Battle Mage chapter 15

Battle Mage chapter 15

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

The Raid on the Museum commences. What starts off as a trial by fire for two apprentices turns deadly.

"

The building was thought to be devoid of life except two souls. They were apprentices of magic and swords. The museum had been built to be their first battlefield.

The woman was garbed in a white light. When overlooking the brilliance, her armor was sharp edged with long rounded metallic segments covering her. Her chestplate was really two pieces that almost touched at her center mass. The shoulder protectors were broad and went over all other features. Beneath her shoulder armaments was a  padding that looked to be leather sleavs that were stopped at her elbows. Her elbows down to her fingers were protected by the same metallic substance that formed long slender guantlets that had enough breaks to make her hands and wrists move with the most ease.

It was an armor embedded with the element of light, said to be a weakness of demons. The choice of the openings in her armor as well as having key parts covered and the rest not was to give her full mobility. She could run, and with her increased abilities, wear it no different than a shirt. The gantlets added an extra muscle to her skills. The fingers were sharp, she could claw if she had to.

The male was designed with the element of light in his armor as well. It shown less brilliant but made up for it in sharp edges and spikes. Two semi large blades seem to poke out from his elbows. His shoulders were fully covered by a metal substance that looked more like a white plastic than a glowing metal. The spikes on his shoulders reflected the same design on his heavily armored knees and legs.

He based his design more on the ability to withstand any attack and to have the enemy crumble under any form of offense he might give; be it physical strength, brawling, or grappling.

She had with her a staff that seemed at first to have no distinctive feature of its own. Upon closer inspection one could notice that staff had a small blade running up and down the left side, no longer in width from the base than a scalpel. Hidden inside was a spring that could give the weilder the ability to change its length and retract at a moments notice. The rest of the inside was hollow allowing for maximum speed and maneuverability without relying on weight. Fast, blunt, adaptive, and sharp.  

His weapon was simply a long giant sword of doom. It looked like a medival claymore but he held it like one would handle a dagger by the bottom of the hilt top. It curved at its handle so he could switch style as well as work the swing from one way, to another. It was designed for overkill in strength and reach. It almost begged its would be rival to block it, then crush them in half by the force alone.

The two warriors moved on.

 

Luke listened forebodingly as their feet clicked with the floor in the empty exhibit room. He wondered if the demon could hear them coming. He also began to thank the stars that there were no guards present. He looked at an art exhibit of metallic sculptures of real knights. Not like the wannabe gear he had designed and summoned up to this point, but medieval armor made by real craftsmen. He heard that if someone actually physically crafted their own gear, that the energy that went into its development would manifest itself in its abilities to hold back magic and physical attacks.

“Man Kills Beast” was the name of a knight brandishing a sword that took down a dragon. He looked to his left as Lucy was standing admiring the work. Luke just looked at the replica of a blade and wondered what extra power he could have if a swordsmith made his weapon instead of him spending hours learning how to channel components together and manipulate them with his own will. Luke lingered on the thought as he felt the weight of his “Smash Machine” almost want to give some extra gravity.

“It’s beautiful, right?” Luke asked Lucy. He saw by her expression that he had caught her paying attention to him looking at the sculpture of the knight and the dragon.

“Lacks symmetry. I get that they didn’t have the advances of computer and advanced math back in the day, but the sword hilts, the eyes, even bits of his armor just don’t properly measure to their counterparts. An untrained eye could see this and yet the sculptor willingly chose to ignore this.”

“Symmertry, that is all that bugs you?

“I do art for a living. I am literally paid to make one side look exactly like the other and ten years from now, no one is going to be holding onto any of my designs except for in a concept art book should said movie studio decide to release it in an obscure bookstore in a single shelf titled ‘film’. The amount of metal this man had to put into his work, I would say cost more than a pretty coin.”

Luke shrugged one of his shoulders then began to read the plaque. “In honor of the King…”, He looked shocked then admitted, “You are right. He was commissioned by the King of Spain for this piece.”

“Even worse that it’s a commission, sloppy work.”

Luke tisked at himself. He couldn’t win for even trying. Not even a little.

The sculptures went from knights, to abstract metal works of art. They passed into the second room, closer to the main hub which would lead to a staircase leading them upstairs. Upstairs would lead them to Renesaince art. From there they would find the German art collection in which the demon was said to hide in.

The abstract art was shocking to say the least. The room was open with large white walls and floors. The asthetic as far as Luke could tell was made to magnify the curios designs grabbing focus. He could swear that some of the misshapen liquid looking figures were moving but when he stopped he realized that was merely an optical illusion. The works seemed to “ooze” by design. It hurt his brain to see one piece next to a sharp angled or square work with solid edges.

“But how does it make you feel?” Lucy laughed at Luke. It was as if she could sense his confusion and the exhibits grabbing onto his focus as he tried to understand a piece but his perspective of it continued to change based on every factor he found himself comparing and analyzing. Was said piece designed to be phallic? Was the creator having a good laugh knowing that this was how people were going to question said work and then he could claim they were letting their Freud out?

“Abstract art, eh?” Luke tried to laugh it off.

“I see you most attention to the penis-y ones. The tougher and jarring ones don’t seem to interest you.” She then let out a cute giggle. It was one of the first times he heard her giggle and the first she was sharing it with him.

The center of the room was two white pillars that stretched a bit higher than they could give the room credit for.

The ones that really disturbed Luke most was the hanging ones. Be them from the wall or the ceiling. If it was taller than him, he did not approve.

“I mean why?” He bluntly asked, gesturing to the room as a whole.

“Pardon?” She looked back confused.

“You call yourself an artist, cant stand lack of symmetry, what say you on this…whatever?” He again gestured the room unable to describe what he was really trying to focus on.”

“Oh, I am a big fan of abstracts.”

The statement took Luke a couple of seconds to process correctly. “Wait, you like this stuff?”

“Not much into the sculptures per say, but the way this room is set up you can be certain someone took great pain to make this room exactly the way it is. Each piece is attempting to stir relations with the others. The room itself is therefore the abstract work, with each piece in placement being a stroke of the brush.”

“But you like abstract?”

“Its organic and begs originality. Anyone can draw a person Luke. You, can draw a person. But if you were to pour your abstract out, that would be something that could come only from your soul, not anyone elses.”

 The steps they made led them to a small doorway and from there, the expanse of the central room. It was massive. Designed clearly for holding several hundred people in a worst case scenario. To their right, a few decent paces and change was the front door. It was locked obviously with shaded glass that could meet the rising and setting sun.

Luke could still somewhat see outside but it had a haze to it that made the outside seem like a different plane of existence.

He noticed there were four openings to other exhibit rooms on the bottom floor, they just came from the one nearest the door. Part of him wondered if he could just spend the rest of the day touring with Lucy and getting to actually know her, and not just see her as Jules’s pupil. The center of the room held half a wall and infront of it was a desk with the glowing lights of many moniters. It felt strange that no one was here but the two of them.

A look around and he finally found the stairs. The two of them did not talk until they began their ascent closer and closer to the second floor.

“You know, honestly, I feel kind of silly dressed like this,” Luke joked.

“I would give it time to think on, but if I am worried how I look to a stranger, that might just give me pause when fighting.”

“So, if the demon comes out of its domain…” Luke began.

“Depending on how long it has been there, I would say there is a chance it might be weakened if we rip it out. Or we destroy the painting before it can move.”

“I still don’t understand this domain stuff, Lucy.”

“Well, essentially it is where a demon lives to conserve its power in our world. They can either leave their domain and if they are attached to it for along time, it is hard for them to survive long outside of it.” She continued as she got distracted by her train of thought. “I mean they could survive but a demon that lives outside would have itself exposed. They therefore like to keep a low profile.”

“So, we get to see a succubus tonight?”

“Most likely. Just don’t fall for its charms.”

Luke hid a faint laugh, “I am pretty selective about my girls.”

“You are a man. No you aren’t.” She shook her head and proceded ahead of him. She then added, “AND STOP LOOKING AT MY A*S!”

Ironicly in this particular situation, he wasn’t. Luke was beginning to internalize the thought that he was about to see a demon up close. He was working his thoughts about everything he read about succubi. Mid level demons, like to seduce men. They base their strengths on deception. For that reason, Carlos, his mentor, had been teaching him to be able to focus through illusion spells and charms.

He then went over the other horrifying thought. He would have to kill something. Not something he really paid much attention to until this moment. The sword he was gripping would end the life of something else. And that would happen moments from now. The sensation of resistance, an object fighting to stay on this plane as he would will its end and slowly feel it crush to nothingness, a shell. Could he do it? That was the question he wanted to ask himself but he remembered well that Carlos said, “When the time comes, when you see it, it will be more than easy. It will be instinct and natural preservation.”

 

The best description he could give this situation was he was being led by the hand by another girl to lose their virginity at a party. The world outside. The experience would be life altering and shared only by them. Except this wasn’t stimulating for him. All he got out of this was a louder, racing heartbeat.

The air began to make a swishing sound as Luke hung back far enough to start swinging his blade in a way that meditated him. His mind was shocked how easy this was to weild and just had to make sure he didn’t accidently hit the girl infront of him. She just gave him a passing look back. Down below the exit to the museum was getting further and further away. The wing they were at was starting to become a lot of subrooms.

It was confusing at first. All the doors and rooms on the second story. At this point, he didn’t want to admit it, he was relying on Lucy’s knowledge of the map for them to get to where they were going. She stopped. The opening was to their right. It was a rope with a sign that said German 18th Century.

Luke put his hand up front to stop her from entering first. “Pretty specific, right? I mean what is exactly an 18th Century from Germany doing here?”

“It is being exhibited, duh.”

“This is going to be one time I am not going to let the lady go first.”

They moved the rope and moved on towards their confrontation with what they believed was a demon sleeping in a painting.

 

Two figures dressed in armor and divine light walked silently through the room. Though they would have liked to talk of many things, they had one purpose. The art around them watched. The eyes of many portraits followed with interest. The air was growing thick and the demon they sought was radiating its presence. It was awake and it knew they had come for him.

 

Luke and Lucy, armed, stood in front of a portrait of a beautiful lady.

“So, you think the legend is true?” Lucy asked.

The lady is the portrait was smiling at them. The moment they had been pondering about was finally here and all reservations they had were out the door. The danger in the room was clear as day. Lucy was the first to sense the demonic aura. It was concentrated but she wasn’t sure how strong it was.

“So, we just stab this piece of s**t and go home?” Luke joked.

A figure laughed behind them.

Luke turned around and drew out his Smash Machine and pointed it longwise to the figure walking towards them.

“I so do love this room,” The eerie gentlemen said. “All this beauty, by the greatest people ever assembled during one era. It has come here. I brought it here after all.”

“What are you talking about?” Luke asked.

“The Lady. She and many of these works are on loan from the university. I set up this project of ours.” The gentlemen walked towards the glowing aura and Luke could make him out. He was elderly, balding hair. The older man had a pale complexion and sunken eyes that seemed like stress had eaten away at him. His teeth however were perfect. A balding, waning man, who takes care of his teeth, didn’t make sense. Unless…

“The succubus. How long have you been in contact with it?”

“I have no entity I worship other than her.” The man pointed to the painting. The painting continued to respond with the lady’s smile. He continued, “Joseph Liebert, truly was the best of his time. And this work was his crowning achievement.”

“Is it true? Does the painting feed off of blood?”

“Only when those lips go pale. The lady must be made happy. And I see you brought someone to help with that.” Professor Brown licked his lips as he glanced on Lucy’s features. “It has been awhile since she was made whole again. Although I am not sure the Lady would approve of some harlot.”

Luke clenched the hilt and spat, “Do not insult her like that.”

“I don’t mind.” Lucy said out of the corner, she still seemingly watching the painting.

“It is a demon you have been taken in by. We must destroy it.”

Professor Brown laughed. “I do not think that you can do that. I mean who can truly destroy such a work of art. Right?”

A new voice, horrifying in design emerged from behind the professor. It gargled its consenents and yet had a seductively beautiful undertone. “That is right Professor Brown. Only you can be allowed to love me. You are my protector and these barbarians cannot be allowed to harm my image.”

That was when Luke saw his first demon.

The first thing that was apparent was her pale silver face. No hair or eyebrows but every feature was smooth as silk. Her nose was small and slightly upturned. Her lips a vivid red and soft. The way her chin faded directly into the rest of her head, it appeared to be sharp pointed. The rest of her head, from her cheeks back was black as if made of coal. The rest of her skin glistened like fresh black paint. Her skin itself, was not much human, rather it hooked and curved in and out of itself in the way wild vines would. Her body curves made the entire look appear to be a sexy cosplay, highlighting every single asset a healthy alpha female would have. The center attraction was a diamond shape patch of silver flesh that gave her a belly button before it would fade back under her wood skin.

They had all been a myth until this point. She pointed at him playfully with her long nails that ended in fine needle fashion. Her horns were the final give away that she was something from the other side.

“Sorry, but with you out of your domain, you are weak. You have no power over us.” Luke yelled with confidence.

“Oh, I am sorry, do you want me to go away my handsome man?”

She turned around almost flaunting her backside.

“You are an ugly cow and you have no power here.” Lucy said, again not turning around from the painting.

“Are you going to let them talk to me like that?” The Succubus smiled while whispering these words into Professor Brown’s ear.

“Lucy, destroy the painting. It will weaken her. And then I will kill her.” Luke couldn’t help but feel how horrible it would be to kill something with a smile like hers and a face like hers. Would her last moments be that of fear? Would she die scared?

“I can’t move.” Lucy responded bluntly.

“What?” Luke surprisingly asked

“I am still sensing a demonic aura from the painting.”

A new laugh emerged. This one more horrifying than anything either of the heroes had heard before. “You poor children. You thought I live in the painting?” It then cracked up as if it was the funniest joke in the world. The laughter went on and was not stopping. Luke felt his bones chill to the point he wanted the torment to end.

Each moment of sound heart Lucy’s ears. The presence was too much for her. Her vision was wanting to blur. Her heart was wanting to leave its body and run. She couldn’t hear or sense her surroundings. Was Luke still back there?

