Chapter One Part One

Chapter One Part One

A Chapter by Cheyenne
"

The first chapter of on carter thyme!! Hope you like it read and review!!

"

                           Chapter One

                               Part One

 

 

              It’s late around twelve thirty A.M., on September 20th. It’s my birthday. He promised he’d be there exactly at twelve the minute turned 17. Instead it’s the police when I open the door. I’m ready to pounce on him, then I stop. There are two officers a man and a woman. The man is very stout and his name is Chester. The woman can’t be more than twenty-five and is very pretty, her name is Lena.

 

       

        I invite them in and they ask me to sit on the couch they do the same. Just to be sure he asks me if my name is Carter Thyme. I’m in my own world wondering why they are here, so it takes him a second time for me to answer. When I do I don’t answer verbally I nod my head.

 

 

        Then the woman Lena starts talking saying that “Bennet Danes.” As if I didn’t know his last name. “Bennet Died in an accident he broke his neck climbing down the back porch.”

 

               

        I think back to the fact that Bennet hated using the front door because he had to walk all the way back to the garage. He would always climb down his balcony jump onto the carriage house or garage whatever you want to call it. Then he would use a latter he and Julian his brother had put there years ago.

 

       

 

        I sit frozen in my position on the couch. Chester and Lena wait for my reaction to come pain in both their eyes. I whisper barely audible “No he can’t be dead.” Then I fall into hysterics. I’m screaming “It’s my all fault!!” Officer Lena is calling and ambulance, while Chester tries to keep me from hurting myself or one of them.

 

 

 

 

        He says. “Carter listen to me you’ve got to calm down nothing was your fault.” In a calm steady voice.

 

 

 

        But I can’t be consoled; he’s holding me by my wrists now. I’m twisting and turning trying to break free of his grasp. They’re starting to feel raw hurt from all the writhing. Just minutes before the paramedics arrive my three friends Tahara, Olivier, and Kasen arrive. I can tell through my tears that the looks on their faces are both frightened and somber.

 

               

 

        The paramedics rush in yelling for them to “MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!!”

 

Then everything goes black, and that’s what I remember. When I wake everyone that was at my house is in the hospital room. Everyone but the emergency paramedics. There’s an I.V. in my arm slowly dripping something into my system. There are also bandages wrapped around both my wrists. They feel raw like sand paper was rubbed relentlessly across them.

 

 

When Tahara finally realizes I’m awake a look of relief runs across her face. She says “Carter I’m so sorry, I can’t even imagine how you feel. You don’t ever scare us like that again though. The paramedics nearly had to put me out too.”

 

 

Then my parents rush into the room. They rub to me on the hospital bed. My mother is crying and trying to speak through sobs. “Oh sweeet he-art I’m so sorry. How are you? Oh my god you’re all bandaged up and…” she can’t speak anymore. She kisses me now then hugs me.

 

Taking me by my arms she squeezes my wrists. “OUCH!!” I cry out in pain. She jumps back not knowing what she done.

 

“What’s wrong? What did I do?!!”

 

        I lift my arms so she can see the bandages. “ I hurt myself trying to get out of the officers grip.”

 

 

        There is a look of extreme horror on her face. “Oh baby I’m sorry.”

 

        Then the doctor enters the room. He says to us “I’m Dr. Darren Sheltz, and you must be Carters mother and father.”

 

       

        My father comes to shake his hand introducing himself. “I’m Robyn Thyme and this is my wife Codiana. We’re so grateful to you for helping our daughter.”

 

 

       

        “She’s one strong girl nearly broke Chester restraint. But she should be ok her wrists were injured pretty badly, some of the skin was stripped away. Oh and you may be wondering about the bandage on her head she hit it on the coffee table, and there is a long cut across it.”

 

       

        I hadn’t noticed this before but then I feel my head. Its there alright.

 

 

        “That sounds ok. We’re just so worried about her. We lost our oldest daughter a year ago, and she is still recovering from that. Then her Bennet her boyfriend dying on her birthday. They’ve known each other since they were about 9 years old. The Danes’ are very close friends of ours. The two of them have been dating since they were about 13 years old, and they were highly inseparable. I don’t know how she’ll get through this.”

 

 

        I love how they act like I’m not in the room but I decide not to say anything. Dr. Sheltz gives him a pat on the back and a look that says I’m sorry.

