New Arival

New Arival

A Chapter by Darkwolf
"

Set up to the story, name and some back ground of one charicter

"

It started out like any beautiful day. It was the ninth of June and the whole day the entire world was in an absolute panic. The ‘event’ as some called it started at two o’clock in the morning when a professor, some say he is paranoid and most say he is crazy, found a unique blip on his radar. His name was Doctor Richard Phestwal who created his fame in knowledge however then made himself a laughing stalk when he said that he was studying to find extraterrestrial life. He had the time to attend to his studies since no university or respectable laboratory (say for underground conspiracy theorists or alien hunters) would touch him with a ten foot pole. His fortune was used to buy all of his equipment which he had every state of the art technology along with older, and even obsolete equipment. What was interesting though was that an old World War II radar was the only machine that picked up the object. The government ruled out an asteroid automatically since they didn’t detect it until that morning so they assumed that it was a bomb of some sort and tried to find out who launched it. Yet there was no evidence of anyone  from anywhere launching anything, and every country was as baffled as they were. The world came together for twenty four hours to find out what the craft was, they eventually ruled out any type of bomb because it was too small to carry any sort of deadly outcomes. The scientific team that was analysing the object found that it was circling the earth but slowing down to, what they guessed, the planet’s orbit speed. They found out that they were right and then found that it was descending towards the earth’s surface. The team found out and pinpointed the destination of to where the UFC was going to land and thankfully in the middle of the Salt Lake where it is easily to cover up if necessary since they still did not completely know what they were dealing with.

The U.S. military was quickly deployed a safe distance from the landing site with a few teams of scientists to monitor what the craft’s speed, and if the craft was coming off course. The craft was not showing any signs of slowing down, however it was keeping a direct path and a maintaining speed. When the field units started to see the craft it was engulfed in an inferno, due to the friction layers of the planet’s atmosphere, like a brilliant star falling to earth in the night sky.

The army personnel got prepared for the earth to quake however the craft didn’t hit the ground as expected. When it was one kilometer above the ground the craft let out a blast of, for a lack of a better word, 'force' that automatically stopped the craft in mid-air and blasted a huge dust cloud that knocked down every one, some by fright and some by pure force. The craft, with the inferno extinguished, just fell the rest of the way only making a hole in the ground, only big enough so that it stood up and not the crater that everyone was expecting.

With the craft out of the sky the military, when they got their bearings, sent a team of scientist in hazmat suits to investigate that it was okay for human life to proceed. After an hour or so the team confirmed that it was all clear they sent a team of EODs to examine the craft to make sure it was not a bomb. Another two hours pass and they came back baffled and tried to explain to everyone that there was no creases or anything on the craft, well they kept calling it a “capsule”. When the army came to ground zero they figured out why.

A giant silver pill looking object was lodged into the ground. A hum was emanating from it like it was mechanical however if the EODs were right, it had no appearable seems. And no one was going to go near that thing, mostly because it was still smoking from it’s decent.

What the footsoldiers soon realized though was that when they tried to call their superiors back at the main camp their coms were not working. It was strange because there was not even static, just silence came out of the speaker. They sent one of the soldiers back to inform the rest and to say that nothing appears to be wrong with the immediate area, well except for a large craft protruding from the ground. With the information that it was all clear most of the army tour down some tents and rebuilt them in the immediate area of the craft, along with transporting their equipment and supplies. Meanwhile some of the scientists set up their equipment around the craft, however ran into the same problem that the first soldiers ran into, it wasn’t like the equipment wasn’t working but they just couldn’t be turned on for some reason. Unknown to everyone on the outside of the craft this was a defensive system; if the craft’s landing system experience an unplanned landing a pulse is exposed around the immediate area depending on the planet’s energy source.

It took about two hours to determine where the “dead zone” was and marked for other forces to see, they took three humvees with four soldiers in each. They first drove from the main camp toward the crash site and waited until the humvee stalled due to the mysterious, to be later discovered, circular area and it took so long  a half an hour to put up everything even though the technology was not responding at the time.

No one went near the capsule, the closest they got was about ten feet at least. Well can you really blame them? A giant pill shaped thing just fell out of the sky and no one has any idea if anything is inside it, you'd want to keep your distance too. With everything set up, including the housing, mess hall, range, etcetera, there is nothing left to do except sit down and wait.



© 2014 Darkwolf


Author's Note

Darkwolf
Comments are always welcome, if something doesn't make sence please bring it to my attention. Other than that enjoy

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting arrival type introduction. The accounting drew me into the usual questions like "Where did it come from? Is is friend or foe?" However, it is very narrative heavy. Even all the good imagery you are using doesn't offset the value that good ol' dialog could do for this story.
My advice, try rewriting everything you just 'told' with dialog only. Of course, for something published, that might be too dialog heavy, but it will give you practice in thinking events through from the point of view of characters instead of the narrator.
Then mix the two and you will have a winner.
By the way, let me know if you do post a dialog only version. I would love to read it!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
1 Review
Added on August 1, 2014
Last Updated on August 1, 2014
Tags: Science, Fiction, Science Fiction, Chapter One, Character, Human, Military


Author

Darkwolf
Darkwolf

long valley, NJ



About
Not really a hard core writer, I have a lot of ideas in my mind some I still work with since middle school however I find it difficult to sometimes get words from my brain to my fingertips then on to .. more..

Writing
Morning Morning

A Chapter by Darkwolf