 

Anna and Carlos were sharing a joke about something. Jessica was staring off into the building wondering how the two younger battle mages were doing. A loud screeching sound was heard down the street. The driver going way over the speed limit and running through red lights like it was opposite day. Laurence fiddled with his hair and gave what he believed a drunk driver no further thought.

The car stopped. It was a taxi.

A familiar voice was heard by all. “You gave me a free lift.” It was the power of suggestion.

They all turned their heads at once to see Jules as he busted open the door without pause.

Carlos approached him. “Jules. What are you doing?”

“We have to stop this before it…” Jules saw Luke and Lucy were not among the group.

Laurence gave his friend a pat on the back. “What is wrong bud?”

“The Demon. It isn’t a succubus like we thought.”

There was a collective pause.

“What do you mean Jules?”

“It is a Succor. An Archdemon. The painting isn’t the demons Domain, it IS the demon. The Museum itself is the domain. We just sent two novices…”

Jessica didn’t wait for Jules to finish his sentence. She had broken in the window and jumped in.

Anna yelled after her, “Wait! You are too weak to go in alone.”

Carlos stood beside himself. He didn’t know what to do. Jules did not wait for him to find an answer, he simply said, “I am going to save them.”

“In your condition? Lawrence responded. The two of them went in together. Anna held Carlos back from joining when he made up his mind.

“Why are you holding me back?”

“Its his lair now. They need someone on the outside to anchor their energy to. If we both go in, it will be the blind leading the blind. Have faith in our friends.” The truth Anna didn’t say, was she didn’t want to risk him dying.  

 

Inside, the battle had begun immediately. The three battle mage veterans; Jules in his wounded state, Laurence, and Jessica found themselves in completely different rooms. Upstairs Luke and Lucy found themselves splitting up as a simple moment apart lead them to different parts of the museum. The walls would change. Creatures would strike from every angle. The sculputures were alive and searching for action. The ancient knight armors would walk with nothing in them.

It was a retreat, not a battle. They needed to escape. Lucy was on the floor as a room full of succubi laughed over her but their master was no where to be found. Next to her was the dead body of Proffesor Brown as small minions of no names were feasting on him. Her mouth was wide open.

She swung fast enough and with precision that the blade of her staff cut through the ones nearing her. One of the succubi ran towards her screaming for her death. Lucy flicked the pole forward and it stretched far enough to impale the creature and then retract. The light of the weapon made the succubus foam for a second while a white light seemed to envelop its insides.

For Jules, she would not die here. This she decided as she let her staff swing and unleash hell on the demons. Every one of the damned things was her enemy and she grabbed one by the wrist, gripped to the point of breaking the foes forearm, and decapitated her foe with ease.

The other two succubi looked at her, each other, than smiled.

Lucy felt her left hand charge up and flew forth bolts of lightning that made them scream. She killed the one on the right by snapping its neck via the force of the staff. The other however had recovered and tackled her.

She fell on the floor as the demon was on top of her yelling in her face. Lucy could feel the claws try to break through the armor. She let go of her staff and place her hand gently on the creatures face. She imagined the coffee trick she pulled on her coworker and went one step further. The screaming of anger turned into pain and horror as the succubus’s face slowly was enveloped by ice. It became frozen and then, it stopped struggling.

The frozen face collapsed when Lucy unleashed her full force, throwing the dead husk into a nearby wall.

Meawnhile.

Luke covered in demon blood finally found Lucy. Before he could reach out to her he heard Succor’s voice. “You can die with your friends. Or you can leave.”

Luke looked and noticed no one was behind him. However the wall that was once in the back of the room, slowly morphed into an exit.

“You can leave now. We just want the girl.”

Luke wanted to move towards Lucy. However…

He remembered the demons swarming on him. Minions about three feet tall with evil child like Halloween faces. He remembred the room with the bleeding walls. He remembered spending what felt like fifteen minutes going through the same room over and over in a never ending cycle. Luke also remembered battling the armored knights and feeling the gaze of being watched.

The voice in his head told him, he was going to die in a matter of minutes from this point if he was lucky. That was if he stayed. The thing that horrified Luke the most, it was the voice of his own fear and logic, not the demons.

He could try and fight along side this girl he barely knew. He could die a hero in no ones eyes. He could try and make Carlos proud.

But he didn’t care. He would rather live.

Lucy saw Luke walk away towards the exit.

“Wait for me” She yelled.

She saw him not stop, not for a moment.

He kicked open the door and ran as she saw the outside world through a small hole in the wall. She called out for him one more time. Then the door disappeared and became a wall again. He had abandoned her. She was trapped.

Lucy turned around and realized she was alone. She was going to die. 



© 2016 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
Tell me if it is a bit jumpy at the final segments.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on September 8, 2016
Last Updated on September 8, 2016
Tags: Battle Mage, Urban Fantasy, demons, action, adventure


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez