Reminded

Reminded

A Poem by Dani California

 

 

 

I opened my eyes

The sun didn’t rise,

The birds had all lost their song;

 

The flowers were closed,

Only the thorns of the rose

Remained on a day gone wrong.

 

The squirrels were hiding,

The trees were all dying,

The grass laid flat on its side;

 

The wind was no longer,

The clouds didn’t wander,

The people stood still and cried.

 

I looked to the sky,

I asked God “But why?”

And this is what I heard:

 

"These gifts I sustain,

Yet still you complain,

So I’m reminding you of their worth."

© 2009 Dani California


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Holy! This absolutely amazing poem sent chills to me with that fantastic ending! It is a song, and as I was reading it, I felt like "Wow, if this ever happened, the world would go down" and then comes the last stanza and blew me away.

You have this lovely ability, to create songs in my head - and I'm not gonna sing them because.. well.. I'm not a singer :P But the tune blends a need to listen with a will to explore, and out comes a knock-on-my-butt moment. And it stays that way.

You create scenarios that makes us think also (I know you think I do with mine) and although we write differently, your way of doing it comes with a bang! "Oy you little winers! Try wining one more time, and lesse what happens" [smiles]

This is a beautiful poem of a reality we should think of daily. Think before speaking maybe, more so than anything. To find beauty in the things we take for granted - and to cherish what we have rather than miss what we don't. There is much experience in these words, and it goosebumps me to no end!

Thank you!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Brilliant!!!!! i am in awe the way you put it all in perspective! No matter how bad things can get in our lives ( or should i say how we percieve our life ) the appreciation of life itself is truly the most important!!! Thank You for sharing!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Let me start out by saying WOW. There is a certain musical quality in the flow of the poem. I found myself swaying from side to side as I read this piece. The last lines are very powerful. They make me appreciate even the most miniscule of things. A wonderful write my friend.

JS

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was AMAZING. I agree with Skye, it really created a song in my head. Great great job, very throught-invoking poem. Keep it up!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's so true. The gifts we have are the ones nature offers and they surround our lives with beauty and peace.

Appreciating what we have, making the best of a given situation.... It's difficult as hell sometimes although when I go sit by the water after a bad day, it does soothe my spirit, and when the wind brushes my face (or stings it to awaken me), I feel that sense of God - given freedom...to a certain extent...

I suppose 'why' will be a question that will always be asked....hmm... You think, Dani? I think I've become a pessimist. Your piece has me thinking. Thank you, my friend.

Beautifully thought out with words and rhyme strategically placed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really awesome imagery take on the idea that bad times make us appreciate the good times. The ending words you chose were perfect to relay your message. I was on the edge of my seat like.. ooo ooo ooo what is God gonna say? lol. (i.e. what words did she choose to tie it all together)

beautiful creation!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awww.....this I loved a lot. so wonderfully natural and poetic.... this is offering a real value. perfect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful lesson Dani wrapped up in beautiful poetic form...

so true many can't just appreciate what they have, always wanting more when the truth is the simplest things in life are the best.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Dani, you know that is true. And when it's all said and done, we will see how close the answers were to us. Life is precious and stands before us to an unusual extent, and we ask why does God does this and that�oh my how silly can we be. To defy the very essence that is before us since the world began. Not that God is telling us, but it's that we cared more about living longer and wealth then we cared about those things that are precious to our surrounding.
Well I could go on for hours but I must just remark this is an excellent write.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is excellent.

"I opened my eyes,
the sun didn't rise..."

Even the sun rising, how often do we take that for granted, yet nothing proves that it will rise tomorrow. Yet when something terrible does happen we do tend to then turn to God. "Why us? why now?". This poem is a good reminder of how we should continually thank Him for the things that would make us ask "Why God?" if they weren't there the next day.

Thank you for the read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another great write from this such incredible poet!
So much of humanity is worried about tomorrow and all of it's
problems that they miss the blessings of today!
Tomorrow has never been promised and there's no guarantee that it will come
for any of us! We should try to live our lives enjoying the present.
What if tomorrow never comes???
Stop and smell the roses along the way of life today!
Enjoy what we have infront of us while we can!
A great and brilliant write like always D!
Your brillance and sheer imagination out shines itself, poem by poem and day by day!
Like always keep writing from your soul,
for thr good of all souls!
You did with this brilliant poem!
Loved it!
TIM



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

779 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 22, 2009
Last Updated on March 22, 2009

Author

Dani California
Dani California

CA



About
A Noiseless Patient Spiderby Walt Whitman A noiseless patient spider, I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated, Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding, It launch'd fort.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..