Cement Pillows

Cement Pillows

A Poem by Judas Hammer
"

Another older poem. I used to take long walks down dark streets. I would write about what I saw. Sometimes, most times it was not pretty-

"

Cement pillow

 

Is where he lays his head.

The stairwell outside the Post Office is his bed.

Or the front of the AT&T building.

The Little Fish Theater on the oning outside.

Is where he sometimes reside.

Metal cart keep hold his possessions.

Where he will go next only keeps me guessing.

Sometimes he makes tarp tents.

Others are more creative in what they invent.

I saw a man sleep in the Cabrillo beach bathroom.

It stank like hell and piss.

But had plenty of room.

Alone.

By themselves.

Some body’s mother, brother, or significant other.

Lying in the cold California night.

Seems like they have lost the fight with life.

But it is just a standing eight count.

But at midnight.

By the street light.

I see them.

Lying on cement pillow.

© 2012 Judas Hammer


Author's Note

Judas Hammer
Feel free to comment or leave your own story--

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KT
Sent shivers down my spine. We never truly know who the next homeless person we see really is, do we? Interesting write...

Posted 11 Years Ago


such stark - strong images in this piece. A disturbing write and you make the reader face it.
Well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


I've seen people like this before. I live in Atlanta and sometimes you see such people around. My heart goes out to them and I really wish I could help them. The connection you made of the concrete being their pillow is really....wow, I really like it a lot.

The only part of the poem that got a bit iffy for me is the part about the man sleeping in the bathroom. Those four following lines that are rather short seem....a bit more rough around the edges than the rest of the poem. And it seems odd to have short lines in the middle of medium length lines. Then again, that's just me. I still enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Deeply disturbing in its reality. There is a part of all of us inside that grieves for the ones you speak of. I think there is also a fear that we too could end up sleeping on a cement pillow. This is what brings out the fear in people and makes them recoil from the sight. Nice job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


@Chris--That's you opinion. Don't really think you understand the piece. As for impact, it's an observational piece, if it had an impact on the reader that's a great thing. As for flaw I don't understand you question, maybe if you made it less cryptic I could respond. Maybe it just takes a lot to impact you. As for what you deem flaw(rolling my eyes) who cares about your flaws...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I well understand your thoughts... but the "flaws" take away a lot of the impact. Were they planned or uncared about - the flaws, I ask because they aren't your norm. Ever been hungry - as in you didn't eat because you didn't have anything TO eat? Sleeping "out" is a lark except when you are afraid to close your eyes because you might not ever open them again. Eventually its less frightening to die than continue.

Take care,
Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Much felt write. Glad you wrote this poem, it's really nice .. i have encountered these kinds of people too and even worse, there was a woman on the street once, i don't know if she was dead or asleep, but she was turned to aside and half naked and had dirtied herself, a pretty sad sight to see. Thanks for sharing this poem :))

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful write. One of my passions is opening peoples eyes to the things they wish not to see! you have done this wonderfully! thank you!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is very deep and touching. It's good to see a poet that writes about the world around him, things he observes, and a wide variety of subjects. I live in California and I also see homeless people. For some reason, the things I wear seem to cheer them up. They're not shy, and they yell out at me if they like my colorful clothes! LoL I always stop by to say thank you and acknowledge them, even if I have no money to give them.
Thanks for sharing this poem. Very awesome.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2012

Author

Judas Hammer
Judas Hammer

The City of Angeles, CA



About
I like to write, live in La and write and make short films. and more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy