Human

Human

A Poem by Cole Hayley
"

Have I told you my insides are made of plastic?

"

Have I told you my insides are made of plastic?

My blood runs with a creamy cherry taste, 

My veins were compounded from a beautiful church window

Dressed up with a staind glass mantra. 

My bones are made of chalk 

The type of chalk that your teacher used in pre-school

The same type I was allergic to.  

Who knew? 

I think I must of watered down my condition

Either that or I made a bad prediction 

Because it turns out my brain is made of faulty electrical wires. 

I have blocks of wood for muscles

And bottle caps for eyes. 

My ears are made from the hinges of old doors, 

My nose was modelled from the wood of old floors, 

And my fingernails are dressed up with pretty metal. 

Tonight I just wan't to feel like myself again, 

Tonight my heart is a fumbling sub-wolfer 

Riddled with tiny pieces of distortion. 

© 2012 Cole Hayley


Author's Note

Cole Hayley

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Michelangelos's David & his Pietà.
A child's snowman at yuletide.
Edward Scissorhands.
The Tinman.
Any in-store mannequin.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Descartes was right when he challenged the fact the people he saw were who they claimed to be, just because that's the way things are. And how they should be. Or so we are told.

If you stabbed any statue in any South American Catholic church will it cry? Or bleed?

How dissimilar are we to those immortalised in stone?

I like how you go from evoking one emotion to the other, and your use of varying language/references keeps the poem alive and mutating. It doesn't remain stagnant as it is not given the chance.

This style is evident in all of your poetry and a lot of it comes across as a rap/freestyle shouting.

It's nice how you address the reader on occasion and then leave him to his own devices. It's sort of like an old man talking to his grandson before forgetting he was even ever there. I like the ending of the poem. It's a rather wonderful analagy of the heart to describe it like you have done.

Riddled with tiny pieces of distortion. That's almost a perfection description for anybody who has felt the way you are trying to explain.

I'll read this again and if I get anything else from it I'll let you know. It's a nice piece, though.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Splendid read and write. Excellent metaphor and imagery.

Posted 10 Years Ago


'Tonight I just wan't to feel like myself again;
Tonight my heart is a fumbling sub-woofer'

Perfect.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


First line can be omitted. it sticks out weirdly in disparity with the rest of the piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


i loved this~ this peice was so powerful, the imagery was just superb great job totally a fav~

Posted 11 Years Ago


You have a amazing mind. I like the description of the body in the poem. I had to read a few times to enjoyed your thoughts and actions in the poem. No weakness in the amazing poetry. A very good ending to the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your poem reminds me of a society where humans transforming into virtual robots fighting for dominion over all that’s left of civilization. But robots can't have chalk as bones. Or is it the state of mind that's changing? Away from reality? Or is it the lack of free will? But then again, I could be wrong..

This is a good piece and can be interpreted in so many ways.



Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautifully written. The metaphors are strong and precise. No errors besides something that tripped me up in the line "Tonight my heart is a fumbling sub-wolfer". Do you mean sub-woofer? As in the speaker? Not sure... but regardless, great poem. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


You do happen to have a fresh style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


typo in fourth line. I think I must HAVE watered down my condition...
Great way to express not feeling yourself! Very descriptive. Loved the imagery!


Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

673 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 23, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: Human sad lonely human condition

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forsaken Forsaken

A Poem by Tai Ryens


Drips of Wisdom #10 Drips of Wisdom #10

A Chapter by Pax


Stuffed Stuffed

A Poem by Muse