Lost Ending

Lost Ending

A Chapter by Damian Vincent Henry

Lost Ending
Cain looked surprised, and he shook KillWorld’s hand once more, gave him a hug, and then they saw the massacre.
Cain and Lord KillWorld looked baffled on their faces….their bodies yet not shivered, although it were cold as ice, yet…..they saw what they hath least expected.
“They stood there shocked….looking at the vile and vicious creature that were in their presence.”
Suddenly ……
One of it came running at them, and as running towards them, Cain blamed Don Nathaniel for bringing them to his Island. Don Nathaniel said nothing, and prepared himself for the massive force of the one creature. Cain refused to help him then, seeing he was upset that he never had any problems….he lived a peaceful life, as that of a human. But being the man that he was….Don Nathaniel would not dare, ever ask for help, nor would he complain if he had to fight alone.
The creature went for Cain instead. It wanted to kill him, it seemed.
The other men wanted to kill it, for they defended their master and it wanted to kill him, yet Cain could’ve defended himself, but it was as if he accepted his fate, as if he was ready to die, give his life to Purgatory.
Don Nathaniel refused to accept the fate, Cain wanted to bestow unto himself, instead…Don Nathaniel said, they be not interfere in his affairs, nor should his own men, question his authority for what he were about to do; Don Nathaniel wanted to kill it himself….so he distracted the beast’s attention from Cain, drawing attention to himself. Alas he knew what he’ll get himself into, doing such an act. as Don Nathaniel faced off, against the fearless beast, it ripped a piece of skin off from Don Nathaniel’s chest, with Don Nathaniel without prior notice, felt the burn of his skin, by just a touchy of the tongue of the beast; that licked his chest. Of course Don Nathaniel could heal repeatedly; even if it were an arm or a leg. But to their surprise the beast turned out to be actually playful with Don Nathaniel, and ironically….Don Nathaniel played with the beast and so did his own men. They laughed; Benjamin and Benedict got on the back of the beast and rode around like two insane men, filled with rum. Indeed they were….that was the only thing they knew that would ease their past pains, drowning in their sorrows, yet not showing it; nevertheless, they called the rum’ ….water.

Hence Cain saw that Don Nathaniel, was not as he expected, yet also not the man he hath intended him to be like….for Cain expected a man that was not filled with good and bad, but only good. So that he can change through him. Alas it seemed, Cain would reconsider distancing himself from Don Nathaniel…rather staying a true friend to him. Cain then smiled, sat down on the ground and watched those four…play with the beast.
Ivan and his men then sat there with Cain. Ivan sitting next to Cain and they looked at Don Nathaniel play with the beast. Yet it seemed, none of these men were a threat to each other, they actually seemed to get along quite well.
Deep inside the mind of Don Nathaniel, he had a thought about Ivan and his men, he saw them not as enemies, or men that hated or envied him, but rather allies. But he saw them as a threat to the beast he has grown so fond about; yet he looked at Ivan whilst playing with his new found pet…looked into Ivan’s eyes, even-tough Ivan spoke to Cain; Don Nathaniel looked deep within the soul of Ivan, saw his emotions and way of living, were sort of different in a way, yet strange and it felt strange to him because they were Vikings, now they were mere men. But why the sudden change?” Don Nathaniel asked himself. Who had this power to change a man in such way?’
Nevertheless, he was satisfied with these new Crowkans.
The beast then heard a howl, and it ran off, and all the men followed Don Nathaniel as he followed the beast, when arriving there….they discovered more like the young beast, but the others looked differently. For instant, they had smoke coming out of their nostrils; and seeing they looked like dogs in a certain way….Don Nathaniel rose to the occasion, saying, ‘I shall be calling them Smoke Dogs.”
Cain said, ‘If it isn’t already enough with you playing with them.…. now name them as well?” the men laughed, with Don Nathaniel replying confidently, saying, ‘be it as it may……but all creatures deserve to be named, don’t you agree?” Cain concluded, saying, ‘Fine…..then…”Smoke Dogs” it is……what’s next?’ Smoke birds?”Once again the men laughed. Don Nathaniel said nothing, and looked at the smoke dogs, fascinated at their appearance, he marvelled them.
These smoke dogs….were the size of Werewolves, but stood only on all four of their legs like shape shifters would; their fur was coloured in black, they had faces like humans, not similar…but a mutated type of face, with their very long, sharp teeth like hyenas, being also that the had smoke coming out of their mouths and nostrils. The men saw them as hideous creatures, but Don Nathaniel saw only their beauty.
-Whenever a Smoke dog would be in a fight, the smoke coming out of their mouths and nostrils, gave them the ability to become victor in a battle. It allowed the smoke dog to put its opponent to sleep with the smoke that came out of their bodies; then when the smoke dog notices its opponent is then unconscious due to the smoke, it would then begin to feed on its unconscious opponent, leaving nothing but a corpse. Their ears were long and pointy, hanging from the top part of the upper part of their ear, going straight down with a bend, touching the ground; you could compare it to a rope. -With the ears bending around the two front legs like two tails. They also had cat eyes, and whenever their mouths opened, the smoke would come out, even if they were only yawning, or breathing…. or talking, yes! Talking, smoke dogs could speak, but not English…or any other familiar language. They had their own language, a special and unknown language. They were not seen as mythical creatures, or any of the sort yet, but soon enough people would probably discover them, or perhaps not.
As staring at the smoke dogs, being fascinated by their very existence…..; the men heard strange noises, like strange bird sounds.
Cain said, ‘ You see Don Nathaniel….these are the horrors, we as vampires on this Island face with these fear birds; I do not know about your smoke dogs, but I do know a lot about these ‘Fearbirds’ .”
DON NATHANIEL: ‘Fearbirds?”
CAIN: ‘Yes….my brother, yes…I do not know from where they ascend, but they do come to feed, that is why we are so little….that is why…the more we are…the more they come, and they keep taking away our women.”
DON NATHANIEL: ‘Can’t you ask the witch Zithia to be rid of them?”
CAIN: ‘I assure you…we have tried everything, even Zithia…but she is but one witch.”
DON NATHANIEL: ‘So what is it they do exactly?”
CAIN: ’They eat anything that they find, anything with fear in it, if you have none….you are unharmed. There were only three Fearbirds, now they have amounted to almost twenty.”
Don Nathaniel said nothing. He looked at the smoke dogs, he walked up to them, but because they feared the Fearbirds…they were hesitant of everything and everyone.
Don Nathaniel did not give up; he was persistent, with the leader smoke dog. He wanted it to ride with him, so that they could defeat the Fearbirds.
-Fearbirds looked a bit like crows, only with red wings and their bodies were black, they had lion’s feet and their eyes were white, partially grey.
Don Nathaniel with much effort got the Smoke dog to be brave enough to assist him in facing the Fearbirds. And soon afterwards, Cain got himself a smoke dog and they defeated the Fearbirds. And although there were about thirty smoke dogs, only seven were brave enough. The other smoke dogs were still young. Yet they defeated the Fearbirds, and the rest of the Fearbirds flew off, not knowing if they would return or not, but they feared nothing anymore. They had the smoke dogs, to protect them.
When all was peaceful and no sight of the Fearbirds….Don Nathaniel and Cain, along with their men celebrated, and that night- before they would depart from Cain’s Island. Don Nathaniel and the witch Zithia had the chance to speak to one another, and at that instant….Zithia fell in love.
-Although Don Nathaniel had but a heart that adapted slowly……she had patience wit him. For that….he began to form a certain protective and caring feeling towards her, for she was beautiful, very beautiful…..and half the Island’s men wanted her, but she wanted only Don Nathaniel.
They had intercourse, and they made passionate love. Don Nathaniel loved her, but not as he wanted, for he loved three before her, hence she would not be compared to them, but in one night, he fell in love with her. And as he held her in his arms, he bit her, and bit his own arm, making her drink his blood, yet it had not an effect on her.
Morning came…
And Zithia woke up; found a letter, which stated:
My dearest Zithia...
It’s so unfortunate that I had to leave you so sudden. My only wish is that you’ll wait for my return. I had not found someone such as you; hence I am blessed with your magnificent beauty.
If whenever we do meet, I will marry you; yet do know…that I won’t abandon you. I promise.
With Love…Don Nathaniel
She felt a bit alone, but she knew he’d keep to his promise, therefore she humbled herself. But the anxiety, that she felt within her heart made her get up from her bed then she ran, not being fully dressed, yet exposing not any part of her body. And she ran towards the ship.
Meanwhile…
The men climbed aboard a ship, that Cain offered them, but seeing that he grew so fond of Don Nathaniel and his men, he would give the ship to Don Nathaniel, under one condition.
Don Nathaniel, carefully asked Cain what he wanted, and Cain said, he wanted Ivan. Don Nathaniel refused, but Ivan persuaded Don Nathaniel to take Cain up on his offer; Cain said he only wanted Ivan. Don Nathaniel thought long and hard about it, then in a flash of a minute…Ivan laid on the ship’s floor, bitten. Cain had a smile on his face; he shook the hand of Don Nathaniel, picked Ivan from the floor, placed him on his shoulder, and carried him back to the Island. As Cain walked, Zithia ran pass him, without shoes, her hair loosened, as where it is always tied, tears came rolling out of her eyes, with her running as fast as she could; the ship already heading to the sea. She jumped….grabbing hold where she could, and a hand grabbed hold of hers. To her surprise….it was the man she fell in love with…Don Nathaniel.
He pulled her over to the ship, and gave her his coat, that he let no other woman wore before- this was a sign of him showing how much he loved her.
The men were angry at her. Her actions made everything change; she broke their most obeyed law. No women on board the ship of sea men. Yet this led to a confrontation between some of the men. Don Nathaniel grew angry, and yelled at them to be silent.
Zithia and her future husband stood there on board the ship, while the men worked the ship.
The ship sailed to the coast of the Bahamas; Benedict Morgan navigating the ship, with Benjamin Gold ordering the men to work faster. The year was 5th September 1720; it was a harsh day on sea. The ship was big, and it could carry many people, especially since there were unwelcome guests on board. There were the smoke dogs on board.
-Now Smoke Dogs had a secret, a big secret that Don Nathaniel and his men did not know about; they changed into human their forms to run around and hide on board the ship.
As the Smoke dogs in their human forms hid behind the rum bottles stacked high….they was caught by Benjamin Gold. He stared at them, yet he looked not surprised, just shocked.
Shocked to find when they stared at him, he saw not beasts, but little children, teenagers…seventeen of them. He called Don Nathaniel, yet Don Nathaniel was happy; Zithia alongside Don Nathaniel, smiled at them. They spoke French; luckily Don Nathaniel knew how to speak French.
Don Nathaniel asked the eldest boy why they came on board the ship, and he explained to Don Nathaniel.
The boy then went on by saying,’ We wanted to see the world, many years ago, nearly twenty years back…we along with our parents, living peacefully there on another land, not on the land you found us. We were once a hundred, or nearly….and we were normal humans, but the virus killed our parents, they died instantly but we as the children were immune to the virus, or rather infection. It was not longer than two days, where we settled for land and we settled in Rome.”
‘What happened in Rome?” Don Nathaniel asked out of curiosity.
The boy went on by saying…. ‘In Rome we were, taken by Roman soldiers, made to be slaves and sold to an Arabian merchant, but we escaped from his grasp and we freed our other brothers and sisters who were sold to other Pagan, and Barbarians. So by the time we were all freed, we got on board a ship and we ended up on the Island where you found us.”











© 2015 Damian Vincent Henry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015


Author

Damian Vincent Henry
Damian Vincent Henry

Cape Town, Westen Province, South Africa



About
I was born in Cape Town, Westen Cape, South Africa. I live with my parents and two siblings. I got two dogs, well technically only one, but we adopted the other one. I am 23, and I strive to become th.. more..

Writing