Battle Mage Chapter 6

Battle Mage Chapter 6

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

Everything has a beginning. Witness the beginning of the great tragedy. Act 1 ends.

"

 

In a world, upon a time…

The two heroes looked upon the face of their foe. They had fought over the years, each encounter more epic and fantastical than the last. Now the time for the climactic fight was here.

She levitated like a possessed demon. She laughed even more evil than one.

Super Blade, a super hero of medival and fantastical designed did not budge an inch at this gruesome sight. To his right, was his companion The Great Hood, a wandering warrior who never lost a battle.

Blades clashed, fighting words were said, and in the end…

Jessica, a cute girl of about 9 years slammed Jules hard against the sand.

“Ow!” the brown hair kid responded.

“HOOOOD!” his friend yelled, in hopes of coming to the assistance of his fellow comrade.

Jessica just simply tilted her head up, her eyes menacingly almost going up inside her own head, and laughed, “hohohohoho” in such a strange fashion.

Jules knew of Jessica just as the short blond girl when in first grade. They first talked when they were in third grade, and started to actually play together in fourth.  Her biggest fault was that she seemed to enjoy beating her friends up and this is why Jules always played with her via a level of strange caution.

As he spit the dirt out of his mouth he remembered well his usual caution.

A small stick of a boy with clothes that never fit, and hair that was never arranged in any way short of insanity ran towards Jessica’s back and pretended to stab her. A notion of victory fell upon Jules.

“You think you have won? You have just…”

Jessica was stopped by the workings of her own brain. Her pride may have been hurt, as would make sense from a girl who lives off of her tomboyish natures. She didn’t finish the sentence, instead opted to backhand the figure going by the name Super Blade.

If Super Blade’s blades couldn’t work, then…isn’t she cheating?

Plus the heroes are always supposed to win! That’s how it goes!

Recess was going to be over soon, and yet again, Jules could feel somewhere in a loud voice, saying “Will the heroes be able to defeat the Evil Lady? Find out NEXT TIME!”

No, there will be no next time, no more to be continueds and definitely, no more being slammed face first into the dirt! He was going to make a stand now! Jules had to, or else what?

“Great Hood, Heeeelp meee!”

Poor kid was on the floor too. Although this was voluntarily versus the seemingly embarrassing Karate throw she pulled on him.

The Great Hood was not one to accept defeat. The Evil Lady’s reign of terror was now going to end by his hands. With Super Blade out of commission, it was time for the Great Hoods super move!

Jules didn’t know what this move would be, but he started yelling like he was gathering energy from every other super hero show he saw.

She turned around and saw it.

Jessica was too much adept into knowing how things worked in the universe of heroes and monsters. That was why these three got along so well.

In Jessica’s mind, she could see the stock footage playing, the move that no monster could ever un-explode from.

The Evil Lady charged an attack of her own. Dark forces and evil was gathering infront of her very eyes.

She was hoping recesss would end as soon as possible.

Super Blade looked on, “Your doing it, take her out!”

She just was really not in the mood of dying…yet again.

The two starred down each other and in Jules’s mind this ceased to be about heroes and villians and more of a duel at sunset with pistols, like in his Dad’s favorite Westerns that he had to watch a hundred times.

In this scene, right on cue, the tumbleweed rolled by between them. Jules tapped his imaginary hat.

The blond girl then readjusted her arms and changed her pitch. Stalling tactic, the bell had to ring soon!

Jules felt himself grab his imaginary six shooter and was set to point it at his rival.

 

“I think that’s why I like to root for the bad guys,” Jessica had told him when they first met. “The heroes always have a special finisher that works almost all the time, and the monsters can never block it. Meanwhile the monsters may have special moves, but they don’t have a random finisher they can just pull out of nowhere to defeat the heroes.”

Jules looked confused at Jessica as they sat in class talking about the latest episode of “Super Team Go!”.

“Yeah but that’s because the heroes always win!”

“No its because the heroes always randomly decide to end a fight, the monster, has no power. Lets just say the fight were to start, Super Team Alpha could fire their Spinning Sword and end it, in just the first five seconds. They have done that! Or if it’s a ground battle and no Giant Robots, they can just use their Super Team Kick. The monster, by existing, is the underdog!”

Jules was speechless. “You root for the underdog is what you are saying.”

“Well who says the heroes have to win all the time? Honestly, don’t you ever want a cool bad guy to come and just win?”

Jules thought about this moment as he was sick in bed, watching “Super Team Go!” by himself; his mother worked and his father was away on important business. He coughed and he hacked. But Super Team Go was on, he usually missed a good portion of every episode because of the school bus. Today was not going to be the case!

He found himself in love with the idea of being sick every day, as long as it didn’t drive him crazy, and watching marathons of his favorite shows.

Unfortunately with all channels, the good shows that provide hours of entertainment end, and a randomly crappy block of infomercials and in the case of Nickelodeon, children shows for kids not yet in kindergarden reign supreme.

It was like the ultimate kill of fun. Reminded him of a fun street filled with great shops, and realizing there is an ugly vacant parking lot and boring houses on the other side. A complete betrayal which had a nauseating existence.

But for some reason, perhaps because he didn’t feel like he could be bothered, or that nothing else was on, or that it was animated, he hugged his Dinosaur themed blanket and just cuddled in. He kinda felt like taking a nap, but was equally curious as to what that would feel like waking up in the afternoon knowing the day ceased to exist…especially only to be bored, again.

