Among The People

Among The People

A Chapter by Dark Batman

"Jim." 

Commissioner Gordon whirled around almost dropping the bag of trash.  He knew that voice.

     "Batman, I've told you not to come to my house.  Can't you use the phone like any other human being?....that is if you ARE human."  Gordon snickered.  "Why do you always show up when I'm taking the trash out?  I'm going to start having my wife take it out."  Gordon let out a slight laugh.

There was a brief pause.

     "Gordon..."

     "I know.  I know why your here."  Gordon’s voice got serious with a hint of sadness.  "Joker's  

back."

Gordon suddenly felt bad about not wanting to contact Batman to let him know Joker was set free.  Batman was here now to warn him.  He knew Batman knew that being the commissioner of police he would know about it, yet here he was, wanting to warn him anyway.

     "I can't do a blasted thing about it, Batman.  He's beyond me.  But I promise you, as soon as

he makes his first wrong move he'll be back rotting in Arkham."

     "Good."  Batman said in a tone that sounded like he meant business.

It always amazed Gordon how much Batman could say by saying so little.  He kept his eyes on Batman so he couldn't try his disappearing act that he seemed so fond of using.

     "Tomorrow you'll find Smitties gang in a cell."  Batman said. 

     "It was only a matter of time."  Gordon said.  "You got them today?"

     "I apprehended them earlier.  I would have been here sooner otherwise."

Gordon now felt especially bad for not wanting to contact Batman.  There was a loud crash as a dish broke on the floor inside the house.  Gordon looked in that direction then looked back.  Batman was gone.
     "Blast!

 

     Joker walked out of his room and towards the front door.  When he passed the front desk the clerk took a few steps back.

     "Y..you...you're the J..Joker?"

     "Look much better with my get-up don't I?"  He said, grinning.  "Thanks for the room pal."

Joker started through the door but before he was completely through, he turned around.

     "Hey chum, I've been thinking.  This dump is a little uh..steep, what say you we knock off fifty percent on the price?"

     "Uh...sure.  That.....sounds fair.."

Joker continued out the door.  Gotham was his for the taking.  He was free.  He didn't escape, no, they let him go.  After all he had done they had to just let him go.

     "Justice."  He said.  "Justice is such a sweet concept."

As he walked down the street he noticed people turning around and walking away.  A woman screamed and picked up her child.  He was a free man but he still had his reputation.  That pleased him.  He kept walking.  He saw a child up ahead and he walked right up behind him and started laughing his spine chilling laugh as if evil itself resided within his vocal cords.  The boy jumped and ran off screaming.  That caused Joker to laugh even more.   But that was nothing compared to what happened next.   A police officer came by and asked what was wrong.

     "Not a thing officer."  Joker said innocently, still wearing a smile.

The officer walked away with a frown.  This, more than anything, pleased Joker.  He was in public, walking among the citizens, walking by police officers and he was free to do so!  But even this amusement could only last so long before his insane mind took him to other places.



© 2011 Dark Batman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on September 16, 2011
Last Updated on September 16, 2011


Author

Dark Batman
Dark Batman

Memphis, TN



About
I write stuff more..

Writing
Back! Back!

A Chapter by Dark Batman


Corruption Corruption

A Chapter by Dark Batman