following him. She glanced over at his son, seeing the burning rage behind his eyes. He wanted to fight her, but Sky had moved to stop him, and the boy knew better.

                Scott rubbed his neck, looking over at Melanie hidden in the shadow of the house. “Did you have to hit me so hard?”

                “You’re luckily that’s all I did,” she said.

                “I guess I am,” he agreed. “I take it Wesley got the key.”

                “What is he looking for?” Melanie asked.

                “Some spellbook called the Blue Night and the Master Chaos,” Scott said. “He believes it is in the Library.”

                “Why?”

                “Why else,” Scott said shrugging,” but to sell it.”

                “To whom?” Melanie asked.

                “Some Clan of Spellcrafters,” Scott said, frowning at her. “They want the book back.”

                “Great,” Melanie hissed. “Why did you let him get this deep?”

                “As if I could stop him,” Scott protested. “Those squirrels he is running around with are bad news.”

                “Who are they?”

                “They call themselves the Devil Goblins,” Scott said, “and they are making a name for themselves.”

                “Are you with them?” Melanie asked, pointing up at him.

                “You know I work for whoever will pay me,” Scott said.

                Melanie shook her head. “You should have come to me before Wesley got this deep into it.”

                Scott narrowed his eyes, hissing,” Why didn’t you ever come back around? You went into the Hoods, never looking back at the squirrels you left behind.”

                “That is because you two were going nowhere,” She snapped. “You are still the same loser as before. Nothing has changed.”

                He crossed his arms. “Good to know your tongue is still sharp.”

                “I am a Hood now,” Melanie said.

                “I can see that.”

                “Not just any Hood,” Melanie said. “I’m a part of the Fearless Five.” Scott uncrossed his arms, stepping back from her. “And Wesley poisoned me.”

                “What are you going to do, Mel?”

                “He has to pay,” Melanie said, the words leaking with rage.

                “Mel, he is your bes - “

                “Was my best friend,” she said. “The moment he poisoned me, he became an enemy.”

                Scott shook his head, not saying a word.

                “Don’t help him, Scotty,” Melanie ordered. “Don’t make me come after you because I will. I don’t want to hurt you or your family.”

                Scott didn’t say anything.

                “I mean it,” she said.

                “You know how the streets are, Mel,” he calmly said.

                She dropped her head. “Please think of your family before you act.”

                “I am thinking of them,” he said. “Unlike you, we don’t live in the Palace.”

                “I mean it, Scott, don’t help him,” Melanie said. She flew back through the house, eyeing the crying children and the scared mother. She nodded at them all before stepping into the light of the sun. She glanced over her shoulder, watching Scott come into the house with disappointment written on his face, and then she stepped to the side chasing after Wesley, hoping and praying she didn’t have to come back to this house.



© 2021 CLCurrie


Author's Note

CLCurrie
I have been working on these story little tales for Whispering Oaks for some time but have kept them in the background. As I’m sure many of you have noticed, I haven’t been posting a lot; lately, there is a reason for it, but sadly, I can’t get into that right now.
However, I am going to start posting more stuff for Whispering Oaks. I wake up most mornings thinking about this world, missing it if I’m honest, and I can’t keep walking away from it. Mostly due to the fact, it keeps pulling me back to it.
I have to work on another world which I also love, but I’ve been letting Whispering Oaks sit on the back burner for a while now. I think I got overwhelmed with the dream of the world. Now is the time to get back into it, and I hope you enjoy what is to come.
As always, please remember when you are about to critique any of my work on here that most of this is world-building notes for me. These stories or letters you are reading are my warm-up writing to the novel I’m currently slaving away on. I say this in the hopes you will go easy with my poor grammars and spelling errors. I try my best to catch what I can when editing, but I’m not that good at it, as you will see. By all means, please help me with story flow, plot holes, characters, and so on. And if you like a character or a world or a tale, let me know. I would love to build more of what you guys like. Also, feel free to interact with me on any matter when it comes to this world. I want a relationship with my readers, and my door is always open.

With a tip of the hat
Chase

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on June 3, 2021
Last Updated on June 3, 2021
Tags: #adventurestory #shortstory #sto


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing