Corruption

Corruption

A Chapter by Dark Batman

"Are they INSANE?!" Commissioner James Gordon shouted. "Releasing the Joker again."  The

Commissioner rested his head in his palms then let his fists slam into the desk he was sitting at, almost shaking his glasses off.

     "They can't do that!  They can't just up and release a criminally insane mind back onto our streets!"

Lieutenant Sarah Essen, Gordon’s second wife, was standing at the front of the desk.  She was just as worried about Joker but she was more worried about her husband at the moment.  She knew the Joker being back on the streets meant he would create an obsession with getting Joker back behind bars (or better, in a padded cell).

     "How did it happen?  I mean, how was Joker able to get out?"  Essen asked.

     "Corruption."  Gordon said.

 

     "Corruption", the Joker said out loud pacing in his empty apartment room.  There was only a small shabby bed and an even smaller desk sitting in the dusty room.  The only source of light was from a dim bulb in the middle of the ceiling. 

     "The same corruption that mindless bat fights for."

Joker knew that everyone else knew he was guilty.  So why was he released?  Simple corruption.  One powerful man can make all the difference for good or evil, depending on how he felt like spending the power.  Obviously there was such a man who knew who Joker was and knew he could get a nasty job, like killing a man, done.  That powerful man was able to get him out of Arkham through a series of loopholes, persuasion and influence.  All he had to do was accomplish a favor for that man in which he gladly accepted.  Kill a man.  Kill a man who meant nothing to him, but had meant a great deal to the savior who agreed to make him a free man.  The justice system is what put Joker away to begin with; it felt only fitting the justice system is what got him out.  Joker smiled at the thought.  He had killed the man with a knife that morning and just like that, the favor was complete and he was free.  Joker didn't particularly care why the man needed to be punished or why he was chosen to carry out the punishment, he had more pressing thoughts, thoughts about Batman.  Batman's sweet justice is what set Joker free again and it was Batman's sweet justice that was going to bring the bat to his knees and make him sink to Jokers level of game play.

 

     "Should we tell Batman?" Essen asked Gordon.

     "Batman?" 

Gordon stood and stepped toward the window and peered at the sky.  Dusk was

setting in and it made the mood that much more gloomy. 

     "If Batman doesn't already know, he will within the next twenty four hours.  Batman has his

resources.  We don't light the bat signal every time we see some form of trouble; we light it when we need the vigilante’s help."

     "Of course."  Essen said.  "But Jim, the Batman did helped us put Joker away last time...I...I guess I just thought we owed it to him to let him know."

     "We don't owe him anything."

     "It's just..."

     "Just nothing!  We are an organized police department.  We don't go cry to a masked man

     every time we see trouble."

Gordon appreciated Batman's help and would even admit there was a few times that the GCPD wouldn't have made it through if it wasn't for Batman.  But he still viewed Batman as a vigilante.  He wouldn't go cry to him just because the Joker was on the loose again.  Although, he admitted to himself, it wouldn't be long before they would be lighting the bat signal.

     "I'm sorry, you're right."  Essen Said.

     "Have maintenance check the bat signal...we need it ready for when the time comes."  Gordon said.  Essen smiled.

 

     "UGH!"  A gloved fist glided across the man’s jaw.  At that moment he knew he'd be eating his hamburgers through a straw for the upcoming weeks.  He fell on his back, the damp pavement felt cool.  He glanced up through wet foggy eyes to see the shadow take down another man.  He followed the dark creature to the right and saw him disarm a Lorcin .380 from the next man.  The caped goodie-two-shoes hit the man in the stomach then brought his knee up to make contact with the man’s nose.  The man fell.  All his men were down. Holding his jaw with one hand and a long knife in the other he started to get up again.

     "Get up."  He mumbled to himself.  "Don't wanna sit in a cell for the foreseeable future do ya."

He got up and saw Batman standing twenty feet away with the other men at his feet.  Some of the men were slowly stirring but none of them could muster enough strength to get up, let alone fight Batman.

     "Batman!"  He yelled.  "Not this time!"

He let go of his jaw and started for Batman.

     "Batman, your vigilante days are ov..."

Before he knew what happened a baterang smashed up against his head leaving him out cold.

     "Oracle."  Batman said, pressing the button for the small mic.

     "I'm here Batman."

     "It's done.  It was easy.  Be back soon"

Oracle could sense a hint of enthusiasm in Batman’s voice which wasn't heard often.  That pained her even more to have to tell him.

     "Wait, Batman.  There's something I've gotta tell you."

     "What?"

     "….Never mind, it can wait.  Just get back here soon."

 

     Batman walked in the small office that Oracle called her own.  It wasn't really that small but Batman's tastes preferred something a little larger and more spacious.  But Oracle liked it and Batman was pleased to let her have her own small space in the batcave.  She was, after all, a huge part of his operation.  If it wasn't for her Intel, he would be in the dark about much of what went on in Gotham city.  She had sources that he didn't have and time he didn't.  He missed the days when she was Batgirl, but ever since the Joker’s bullet had hit her spine and left her in a wheelchair she had to forsake the role as Batgirl and assume the role of Oracle.  Batman had to admit that her being Oracle helped keep him informed like never before but he would always despise Joker for doing what he did to her.  Batman didn’t think he resented Joker nearly as much as Commissioner James Gordon did with him being her father.  If only he knew how much of a help she was to him.  If only he knew all the good she had done as batgirl.  It was Barbara’s choice not to tell him, Batman would have understood if she chose differently.

     "Batman!  I'm glad you're back.  I've got some bad news."

Batman's face remained emotionless as he waited for her to continue.

     "He...he's back.  He's out again."

     "Who?"

     "The..."  She paused.  "The Joker."

Batman expected bad news but this wasn't bad news.  This was something much worse.  He put Joker away three years ago, how could he be back?  Oracle could sense tension in Batman's face.  Like he was almost....afraid.  Nonsense, Batman wasn't afraid of anything.  Not even the Joker could scare him....could he?

     "We'll find him and put him away as soon as possible."  He said in his normal emotionless

Batman tone.

     "That's just it, Batman.  He didn't escape.  We can't just find him and take him in to the

authorities.....He was set free.  He's a free man now, Batman."

Batman just kept looking straight ahead as Oracle explained it all to him.  After she finished Batman looked at her and told her to catch him on anything.  Anything they could use to lock him away again.

     "He's free now, Batman.  He's not a wanted man, do you think he might take advantage of it

and live like a normal person?"

     "No."

     "How are you so sure?"

     "Because it's not funny."



© 2011 Dark Batman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on September 16, 2011
Last Updated on September 16, 2011


Author

Dark Batman
Dark Batman

Memphis, TN



About
I write stuff more..

Writing
Back! Back!

A Chapter by Dark Batman