Chapter 4: Lycans

Chapter 4: Lycans

A Chapter by Dead Angel
"

Serena finds out about werewolves and the truth behind her mother's death becomes clear

"

Three months have passed by and Serena has slowly been getting over her grief. She’s even gone out of her room and has taken a walk around the grounds. Ash has asked to accompany her but each time she has declined; whatever relationship they had before would never be the same again, and she knew this. As she was walking, admiring the rose bushes and cherry blossoms she noticed the guards were watching her intently.

They probably think I’ll run away. She thought

She was considering taking another walk when a knock came at the door. She goes to answer it and is surprised to see a pregnant brunette vampire standing before her.

“Hi.” She said

“Hello.” Serena replied.

“My name is Lyla. Ash asked me to bring you a cup of blood, he’s a bit busy right now.”

“Oh ok, thank you.”

The two girls stand in silence for a while; Serena was still stunned by Lyla’s appearance and it made her think of Colleen.

“Is it ok if I come in?” Lyla asked.

“Oh um…sure.”

She opens the door wider and allows her to enter the room. Lyla looked as if she were gliding more than walking. Her long gown flowed ever so gently with each step she took; Serena began to wonder if that’s how she looked when she walked. She grabs a pillow off the bed and places it on one of the chairs.

“Thank you.” Lyla says as she sits down.

Serena goes and sits on the bed; this was her first interaction with another vampire since her transformation. Silence overcame them once more and Lyla is the one that starts a conversation.

“I know its hard for you.” She says. “This type of lifestyle was hard on every one of us, especially for someone whose lost everything. I, too, have lost a husband. We were married for 15 years when he died of heart disease.”

“I’m sorry.” Serena said.

“Thank you. This life isn’t so bad. You learn to let go and move on, once you do things get easier.”

Serena found it a bit comforting to meet someone who shares her grief. She thought over what she had said but couldn’t imagine letting go. When she thought of moving on and starting a new life, a pain hit her heart and she knew that she could never do that to David and Colleen.

“So how long have you been… a vampire?” She asked

“About 150 years. Brock was the one who turned me, I met him a year after my husband’s death. He’s very sweet and funny. He looks mean because he hardly smiles but I guess he just wants to stay intimidating since he’s second in command of The Knights.”

“Who are The Knights?”

“You don’t know? I thought you would since Ash is the leader.”

Serena continues to look at her confused.

“Well they are sort of warrior vampires. They protect the coven from enemies and make sure they aren’t threatening our territory.”

“Enemies? Who are our enemies? Other vampires?”

Lyla was instructed not to give her too much information, especially when it came to that particular subject.

“Um, it’s a pretty long story and I actually have an appointment with the coven doctor, Thanlos.”

Serena recognized the name as the vampire that helped Ash restrain her when she woke up. Lyla begins to to get up and she moves over to help her.

“I can walk you over if that’s alright? I’ve been meaning to get out of the room.”

“Yea sure, that would be fun.”

Both women began walking out of the room and into the hallway. It’s mid-day and the mansion is pretty active, Serena usually went out at night to avoid being around so many vampires, though she did see a few every now and then. As they walked down the hallway she didn’t feel so awkward since she was with someone. It wasn’t until a male vampire stepped aside and gave a small bow. She didn’t think much of it, just a guy being courteous. Then a female did it and a few vampires after that.

“Why is everyone bowing?” she asked.

“It’s customary to show respect to the coven leader’s family and since you’re Armand’s daughter we have to show you some respect, hence the bowing.” Lyla explained.

“I’m his step-daughter, not his actual daughter.”

“You’re still related through marriage so you’re practically royalty here.”

Serena snorts as she remembers how cold and persistent he was on her accepting her new life and being with Ash.

They begin walking down the stairway and into the living room where other vampires were lounging about. When they all saw her they all stared and the room began to grow quiet. The entire coven were amazed at how much she resembled her mother and everyone began reminiscing about how much life she brought to the mansion. Serena began feeling uncomfortable until Thanlos cleared his throat loudly, signaling everyone to go back to what they were doing. Once they did he walked over to them wearing black pants and a black shirt with a doctor’s white coat.

“Hello Serena.” He said.

“Hi.”

“How have your stomach pains been?”

“Still there but a little less intense.”

“Good, they should be completely gone in a few months.”

“Oh ok.”

He smiled his charming smile and turned his attention to Lyla. “Hello Lyla, how’s the little one doing?” he asks as he puts his hands on her stomach.

“Kicking like crazy.” All three begin to laugh.

“Well let’s head over to the infirmary and take a look.”

Just as they were about to walk over the front doors of the mansion burst open and a beast jumps into the room. Everyone screams and scramble to get out of the way; Serena had never been so scared then at that moment. The beast was huge with really dark brown hair, long fangs, sharp claws that tore a couch in half and eyes so fierce it chilled her to the bone. The scent of dirt, grass and dried blood filled her enhanced sensitive nostrils and she had to cover her nose.

A whip was around its neck with a male vampire pulling at the other end trying to control the monster. More vampires in black outfits flooded the room and surrounded the beast as it thrashed all over the living room. Thanlos stood in front of both women, shielding them from any harm. Serena looked in horror at the group of vampires, she assumed were Knights, brought out more whips and lashed them around the monster, trying to restrain it. Finally, a male vampire entered into the room and walked right up to it with a semi-automatic rifle and brought the handle down on its head, knocking it out.

“Get that thing down to the basement now!” He barked.

Just as they were about to take hold of the animal, Serena saw that it was transforming. Its fur smoothed out to skin, its fangs turned to regular teeth and its claws turned to fingers; it had morphed back to a dark haired man.

It’s human? Serena thought in total awe.

The male vampire who gave the order quickly walked in their direction.

“Lyla, are you alright?”

“I’m fine love.”

“How’s the baby?”

“Active, just like its father.”

They both laughed and then kissed, Serena knew this to be Brock, Lyla’s mate. He was quite tall and very muscular, short black hair, strong facial features and dark brown eyes. When he was done checking on Lyla, he turned his attention on her.

“Hello Serena, good to see you out and about.” He said a bit sternly.

“Hello.” She replied still shaken by what she saw.

“We were just on our way for my check-up.” Lyla said.

“Oh good I’ll come with you.” Brock replied

“Ok, Serena are you coming?”

“Oh um, no I think I’ll just head back to the room.”

“Are you alright?” Thanlos asked as he began to observe her.

“I’m fine. Excuse me.” She left the group and began heading up the stairs. Though she was halfway down the hallway, her enhanced hearing enabled her to listen to what was said about her.

“Ash deserves someone better than a stuck up princess like her.”

“Brock please, she might hear you.” Lyla said.

Serena rushed to her room and slammed the door. She couldn’t believe he would say such a thing about her, he didn’t even know her. She was angered by his comment but at the same time she was shaken by what she had seen. She just couldn’t believe that that thing was, or still is, human. Her mind was trying to contemplate it all that she walked over to the window and pulls back the curtains. As the sunrays hit her skin, she screams in pain and falls to the ground. The bedroom doors open and Ash runs in.

“Serena!!” He runs to the windows and closes the curtains. She realizes that the sun didn’t burn him like it did her. “Are you alright? Let me see.”

She was still uncomfortable around him so she was a bit hesitant. “I’m fine.”

“C’mon Serena let me see.” He grabs her arm and takes a look; her skin had gone from a pale white to a light brown and stung quite a bit. “Well its no so bad, it should heal within the hour.” He said as he wrapped one of her scarf’s around her arm.

“Why didn’t you get burned?” she asked.

“Well I’m 300 years old so my body has become immune to a lot of things. You on the other hand, are still a newborn and you’re body hasn’t fully matured yet.”

Once he as done tending to her wounds he began caressing her hands but she reluctantly pulled away and walked to the other end of the room. Ash sighes as his frustration was hitting its peak. Time and time again he’s tried to get close to her, to make things like they were between them. He remembered all the letters they wrote to each other after Irene had given him her address. He still had her letters, but after bringing some of her memorabilia, he hadn’t found his. He just stood there trying to think of a way to make her happy.

“What was that thing?” she asked breaking the awkward silence.

“What thing?”

“That animal that your knights brought in.”

“You saw that?” Serena nods her head. “I told them to go through the back.” Ash said angered. “that was what we call a Lycan, or in popular terms, a werewolf.”

            “A werewolf?”

“Yes, they are the main reason the Knights are around.”

Serena began to think about all the stories of vampires and werewolves and couldn’t believe that they were true. She thought about what her mom must of thought when she found out. Then her death popped into her mind and began to put one and one together. It was as if a veil had been lifted and she finally saw the truth.

“I need to see Armand now.” She said and walked out of the room.



© 2010 Dead Angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on February 26, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2010


Author

Dead Angel
Dead Angel

Weslaco, TX



About
Use our Free Myspace Banner Maker! Click Here! View my page on Poetry Flow Hello! If you are reading this then you either heard about me from a friend or your just browsing. My writing comes fr.. more..

Writing
New Life New Life

A Book by Dead Angel