Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

A Chapter by Chu-Chi Bear

Diagnosed with Love:

Chapter 17


I had the worst feeling going through the pit of my stomach- Cas had called me and the conversation hadn’t gone the way I wanted it to. The conversation started out fine… until it got to the point where it sounded like I was trying to avoid him. We had a small argument and he hung up this time. He still said goodbye- just not in the sweet way I would want to hear it…

 

I made my way over to the group of tables pushed together as I fumbled around with my papers like a lost little puppy. I really wasn’t up for this presentation at all. “Hey, are you okay?” Dominic placed his hand on my shoulder.


If you’re in such an emotional state from breaking up with your boyfriend or getting into a fight with your BFF forever, then maybe you just don’t have what it takes to be a reporter,” a certain voice told me rather harshly.


Knock it off, Kody- let her tell her story,” defended Dominic.


It’s fine,” I said, firmly placing my things on the table and handing everyone a copy of the story I had written for Mr. Bird. It wasn’t the full story- just a brief explanation.


Angry?” asked Kody.


Hardly- people like you give me a reason to be who I am. Are you done being sexist or can I start what we came here for?


Please start,” entered Mr. Bird, shutting the door behind him.


Dominic looked up, noticing I didn’t have a copy and handed me one. I gently shook my head. “Thanks, but I don’t need it.” His expression was a little bit shocked, but he nodded and laid it back down on the table. “I’m Star Saitou, new edition to the paper starting today. I’m starting this with a survey.” I sat on the table beside Dominic, my new, first partner. “How many of you have younger siblings?” Everyone raised their hands except Kody. I didn’t focus on him and kept on with my plant. Well, this is regarding them since Higher Peaks is the only daycare around in this area. We have little choice as to where our siblings go. Friday evening, it was heard- and recorded- that the money you have been paying out to that daycare has been abused and is being used for personal uses.”

 

I saw a hand go up and I looked up at a blonde haired girl. “Does that mean there’s no more money for the little ones?”

 

Dominic placed his hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, “Try to ignore her, as well as Kody.”

 

I tried to take his advice and sweetly answered the blonde. “That’s where I’m getting. What’s your name?”

 

Mackenzie.” She twirled her natural blonde hair on her index finger and gave me a look that made me think twice about her being straight at all, and it kind of scared me a bit.


I continued, “If you flip over to the second page, there are two pictures. The first picture shows good furniture and brand new toys. Second one? Beaten down chairs, rarity toys, and some of the kids are even sitting on the floor. What’s the difference between these two pictures?” I asked, not to any particular person, but just out loud.


Time?” Kody answered. “So kids destroy toys. Tell us something we don’t know.” A few of them nodded in agreement. I figured it was because he had the power and others just naturally followed his lead.


Shut up, Kody, let her talk,” warned Dominic.


In any case, that’s the wrong answer.” I jumped off the table. “The answer is the people who used to own the daycare have changed and moved onto a different department. The people who own the daycare now have changed the rules without running the new rules by the families for their own personal gain.” I started walking around the room.


What proof do you have of this?” No one seemed to be asking questions but him. He seemed determined to make me crash. If this was a test, fine. I’ll take it.


Page three is the printed out copy of a page of the daycare’s finances. Page four is the digital copy pulled right off the online account summary. You compare them and you tell me the difference.”

 

Everyone, including Kody, searched between the two pages. Dominic looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. Mr. Bird, on the other hand, wore no facial expression. Finally, after a while of silence, Dominic nodded for me to go on- but Kody beat me to it. “How did you even get this?”

 

She’s not required to release that information.” said Mr. Bird, urging me to continue.


After carefully observing the difference, I have come up with a list of questions which should be asked directed towards the daycare- none that I wish to share with other than the person I will be working with. Other than that, we should be able to trust and rely on the safety of our children and siblings while we’re away. The first and most important would be the safety of the kids. The second issue would cover money fraud, theft, stealing- whatever term you wish to use.”

 

Money should be the first issue we tackle if this is a story we were to do. The economy is more important.”

 

Would you rather have ten thousand dollars or would you rather have your little brother or sister?”

 

Don’t have siblings.”

 

Since you don’t have any, do you think other kids don’t matter?”

 

I didn’t say that.”

 

I never said you said it- I asked you a question.”

 

No.” He gritted his teeth.


If it were your mom, would you react differently?” He didn’t answer. All eyes were on us. “Like I said, safety first, money second is how this situation should and will be handled.” I made my way over to where I had previously sat and stood behind my chair. “That’s all that I am going to say on the matter until my story is completely finished. Any questions?”

 

I like it,” said a red headed girl, pushing her thick glasses further up on her nose, “and I like you. Welcome to the paper.”

 

Thank you.” I nodded at her.


Dominic stood up. “All in favor of Star’s story?” Everyone raised their hands but Kody and the blonde headed girl that had spoken earlier, and it made me smile. “Meeting adjourned.” Everyone grabbed their things and headed for the door. Kody was the first one out.


How’d I do?” I asked, looking towards Mr. Bird.


You did good, kid,” he said. “Real good.”

 

So… front paper material?” I asked.


I said it was, didn’t I?”

 

But I thought-”

That was to get you to introduce yourself- get into what our general meetings are like. In rare cases, a student will come to me over Kody and I say it goes on the front paper. Whether they agreed or not, it was still going on the front page.”

 

I turned to Dominic. “Thank you for all your support and help.”

 

You’re most welcome. You were great, partner.” We both laughed. “It’s time someone else besides Kody got the spotlight.” I smiled at his statement.



© 2010 Chu-Chi Bear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

REALLY REALLY GOOD I HOPE TO READ MORE!!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
1 Review
Added on March 22, 2010
Last Updated on March 22, 2010


Author

Chu-Chi Bear
Chu-Chi Bear

columbus, OH



About
I love to write. My dream forever and always-- to become a novelist. There's not a day that i don't write. I'm always coming up with something new and making it into a story. It's always good to have .. more..

Writing
Chapter Ten Chapter Ten

A Chapter by Chu-Chi Bear