Hunting Buffalo

Hunting Buffalo

A Chapter by Dave Brown
"

🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘

"


As last of New Day slipped below Horizon, 'Speaks to Moon' lit Campfire to light Night’s prairie.

There he sat alone accompanied only by his paint pony, ‘Gallops Swiftly.’

He had earlier told ‘Talks Quietly’ he would return after Moon had begun its journey and eventually, he heard a sound approaching.

It was ‘Coyote’ coming to lay alongside him by the warming fire.

‘Coyote’, the spirit of ‘Lives Free’, existed only in the spirit world.

His passing had taken him, east to the sandhills where he lived free of all worries.

Both he and ‘Gallops Swiftly’ touched noses in a familiar, welcoming hello.

 

Each full moon, Wanka Tonka allowed him to visit his son, using the spirit body of ‘Coyote’ as had happened with his father before and would happen again when ‘Speaks to Moon’ also travelled east.

This had happen for previous, endless generations.

The two joined minds and watched Fire’s flames flicker, much like light from Prairie’s Fireflies while prayer chanting before the upcoming Buffalo hunt.

 

Moon said farewell to Horizon just as last of Fire’s sparks flickered, then died.

With New Day’s approach, ‘Coyote’ rose and vanished back among Prairie’s grass.

From Prairies grass, sustenance would be passed on to Buffalo, who then passed it on to the tribes, ultimately using it for survival.

 

‘Lives Free’ offered a goodbye, leaving ‘Speaks to Moon’ and ‘Gallops Swiftly’ to wait for ‘Talks Quietly’ at their hunting camp.

With coming of New Day, they would hunt Buffalo.

 

 



© 2023 Dave Brown


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good poem. I felt i was confident to be brave after reading this. Keep it up

Posted 5 Months Ago


Dave Brown

5 Months Ago

Thanks Arundass
Saddle your pony and head for the prairie

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on November 17, 2023
Last Updated on November 20, 2023


Author

Dave Brown
Dave Brown

Nanaimo Vancouver Island, West coast, Canada



About
I'd like to thank those who have been kind enough to review my efforts. more..

Writing