A happy go lucky show was getting on, time was seemingly becoming strangely meaningless. Jules found himself wishing to God that “Super Team Go!” would magically appear. Within five minutes of watching this trash, he realized that the main character, a child, was annoying the living heck out of him and he wanted to do mean things to this kid. This was not entertainment, this was a raising cause for wanting to commit and adult act of evil!

The child was around five, super excited about the world around him yet, on the double edged, selfish and extremely self absorbed. And the show seemed to just parade him as if…

Headache started kicking in. He thought he blacked out. Yes, he would have perfered if the older brother was the main character. The older brother lacked the “look at me, I am a kid!” attitude.

There was a knock at the door.

“Team Member Red! GO!” Jules yelled as he forced himself out of bed. He almost fell over but apparently, because something in him didn’t want to die, he started to stand strait as an arrow.

Jules opened the door, the fatigue of the morning’s fever had not yet passed and Jules wanted to go back to laying down, however infront of him was his friend from school.

“You are alive Great Hood!” The friend saluted.

“Super Blade? What brings you here?” Jules asked confused. Infront of him the scrawny kid, whose clothes never fit, moved aside his own hair so his green eyes could become visable.

“I am here to save you!”

“From what?”

“Can I come in?”

Jules thought for a second, “I am sick, you should…”

His friend put on a doctor’s mask and gloves. Jules just started laughing only to say, “Ow my sides.”

As Jules sat down on his bed, the scrawny kid took out a set of VHS’s. “My own private collection. Four hours of episodes! Want to watch one before I go?”

“I can’t have guests over. I am sorry.”

“It’s okay Great Hood! I just figured since you are walking distance and you haven’t been in school I could get away with giving you that and…”

The scrawny kid dug into his pocket, looking for whatever he was looking for, when he found it he smiled and then took it out.

It was a deluxe figure of The Great Hood, a super hero movie that Jules fell in love with as a child. Jules knew his friend had the greatest toy collection in the world, and now…

“It’s yours until you feel better.”

“Thanks.” Jules told the scrawny kid, not ready to tell him, that he was his best friend.

 

They met the year before in second grade. They had everything in common and could take for hours about the dumbest things anyone could ever think of. It was a gift, if Jules ever had a brother, it would be his newest friend.

They watched television together, gossiped about the latest shows and wondered just which of the dime a dozen shows they watched, each more of a copy of the other, was the best. It seemed to change from week to week, but that was okay.

They often played together, summoning monsters or reenacting their favorite movies on the playground. Time went on, friends came and went but they were seemingly inseperable.

Jules often took the bus while his friend always seemed to disappear. One day, Jules’ mom told him that she would be picking him up to take him to the movies, and he found out like himself, he also was picked up by his parents on a daily basis.

On the final day of fourth grade, they just sat at the curb, waiting for their parents.

The scrawny kid was talking about his plans for summer mostly involving summer camp, which was a waste of time in both of their opinions.

Jules responded, “I think Laurence tricked my mom into taking me with him and his family on a vacation to some place in Canada. Go figure right?”

“That sounds sad.”

“Not as sad as summer camp.”

“Laurence? Doesn’t Laurence have the Nintendo system?”

“Yeah but we wont be bringing that along,” Jules responded with a sigh of disapointment.

“I feel sorry for you parents.”

“They can afford one, I just don’t get as spoiled as you do!”

“I am not spoiled!” The scrawny kids was acting wound up.

“Relax Super Blade.” Jules began laughing.

In the distance, a set of bikes were being ridden. Jules recognized them, not the kind of kids he would have liked. Wannabe skaters and weirdos. Although looking back at his friend, the two of them were definitely weirdos as well, just the better kind of variety. 

The kid next to him cursed though, “They always are there.”

“They like their bikes, so what?”

As they looked up, the sun looked like it was soon to set. Jules began getting impatient for his mom to come so summer could start. He also saw that his friend was getting impatient too.

“They will get here,” Jules decided to reassure him.

His friend wasn’t hearing any of that. He just began to look worried. Jules did his best not to think about it. Summer was here but they were trapped at this damned establishment.

“Want to come to my house later?”

“Of course, I will call you when I can!” Jules saw a familiar car in the distance. He was so happy he didn’t notice the kids on the bikes were continuing their circling of the property.

His friend let out a strange sigh, like he was sad.

Jules picked up his backpack, and a years worth of junk in there and was getting ready to go when these thin vice like fingers gripped his arm.

“Please, can you wait until my parents pick me up?”

Jules smiled, “I got to go. But I will call you!”

Instantly they separated and as he stood there while Jules got into the car, he was almost soon to be alone.

“Wait mom, I have to say goodbye to my friend.” Jules’s mother nodded, and Jules turned around.

His friend chased after him, “Goodbye Jules! Have a fun summer.”

Juless looked the scrawny kid, with clothes that didn’t fit, hair that was not styled in any fashion, in his green eyes and responded, “Goodbye Timothy!”

 



© 2014 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
Honestly feel free to be brutal just know that this is part of a five chapter story that will be littered through the main story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
Added on January 21, 2014
Last Updated on January 21, 2014
Tags: Battle Mage, Flashback, Urban Fantasy


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez