Where have the Ojibwa gone?

Where have the Ojibwa gone?

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

August new poetry number fifteen.

"
“Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.”

“Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.”

Where have the Ojibwa gone?

I am 1/4 Ojibwa and my Ojibwa grandmother raised me. She was took from her reservation at six years old. The government school cut her long black hair, they told her, do not speak your language, no-more. They changed her name and forced a life upon her. She told me. I don't hold revenge, I have forgiven the white people. But I do not forget. I remember everything.

Now I live on the Ojibwa land, once Ojibwa land in the past and now the only remembrance of the great nation. The names of the public schools.

Where are the great forest, that never-ended. Where are the great tribes? The great tribes were put into reservations.

Once Michigan and Ohio were forest states and the white men destroyed the great forest. Now the forest is small and the cities are everywhere. 

Where do the free animals go when the land is no-more?

Once my dear Grandmother was told to forget her language, become civilized and she taught me.

We are the people of the forest, once a great nation and now we have become quiet. Please teach your children, please teach your grandchildren to love the Big lake, the Great forest and befriend the free animals. Please don't forget where you came from. We are the people of the forest.

Today I pray a Ojibwa prayer.
"Please be kind to the Big water,
please allow the trees to grow and touch the sky,
please allow the free animals to have free land to roam and live.
Please allow the children to dance with the Big water and
to find peace in the great forest.
Please Great Spirit,
give me more days to dance with the moon and the sun."
Coyote

”Every animal knows more than you do.”

“Before our white brothers arrived to make us civilized men, we didn’t have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents. Without a prison, there can be no delinquents. We had no locks nor keys and therefore, among us there were no thieves.”










© 2022 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So very sad...I've seen this myself in Alaska where the Indians now westernised are sitting around having lost hope drinking their sorrows away 🌹such sacred people that have been shunned and put down by the greed of money land and power 🌹may the tribes return again and may they be blessed and proud of Thier name 🙏🌹

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I hope too dear Kelly. Thank you for reading and the comment.
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

1 Year Ago

Pleasure always 🌹🌹🌹🌹



Reviews

This moved me about your First Nations people
As you know it happened here in Australia as well to our First Nations people

This poem was very moving and nice to hear about your heritage in your bloodline too John

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

1 Year Ago

Yes I heard about that it’s evil
We need more good over evil
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree my friend.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

1 Year Ago

All people equal
All life to be cherished
Animals and trees land nature etc included.. read more
we just had no right to do what we did....inhumane...No one person is better than another...
It is just sickening to look back in history and feel the shame.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree Jacob. USA had written laws to erase the Native American race. I understand the Native Ameri.. read more
Harmony with nature can be found in learning some of the old ways and seeing how we are a part of creation and share in its care.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree dear Cherrie. We need the river; we need the clean air, and we need food. We need the gifts .. read more
This is an interesting commentary on the American holocaust; the great "ethnic cleansing" of Old Uncle Sam where entire tribes and cultures were silently and efficiently obliterated by the government. The Ojibwa were renamed the white man's word "Chippewa" and even names were changed to suit the English tongue. So much wonderful culture lost and the world is poorer for it. The one thing that stands out for me the most in Native American cultures is how nothing was wasted. Every animal killed for food was respected and every part was used from meat to hide and bones. Compared to European culture it was a much more sacred way, valuing the sanctity of life. But the takers came who valued nothing but their own stomachs and greed which was insatiable and what they did not or could not use, they disdained and threw away leaving devastation in their wake. A sad, but true, observation. Thanks for sharing. F.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Few tribes left in Michigan. Given small area to live. They are quiet. Thank you, Fabian, for readin.. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

I have great compassion for all native American and indigenous peoples around the world. People can .. read more
Almost all the different tribes have had their land taken away as well as their animals...they also were forced to change their names.... the government took the lands and put the tribes on reservations....once they thrived but now many of them have no work.....I think we were taught about how the tribes were pushed off their land ....in today's world, many Indian tribes have casinos and are doing quite well.
well done!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

Very few dear Betty have Casinos. The great Chief Pontiac saw he could not win. My great, great gran.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You're absolutely correct!
Best, B

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 6, 2022
Last Updated on August 6, 2022

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hope Hope

A Poem by Lisasview