 

 

        My mother cuts into the conversation then. “When I grabbed her did it do anything worse to her arms, and why can’t we take her home tonight. She can’t be stuck in here.”

 

 

                The doctor does a double take on my mother; He says “It’s just precautionary. Also what was your name, Mrs. Thyme?”

 

 

        “Ok, and my name is Codiana my maiden name is Rae.”

 

 

                “You can’t be the Codi Rae who went to RedThorn University in Pennsylvania?”

 

 

 

                My mothers eyes light up, she gets so much joy out of talking about her high school and college days. I can tell by her look that she thinks she remembers this man. “Yes I did and I think I do remember you. Your name sounded very familiar.”

 

 

                “Well I went there and I believe we graduated the same year. I dated and married a friend of yours named Cecil Reems.”

 

                “Oh Cecil yes. The last time I heard from her was about 5 years ago and she was being divorced. I do remember you now though, we were all such very good friends.”

 

 

                “Yea it didn’t work out for her and I we both wanted different things it seems.”

 

 

                My dad is listening to the conversation and I wonder why he hasn’t spoken to me yet. Then he finally walks over and speaks to me. “Hi dumpling how are you doing?” he kisses my head.

 

 

                “Hey dad I’m doing ok my arms hurt and well I’m kind of in shock still. You haven’t called me that in years.”

 

 

                “You gave your mom and me quite a scare darling and I’m so sorry about Bennet. I know you loved him so much. Oh and I know I just wanted to make you smile a little bit.”

 

 

        “Love him dad, I love him. Thanks for making me smile though.” I force the best one I can. He knows it’s forced though and he gives me a look that says it’s ok.

 

 

        The doctor finishes the conversation with my mom and walks to me. “Hi Carter I hope your feeling ok.”

 

 

                “Thank you. I’m ok I guess.”

 

 

        “I’m going to need everyone to leave the room. Well except for Mrs. Thyme if she wants to stay.” He says.

 

                Everyone but my mother files out of the room. The doctor goes through a list of questions some personal some not, and does a couple tests. Then he gives me a few medication sheets.

 

 

                “Well that’s about all there is.” He stands ready to leave the room, then he stops. “Carter happy birthday.” Giving a smile when he says it.

 

 

      That’s right isn’t it? It is my birthday. “Thank you so much doctor.”

 

 

        “Your welcome and Mrs.Thyme I hope to keep in touch.” Dr, Sheltz leaves the room then.

 

 

        Everyone comes back into the room now, but the officers are gone. I can tell that Kasen and Olivier are a little bit uncomfortable.

 

 

        Kasen speaks first “Well Thyme we’re gonna go. Karson should be on her way home by now. I called her and mom earlier this morning, the whole dance squad doesn’t even want to compete anymore. They are though but coach said that Kar could leave you being her best friend and all.”

 

 

 

        “Well tell your twin to call.” Me I say tearfully. “And you three come give me hugs.”

 

 

       

        They slowly shuffle over to hug me. The room is painfully quiet.

“I love you guys so much and thank you for being here.”

 

 

                As the three of them leave three new people enter the room. Bennet’s parents and younger sister. Their names are Ryland, Elisabetta, and Clara. Ryland is his father, Elisabetta his mother, and Clara his sister.

 

 

        Elisabetta’s voice filly the room with babbling sentences. First Ellie, then Bennet and now you!!” By Ellie she means my sister. The sentence go on. “Why why why!!” She literally screaming and not sobbing.

 

 

        Seeing this Clara starts in to. “Oh Carter there can’t be anything wrong with you. Please don’t let there be anything wrong with you!!”

 

 

        Ryland though stands there staring somberly on the whole scene as if he’s a ghost watching us. The happiness I used to see behind his eyes is no longer there. There is no sparkle, only a deep abyss of where pain now lies.

 

 

        A nurse comes rushing into the room. “You all have got to calm down we don’t want to excite the patient. It’s either calm down or leave which do you choose?”

 

 

 

        Elisabetta and Clara instantly stop. “We’re sorry.” They say simultaneously.

 

 

                “Now that’s better. Don’t make me have to come in this room again.” The nurse has a kind way about her but I can tell if needed she can be stern. She gives me a kind elderly woman smile.

 

 

 

 

        I’m crying now because I don’t know if I can face them. Their sons death was all my fault. “I’m fine. It’s all my fault though all mine. I’m so sorry.”

 

 

        Elisabetta comes to give me a hug and kisses my forehead. She whispers to me “No don’t ever say it was your fault it was no ones fault just a terrible accident.” I try to speak while she says this but she cuts me off with her motherly be quiet look. It amazes me that she can still give it at a time like this. Going on she says “I don’t ever want to hear those words pass your lips again. Do you understand.”

 

 

                I nod my head yes. “I’ll do my best but…”

 

 

 

                “There are no buts in this there’s nothing we can do.” It’s paining her to speak so we just hug now.

 

 

 

        Dr. Sheltz comes back in the room again. He introduces himself to Bennets family. Then says “I’m going to have to ask you all to leave, our pretty patient needs all the rest she can get.”

 

 

        Ryland speaks up now “Well I guess that makes us on Carter Thyme as usual.” He chuckles.

 

 

                For the first time since I was last with Bennet a feeling of safety washes over me. I love that saying even more now. It was given to me by Ryland, Bennet, and Julian years ago. They said this because whenever we would all go somewhere together I’d be the last one ready. With Thyme being my last name it made me an easy target. So jokingly we were always on Carter Thyme. It annoyed me in the worst way at first but I grew to love it greatly.

 

 

        I give him a knowing look. The Danes come to hug me and leave and then my parents do also. They leave promising to be back soon.

 

 

        Once they are gone the same nurse that was here earlier comes in with a needle full of something in her hand. “Now Carter we’re going to give you a sedative to help you sleep. You may be asleep for awhile.”

 

 

       

        “Ok I think I’m ready for a good sleep.” I watch as she puts the needle into the I.V. Then I slowly slip out of consciousness.

                                 

         

         

          While I sleep I dream of him, it’s for the first time in years because I don’t ever remember my dreams. I dream of the last day we were together. We’re sunning through the woods together, except there is no wind or rustle in the trees. I fall and he jumps on top of me, I touch his face and it seems nearly real. Then I’m standing about 15 feet away from his deck where Julian and he climbed to the garage.

 

       

        Suddenly I see a body on the deck. He climbs onto the railing he starts to climb down the deck to the second highest patio to where he’ll have to jump. I realize what this is now. My sweet dream is turning into a and twisted nightmare.

 

        “Bennet don’t jump!!” I scream. He looks back giving me a smile that says hold on I’ll be there soon. He jumps from the patio to the carriage house. He’s going to make it, it seems!! It’s not a nightmare after all he’s coming to me. Then his foot suddenly slips. “Bennet STOP NOW!!” I scream. He looks back still smiling Then his other foot slips and he’s falling.

 

 

 

        I wake up screaming “NOOOO!!”

 

 

 

        When the nurse arrives I’m sobbing into my pillows. “Carter what is it?”

 

 

        “I had a nightmare. Abou-abou-about Bennet.” I choke out.

 

 

 

        The sheets on my bed are drenched in sweat. “It’s ok sweetheart you’re here in the hospital you’ll be ok. I can only imagine how you feel.”

 

 

 

        “I just wan to go home, and be with my family and friends. Please let me go home!!”

 

 

       

        “I know sweetheart you’ll be going home later on today.”

 

 

        I glance at the clock it’s 9:00 A.M. “No I want to go now please! This place is dreadful I hate it!!”

 

 

        “Please Carter you have to calm down you’ll disturb the other patients.” The nurse says.

 

 

        “I’m sorry.” I say putting the pillow over my face while I finish sobbing. I fall back asleep praying I don’t dream that dreadful dream again. 

 



© 2010 Cheyenne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good first chapter. A lot of conflict and you create some good characters. I like how you set-up the story. The description was very good. You open the door for a very good story. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was pretty good. There are some spelling errors though. Not really spelling errors, but there were places where you could put periods or commas to show a break in the lines. This was pretty good. Keep it up.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pretty well written, and written with nice pace and flow, and introduces your character and foreshadows conflicts. Nice jobb, and keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 4, 2010
Last Updated on June 7, 2010


Author

Cheyenne
Cheyenne

KC, MO



About
Hey guys. Im Cheyenne im 14 and really love to write. ALot of people tell me i'm really good and would buy a book if i wrote one! I live in KC and my friend Cleo Christine introuduced me to this site... more..

Writing
The Stage The Stage

A Poem by Cheyenne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cant Sleep... Cant Sleep...

A Story by Manda