Chapter Zero: Rebirth

Chapter Zero: Rebirth

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

In the world of Vampire Nation, a fantasy land filled with Vampires, zombies, gargoyles, werewolves, witches and humans, a new story emerges in the country of Blud.

"

A forward in which describes the world; Blud is an island unto itself in culture and technicalities. It is commonly believed that the island is where all life and civilization started, the vampires being descended from the gods themselves. Many would die and suffer for this.

---

 

The two vampires fought to the death as was commanded by their ancestors. The moon was full; the night was rich giving them their peak performance. The fight took place behind the tent wing of the royal palace. The weather was of a mild chill and fog belched from their breaths.

 

Sword against sword, stroke against air. The blades locked here, swipes were avoided there.

 

The two were named Garo and Gecko. The age difference between the two had allowed them to be peers in all facets of life, with Garo outliving Gecko by lunar months. The scythe curve blades clashed and tangled. Melee training came in as Gecko was able to unseat his elder with a sharp kick. Once on the floor, Garo span himself in circles trying get up. It was his fists that allowed him to knock his opponent into an open situation.

 

With a final elbow, Gecko was off balanced but standing, no means of retreat and Garo cursed himself as he committed the worst act in his life, fratricide.

 

“Farewell brother.”

 

The witch Annya then spoke, “The line of succession has been decided!”

 

Gecko with final congratulations nodded to his elder brother then let his soul leave his body. He was dead, going cold quick and Garo cursed his own resolve for not letting him win. Two hooded figures in red garb came quickly and lifted the fallen one on a band.

 

Garo fell to the cold floor on one knee. The icy fog that came from his breath was his only reward. It proved he was alive. Annya then gave him his cue, “I will give you time to collect your thoughts.”

 

“Just one thing, take care of him well. He is my brother after all.”

 

She nodded to him, “He will be buried with honors.”

 

The wind grew cold again; the beautiful moon with all her glory no longer gave him strength.

 

“Are you still here with me? Or have you abandoned this world for the afterlife already? Forgive me brother; I always hoped it would be you who would succeed.” He then gave a final prayer for the passage of his soul to be properly collected. The world for the first time was beginning to feel lonely.

 

He was reminded of simpler times, when him and his brother would snoop around the palace grounds and often be shoed off by everyone, from the lowly werewolf servants, the gargoyles, to the witches who would come and go. The world was never a lonely place, just one big mystery up till this point. Now it was a cruel mystery with no one to guide him through the maze.

 

Garo stood up. Head up high, he told himself. Stay alive, and stay invincible, no one could harm him now. He threw his armor to the floor, and was left with just his pants and the sword. This cold pain, don’t fear it; there is no such thing as pleasant and unpleasant.

 

He didn’t believe his mind mentality. He didn’t believe his grandfather did either now looking back when he was one of three sons. Time and time again there were stories of sacrifice and how that made one stronger, steel like, invincible. The cold wind, a shiver crawling up his spine that was winning, that was not the invincibility he imagined. Perhaps they too had been told the same thing he was told, until all his ancestors did was simply repeat and pretend. No, he was the same Garo he was minutes ago, only lonely, with a piece of his life gone.

 

It was boring being cold, he decided to head inside the tent where Annya was waiting for him to enter.

           

Each step was a life changing length. He saw his destination and found himself carrying each leg in front of the other as if on a military march. His birthright was in that tent, a tunnel seemed to appear and at the end of the dark hall was that witch garbed in blood red and the tent with some light in the inside.

 

“I have been waiting for you.” It was like an omen. “Are you ready?” He could have claimed not, but he nodded. She smiled, “Then I pledge my loyalty to you my master.”

She bowed to him, then followed him in as his arm brisked aside the curtains. Garo was no longer a Noble ranked, he had become a Warlord.

 

Two vampires holding spears at the door stood aside and welcomed him in. Garo simply nodded and walked by them. Annya followed him in tow, as soon as she passed, they too pulled in file. The nonexistent clan that had died with his ancestor was being reborn with each passing second.

 

There was a final room, the main base of the tent. One of the lower ranked vampire vassals opened the door for their superior. Garo pretended it was his own will that forced the doors open, his very presence. The final door was opened and closed behind him.

 

Annya had taken out a scroll and began reciting the clan doctrine.

 

“So on the fourth full moon since the late lord passed, it has been determined that one heir shall inherit the name of Lord Dark, leader of the Dark Clan, the direct descendant from the Goddess of War, Darkness herself. Master Garo, do you accept the mantle that has been passed on for generations since The First and all those after?”

 

Garo nodded, “I do accept.”

 

Annya continued, “Do you embrace the shadows and shun the light?”

 

“I do.”

 

Annya then stated formally, “the ritual of unification has been completed. Garo, on the fourth full moon has destroyed any and all other candidates as dictated in the code. The final duel was overseen by Annya of the Black Order, made official as of this moment.”

 

Garo felt a knot in his stomach. It was a cruel code that required an uncontested ascension. Should there be more than one available living heir, for the sake of preventing power struggles and all out wars, a duel must be waged until there is one living noble. If things were different, no doubt Gecko would be the one mourning his own leadership role. It also allows the claim that anyone who could kill those close to them could make the hard decisions without pause. A ruthless leader.

 

The witch stood in front of his new vassals, his personal army. He watched her drone on and on. He needed to get his head in the political game.

 

“As of now, the Dark Clan, true victors of The First War, has to set policy. As of now, we are, and have been, at war with the Wraith Faction, descended from the God of War himself Wraith, who used his guile to trick the Goddess Darkness into obeying his whim in a bid to rule.

She stopped talking and looked to Garo. “Do you have any questions my lord?”

 

“None at the moment.”

 

Annya smiled, and whispered, “I will go over the specifics in your new personal quarters tonight, now at this point the lord, you, say ‘If there be any other business, I shall now call this meeting to a close.”

 

Garo’s eyes lit like fire and he said in a highly comfortable manor, “If there be any other business, I shall now call this meeting to a close!” Annya clapped her hands together, as did the 13 Gargoyle vassals, and four fellow vampires. They sat on their knees and bowed instantly.

 

He did not know what he had done to command this respect from such strangers, though he did recognize two gargoyles who served as personal bodyguards for his dad, and one of the vampires. Blood ran from his lip as he bit it. Now he remembered what he had done. On cue Annya’s voice rang from in his head, “He would be proud of you.”

 

Would Gecko be proud of his slayer?

A vampire went in, whether it was his own messenger or another's he did not know, however he saw him go to Annya and whisper something in her ear.

"My Lord, we have more pressing matters at the moment. Apparently the High Above would like to personally congratulate you on your ascent. This is a good sign that he would want to see you so quickly.”

 

A vampire vassal, Lord Braken bowed in, “I believe we must not keep him waiting my lord.” The rest was a blur in the next few moments. Garo remembered little, except how the legions of Gargoyles walked rank and file and that a noble horse was prepared that he was told to ride on; flanking him was Annya on a dark steed of her own design.

 

It would be a trick to describe her hellion of a horse. Its eyes were red and seemed to ooze, the cold made the critter belch fog, but this fog was black. If he had not been born a warrior, he would be in fear of this magnificent beast. He imagined how this avatar of a fallen god could kill with its own mettle and not with the skill of its rider.

 

In a sharp turn, it stared back at him. It seemed to talk to him. A conversation was playing in his head. In this fake back and forth, the creature seemed to be more afraid of Garo than he of it. Garo drank from this thought and took him mind to a more evil place, fighting the evil aura of the beast with his own. When he looked at it in the eye with the most brutal thing he could think of, him eating its flesh and laughing, the beast seemed to turn its gaze and let out almost a cowardly yelp.

 

“Be kind to her my lord!” Annya scolded him.

 

“I was just admiring her beauty. What pedigree is she?”

 

“You were bullying her, my Lord. You must intimidate her.”

 

“I am sorry.”

 

“Don’t be sorry, only one other has ever caused her to as much as blink in her gaze.”

 

“My father?”

 

“Lord High General.”

 

The Lord High General is the military ruler of Blud. The High Above is the code word for Emperor descended from the Gods. While the Emperor was said to be young, he was known for being wise. That however has not stopped the lower species from trying to rebel in the past. The only thing perhaps keeping the peace is the combined love the subjects have for the Emperor and the awe of fear they have for the Lord High General. Between the two of them, they have covered the bases of being loved and feared.

 

It was said that a small fishing town in the outskirts had decided not to pay their tribute to the emperor and before the Emperor could speak on the issue, the High General wiped out the entire village, poisoned the fish game preventing further generations from plying their trade, and killed the cattle. There was one survivor of the incident, a witch advisor to the vampire lord whose land laid claim to the village as his.

 

Due to the blood relations of the vampire lord and that of the High General, he and his clan were left blameless but the Witch was there on official business, and she hid herself and watched the slaughter of innocents. Her name was Slay; she was promoted to the High Council of Witches that reported directly to the Emperor himself. The promotion was two fold in logic. The first step was to keep her quite and insure such; the second was so that High General could keep her close in case she needed to be dealt with.

 

Annya met the High General several times due to her position with being the head advisor to the Dark Clan. On her first impression of the man as she was a child, she remembered the shiver of pure fear upon meeting his personage. When she first conjured her demon beast which she contracted to take the form of a horse, it too shivered with fear when it met the Lord High General.

 

It was when she heard of the incident in the fishing town, only rumors, she realized why. However it was the Wraith Clan that was allegedly used to find any survivors and silence them before they could speak. Direct orders of the Lord High General no doubt. But even they were said to be repulsed by the vampire’s glee in demanding they bring back as many corpses as possible while he delighted himself in feast.

 

There was something about her new lord; she could not put her finger on. His fighting style spoke nothing new in terms of greatness. He passed the high expectation given to him, but even still, there would be no legends spoken about them.

 

Her demon seemed to speak to her. It too was not sure what was inside the vampire that caused her fear. It was advising her to be cautious around him. But why should she feel caution about the one who is her lord? Annya chuckled creepily. It is a good thing, that her lord can cause fear, why fear the friend who watches over her when she can see the fear he will inflict on their enemies?

 

The moon was passing above them.

 

“I have no experience in politics.” Annya looked at Garo who seemed filled with doubt. She whispered back to him, “My lord, head held high, be polite to your betters and do not betray any thoughts of genius. We are meeting the Emperor himself, in the coming days you will get to know him like the back of your hand, and he you. Our clan has served his since the First War where we destroyed the cursed Wraith clan and shamed their God with our own feats. You must always embody this legacy. Politics come later; tonight we are about formalities and appearance. I will teach you all I know, and you have two servants of the previously lord who can tell you of your predecessors.”

 

Lord Braken walked up to his horse,” Just be careful not to offend my lord, keep your eyes alert. Trust your instincts. Look!” He pointed at once to the main palace front gate. Two Dark Clan Gargoyles walked in front of Lord Garo. They blocked the way intentionally in a body guard position.

 

“Who is that?” Garo asked Annya.

 

“That is Warrior Shriek; he is one of the Emperor’s Four.” The Four are the elite among the elite gargoyles assigned to bodyguard the Emperor. Their skills are so legendary and of such high caliber that it is believed that one alone could wipe out the 13 warriors provided in either the Dark Clan, or the Wraith Clan. The checks and balances of this prevent one side from plotting rebellion or rule over the other. Many believe the Wraiths or the Darks would have overthrown the current system long ago if it were not for the legacy of The Four.

 

“Are you Lord Garo, head of the Dark Clan?” Warrior Shriek asked.

 

“I am.”

 

“He is expecting you; Advisor Annya is only allowed to come with you.”

 

Annya and Garo then got off their respective transportation and went to see the Emperor.

 

The inside of the halls looked like pure gold, not to say that this was anything new. For this one ride, he did not stand in awe as an outsider but was realizing these halls would soon become a familiar sight for him in the coming days as the head representative of his clan. Annya had become accustomed to the long walk, the formalities and the little extra niceties of random peasants and servants bowing just a little bit lower than they would in the outside world.

 

She wondered in her mind if he too was beginning to see the inside of the political machinations the same manor that she saw them. Maybe not, maybe as she saw beauty, he saw darkness. The next few weeks would provide her with an interesting insight into her new Lord’s mind. Would he sink and be devoured by the beasts? Or would he thrive and conquer their sworn mortal enemies. Would his tactics provide mercy? She liked the idea of them running from the hills only to have their retreat being cut off. A Grand strategy my Lord, she would say. He would laugh and drink their blood. His children would tell stories of their triumph and legendary tactics.

 

She pushed her hair to the side, what a silly fantasy.

 

Annya had spent most of her life as a b*****d daughter of a vassal of the Clan. She was however raised into the Coven into the Dark Arts. She never knew much love and as such, devoted her life into the service of the previous Lord of the Dark Clan. She substituted, or so she believed, the success of her role and duties as making her non existent parent, substituted by the head of the house, as the love a child would receive for being a good daughter. Her work and her reputation had become her pride and joy. No one would mention her name and make a joke. She even made sure she wasn’t too overly faithful like a lapdog so that none would say she was wound to tight.

 

Warrior Shriek had stopped them. The two were then stared over in great detail, until Garo began to feel uncomfortable. Inside his Garo’s head he could almost hear Annya whispering to him, Fight it! Don’t show weakness. He wasn’t really hearing anything but he saw a quick glance coming his way from her.

 

He decided to show his backbone. “Well, is there anything wrong?” He asked almost impatiently. The action was borderline rude but that was the point, he was allowed to be rude and he had to make sure that Shriek knew it.

 

A whisper came into his ear, “You know he can kill you before you blink, right?” As if he had heard, Shriek trickled a nail across the hilt of his sword, pretending it was a casual habit of his. However Garo could see the sarcasm in his eye. They all knew that as long as the gargoyle willed it, the two of them lived in his presence. However Garo knew he would need to command respect. Having finished their non verbal conversation, they followed Shriek as he made his way to the Emperor’s Chamber.

 

Shriek bowed his head in a form of submission, although this was clearly formality and it made Garo want to chuckle. Just open the damn door. Warrior Shriek received the return bowing of the head, from his two guests. From there he knew it was time to open the sliding door.

 

Slow motion and long moments were setting up his anticipation. He was now royalty and while the cost of it disgusted him, a long sleepy haze that set over him made him seem to forget and accept all this as a dream. Even in this dream state, the thought of now being royalty who reported directly to the Emperor and the Lord High General was shocking and made him proud. The world he had been deprived from his whole life was becoming an unveiled reality.

 

The veil lifted and he looked into the grand room. Vassals of all walks were kneeling in a sitting position and they looked to him. The Emperor was sitting on a small stage in the back end of the room.

 

“Leave us.” The Emperor waved his hand, and at once the attendants all seemed to have left.

 

Garo took a step in, then noted that the other three of The Four, the emperor’s personal Bodyguards, were covering all sections of the room. Another step forward and as if Garo himself commanded the Emperor, the Emperor stood up. The third step and with a turn of the head, the Lord High General was still sitting next to the Emperor, he was not getting up but eye contact was made. A fourth step and Garo finally met his rival face to face.

 

The Witch Annya announced, “The new head of the Dark Clan, Garo has arrived!” She then bowed her head to the point her forehead seemed to touch the floor. As soon as she went down, she came back up then pointed, “May I introduce to you the head of the Wraith Clan Kivel.”

 

The Emperor and Lord High General stood in amazement. Annya was taking notes as this was the first official meeting of the two rival clans. Yes, the Emperor and his general were noting this as well and watching with fascination. She hoped her lord would not disappoint them.

 

“A pleasure to meet you. I look forward to working with you in the coming nights.”

 

“And I, you. You have quite the legacy to uphold; I played the game with your predecessor, I am curious to see how you fare.”

 

They both seemed to jab. The Dark Clan leader was trying to put on a wall face, and as an individual with no experience, it made perfect sense. However the head of the Wraith faction was clearly trying to push on the weight of Garo’s legacy to see if it could collapse him.

 

Annya remembered debating often in the halls with the Wraith clan advisor Shi. Their debates were legendary, often would turn into a shouting match, but rarely would they end with condescending talk and stubborn retorts. Annya worked the technical game, while Shi would manipulate the mind and the heart. Great rivals but to be honest, great friends who simply played for two opposing factions. Their mental battles were no different for them than two who would admire art.

 

Shi was not there that night. Dawn was soon approaching. In  nonformal haste, as Garo was mid bow, the Emperor came over and introduced himself. “I am glad we met. We have much to discuss and I look forward to your opinions on the machine that is Blud.” The two neglected figures of Kivel and Lord High General just seemed to scowl. Garo started to understand how life back stage was, a constant game of approval and affection. Even the Lord High General needed to play the game despite being perhaps, the most powerful individual in the entire empire.

 

“Garo, the Lord High General,” Annya introduced the two. The Lord High General just looked at him, seemed disappointed and humph’ed. It was clearly a ruder gesture than how Garo treated the gargoyle. Garo then saw the Lord High General and Kivel lock eyes. Now what did that mean?

 

The Emperor smiled, almost out of ignorance that something was going on beneath the room. Garo was starting to feel it though. A gaze from Kivel then reached Garo, and came a nod. That had to mean something, right? They were brothers, both using their tools to best serve the empire. He was understanding. But yet, they were enemies.

 

The Emperor clapped his hands together. Instantly a werewolf opened the door and bowed.

 

“Drinks for our guests.”

 

The lowly creature nodded then ran to his feet and left. Silence entered the room, followed by a group of servants who gave out a series of cups to the master class. The cups were raised, “To the new head of the Dark Clan, and to the prosperous future of Blud, death to her enemies.”

 

The vampires all drank the dark red liquid. The young emperor then looked down and then at his guests. “I now have an announcement to make; I would like you all to leave. Except for you Garo, I want you to follow me, alone.” Annya smiled and she left. The gargoyles watched as the others left one by one. Lastly in the room, was Kivel, who just seemed to ponder too much what would be the discussion. One of the four gave him the look to leave and he did just that.

 

The room being deserted, then Garo started to follow the Emperor to a hidden back room. The Emperor himself opened the door for him to follow. The Gargoyles just waited outside.

 

Inside, the room was like a nice quiet chamber, in the center was a table.

 

“Sit.” The Emperor commanded.

 

Garo sat down and admired the table’s beauty. The Emperor meanwhile got some figurines of well crafted natures and placed them on the table.

 

“I wanted to have this moment to talk to you personally. What I say will not leave this room. On your life, and the future of your clan, you must promise.”

 

“I do.”

 

“Good. Then sit, enjoy the comforts.” Instantly the Emperor placed a figure on the table. He then continued, “This is the Lord High General and his office.” Another figure, “And this is me, my title and lineage, Emperor of Blud. Now, we both know that I am young, and I am not going to deny this. Lord High General is clearly my elder, more experienced, and has earned his position where in I was simply born. I would like to think I am not a fool. You must understand that as of a few years ago, the Lord High General has begun to show favor to the Wraith Clan. My spies have told me the specifics of what the Wraith Clan were ordered to do in some cases to prevent insurrections. This trail of bloodletting has proven a strong bond between his office and your rival clan. While ceremonially, both clans report to me, we both know you report to the palace, which includes the High General.”

 

The Emperor put up two more figures. He then looked at Garo to see if he understood the line he was drawing.

 

Garo responded, “Me, Dark Clan, and Kivel; the Wraith clan.”

 

“Very good.”

 

The emperor moved the Wraith Statue to the Lord High General. “Fool or not, I like being Emperor and while I am sure that the Lord High General has all the best intentions for serving me, this could potentially threaten the checks and balances that has kept my dynasty running for the past several hundred generations. My Empire hasn’t faced a big threat for seven generations. However during that time period, the Emperor was nothing more than a tool, locked in his own room. Do you know the story?”

 

Garo shook his head.

 

“The Lord High General at the time imprisoned the Emperor and used him as an absent figure so he could have complete rule. It was through the Emperor making a secret meeting that he enlisted the Wraith clan and was able to assassinate the Lord High General and placed his brother as his successor.”

 

“You want me to kill the Lord High General?”

 

“No. What I want is the Dark Clan,” moves the Dark Clan statue to the Emperor’s, “to be my arm. Now, I know you will currently be juggling orders and suggestions from, me, the Lord High General, and the Coven, but know that I can make a great ally. I will send you a letter in three days. It will be delivered to your palace in the Exa region, your new home if I recall.”

 

This is true, as a child he was nursed in a smaller palace outside of the giant manor that stood on the hill. He had never been inside but saw the business come and go. His domain, Exa. It was beautiful but now it seemed to take a new view. If only Gecko could go with him. Would Gecko say yes to the Emperor’s offer?

 

“Yes, I look forward to receiving your letter in three days.”

 

Sunrise is in a short cycle from now. I will let you be on your way.”

 

They bowed to one another and then Garo left.

 

The world was dark in Garo’s mind. The events pulsated in his brain. He was in the thick of it, and the castle magically was empty. He had this illusion playing in his head that he could go anywhere he wanted, and do whatever he wanted. His legs however carried him to his convoy outside the palace.

 

The echo seemed to get louder. The effect was threatening to drive him mad. Sleep told him he would fall then rise with his brother back alive, as well as his life before. The thud was getting really bad. Just sleepy nature, and the trauma, he would survive. The next set of thuds he felt like he was going to trip over. Lies, the hall just felt like a chore to get out of. The main hall was coming up, past that, a right, then a hidden room, and out through the side of the palace.

 

Calm silence. He stopped hearing his feet. It was someone else’s foot he heard, but he did not hear, as there was no sound in the world. A lowly servant, werewolf, had taken a right and was now in his same hall.

 

There were some nice pictures that lined the wall. One was of the Goddess Dark, falling in love with Wraith. How foolish of a picture it was. How ironic that it would be here. Another picture was a foretelling of the epic battle when Blud was invaded by its neighbors from the continent. Another painting, it was clearly a picture of some theater performance he had never gotten the chance to see. He didn’t even know which one but he could tell from the masks it was a tragedy. Tragedies were popular.

 

He met the assassin in the eye. The werewolf was acting too natural for a simple servant. The silence was death; the pictures foretold the irony of his final thoughts. Garo had met the beast destined to cross his path. The beast took a blade from a sheath in the pocket and was getting ready to move.

 

“Look out Master!”

 

The werewolf lunged at Garo, but a dark cloud of blackness enveloped and the lowly beast came out the wrong way, his front facing the art, his flank facing Garo. Garo looked at the blade, the feel of death in the room, and without thinking, slammed the werewolf in to the wall face first.

 

Annya threw her Master’s sword and Garo caught it. Garo looked his weakened prey dead in the eye, and left it dead with a single swipe. He then stood still and looked at Annya.

 

“You are no longer safe here, we got three of them. But we don’t know how many more there will be.”

 

On instinct he said to her, “We shall then go to our castle in Exa, we will be safe there.”

 

“My thoughts exactly my lord.” She bowed. He lifted her face up, “We don’t have time for formalities, and we must go now.”

 

They ran their way out of the palace. Whoever had been attacking had not been stupid enough to raise alarm with the palace guard. In their situation, they could not even trust the guard at this point. No, he needed to get to his own clan. He and Annya ran down the halls and took a turn. As they looked out the holes from the door, they saw that a fire had started in their palace wing.

 

Had they been inside, they likely would have survived, but this was a case of a full out attack. Before they got to the door, a group of Dark Clan Gargoyles ran in. Before he could say anything, they surrounded him on all four sides and nodded to him. “We head for home.” They did not say anything and marched with him.

 

He stepped outside and saw the violence spread. Dead bodies were laying everywhere. His guard left him to join the fight and soon the section was clear. He sheathed his sword and looked around.

 

Annya went over to one, “these don’t appear to be Wraith Clan.” She put her hand on the forearm and showed a tattoo marking. It was foreign. No known signature. A warrior guard step forward. “Could be mercenaries.” They both looked at him. The gargoyle stopped and looked as if he figured he just said something stupid.

 

“Gather the bodies; they are coming with us on the trip.” Annya stood up and spat on one of the dead corpses.

 

Garo asked, “Was that necessary?” She just smiled. As if it was an innocent act, she kicked the corpse. “I can murder while I smile.” She laughed, it was evil. Garo was smart enough not to take it personal or scary. It was scary though.

 

The horse demon walked into the courtyard, it was flanked by a vampire bringing in two more horses. Three Gargoyles took to the sky to scout the area out so they could confirm that there were no more coming in. In a few seconds a few more death screams were heard. Then amid all the chaos, bodies were being dropped from the sky. Their next sets of victims were being rounded up.

 

A gargoyle landed and bowed to his master. “My lord, we have confirmed that a group of unknown archers have planted themselves outside the exit. They are placed on the roofs. If we exit that route, we will be killed.”

 

“Is there an alternative exit?” Garo asked. Annya just smiled. She had an idea.

 

“Get on your horse my lord, we make for the main exit, then we will go from the western town exit towards the forest. I will take care of the alley, just give me permission.”

 

Garo looked at her with a curious glance. He wasn’t sure what this meant, however he knew he would not be safe unless they were able to reach the halls of Exa Castle. He remembered that she was an advisor for a reason. “Very well, do it. I rely on you.”

 

She smiled and then closed her eyes. She mumbled some words that he never heard of and then the unholy magic began its descent on their realm. Two yards away, above a series of roofs, a score or more of archers were prepped for the fishing of lives. They twitched their fingers, they imagined how quickly they would have to reload to get every single individual dead. Despite being of wolfish and orcish natures, they were well trained. They even had two sentinels walking their perimeter to make sure that no forces take them by surprise on their flank. One thing they did not have by their side however was a powerful witch with a penchant for schemes and ploys. They never stood a chance.

 

The fog came from the bottom of the roofs they stood on. They did not notice it at first. One simply thought food was being cooked to a boil, however it was an odd time for the food to even be cooked, as dawn was coming soon. Then he noticed how it seemed to grow in all directions. It was initially such a slow and casual growth that at first he thought it nothing till he realized visability was going dead and then it sped up. Only after he said to himself how biological the black fog was did he realize it was a trap and he was going to die.

 

The area was now condensed. The enemies of his lordship Garo did not see the ground below them, nor could they tell where they would be attack from. At once three gargoyles took each of the two sets of roofs. The would be assassins, recovering from the fog rarely saw it coming as the trained protectors pressed the offense. Using the fog as cover, the assassins vainly put up their defenses.

 

Inside the fog, a battle was being waged. The defenders ultimately, what was left, tried to group together so they could protect their brethren in battle. However the grunts and death screams filled the air, and this was not the music they wanted to hear. He saw one, a grey spector, and sliced at it, but the movement just pushed some of the fog aside. He noted how the gargoyle moved to the left, and then he heard how his partner, the werewolf who was guarding his back, die. He felt a trickle of the blood.

 

The gargoyle came to him and their blades clashed and he could see in its face. Then he felt the ground disappear. The assassin had fallen off the roof. Fortunately in his situation the fog had begun to disapate, leaving only the final reveal of where his comerades died, and the expressions on their faces. He was the last one alive. His pride kept him from surrendering, as well as admitting his death with open arms. The assassin jumped forward but his knee caved into its own weight, it was broken in the fall.

 

The six gargoyles from the Dark Clan one by one landed. They had surrounded him. “Fight me!” the assassin cried. He probably wanted to go out gloriously. However the gargoyles flew away instantly, as he was ran over by a demon horse, and two other beasts of burden that were carrying the vassals and the Lord of the Dark Clan, Garo. He never saw it coming, but he likely felt it.

 

Before Dawn began its first color streak, the Dark Clan had managed to take a lesser known exit out of the imperial capital grounds and made its way for the thick forrest. They held their silence, no talking was performed. Garo rode a thoroughbred, a rare breed among rare breeds, said to be of the fastest nature, known for its brilliance, able to understand whatever the owner commands, and blends with night and day.

 

The trail to kill the leader of the Dark Clan went cold. Each passing second Garo felt safer. However he could not help but think this must have been his Karma for doing what he did. Or, was his karma to live? He was beginning to make a debate.

 

The forrest, so plentiful in its width, made ambushes hard as the Dark Clan knew a hidden trail. Annya took the lead. There is a nearby mountain, that threatens to divide the forrest in half, but misses short of a few points. To get here would take several hours from their entrance. Infront of the mountain, far from the forrest is the main road to Exa as well as the rest of the empire. Towns and villages, all locations of temporary peril would be that way. A width away from the end of the forrest as it bends around a mountain is the mountain of Exa-ko, a natural barrier protecting the rear of the town of Exa from the rest of the island.

 

By first night the next day they reached this location. The secret of this mountain was that a cave was built some time ago during the first war, in which the Dark Clan had to escape from a bloody siege to their castle. The cave, having been built, allowed for the Dark Clan to surround the enemy besieging them. Now it served as a secret entrance and exit that only those of clan lineage knew the location of.

Garo planned his revenge. He had been attacked by an unknown force. He had already made an ally, and seen the face of his sworn enemies. He was a player in the game and needed to know how to strike back with a force so strong that he would never need fear the capital grounds.

 

The first step would be to be brief his clan, have them find out what they can about the markings and see how they may or may not tie into the Wraith Clan. Second, would be to send a spy into Wraith territory to get a pulse on their movement and potentially counter any secondary attack. Confirm the enemy, then wipe them out in one night. A quick lethal strike would not just be just vengeance for the attack on his life, it would stake his claim to the dynasty set on by his ancestors.

 

He could hear the back horses moving the dead bodies of their enemies. They taunted him from death with their sounds of being rocked by the horse’s movements. The Black Beast, his personal horse, seemed flutter its head. He patted it and said, “So, you want revenge too?” It nustled to the touch of his hand. “Good horse.”

 

They came to the end of the cave, and found the end of their journey. Home was in front of them. Exa.

 

The moon looked full but he could not feel its ray of power, mostly full moon then. His new home awaited him and never had he seen such beauty. He would not trade this for the imperial palace. The Dark Clan wing in the imperial castle looked nothing like the true majesty of the castle that had been a secret his whole life.

 

“Are you ready to go in my lord?” Annya smiled. She had been waiting for this moment just as much as he had. To welcome her new master home, a rush of excitement went through her. Yes, everything would be alright. He was a worthy master. The look on his face wasn’t hunger for power, it was pride.

 

“Tell me Annya, who did you want to be successor to the Clan?” Garo asked.

 

“The strong one.”

 

“Am I strong?”

 

“You are alive. That is proof enough.”

 

“Then I shall continue to live. We have enemies, do we not?”

 

“We do, my master.”

 

“Then as I live, they shall die.”

 

“Very good master.”

 

“I will be counting on you to make it so.”

 

“And it shall be so.”

 

“Then let us continue.”

 

He snapped his foot to his horse and at once the guards at the gate to his newfound home moved aside and opened it. Dark Clan leader Garo marched in with his convoy of warriors and vassals. Then came the final doors.

 

“Welcome Master.” Two human servants bowed. Their line had been in the family for generations. The two had proven a pivotal part in the clans success, going from making detailed accurate maps, models, and clan style inventions that even made their technology the envy of the Wraith Clan. When formality stopped existing, the two often provided for good moral and atmosphere. They were well liked among the Dark Clan’s inhabitants and were no less important than the actual warriors.

 

At once they stepped aside and Garo took his first steps into the house. He reached the first platform that oversaw several sets of stairs leading to various areas of the House. “I will make this quick and brief. I, Garo, am the new head of this house. First watch will stand guard, everyone else is permitted to rest. We have had a long trip and I shall be in my chambers at rest until the sunset. I am not to be disturbed until then, or should Annya find an issue worth my waking. Until then, any issues are to be brought up to Annya. At sunset, we will hold our first official meeting and you will all attend and be briefed. Enjoy what time you have.”

 

Garo made his way to his room. Immediately, formalities broke when he left the room. Crazy chaos was happening but this was nothing new. The sounds slowly stopped as he could tell the inhabitants had enjoyed what play they could stomach before sleep called them.

 

He opened his room. Inside was a female vampire of beautiful brilliance. “Welcome home my new lord.” Her looks were a lie. She was deadly. She was also dressed highly modest. “Is there anything I can get you?”

 

“Who are you?”

 

“I am Bianca. I am the keeper of this estate and personal retainer to your lordship.” She takes out a blade, “But don’t get any funny ideas.”

 

He chuckled. “Very well. I shall sleep now.” She bowed her head and left the room.

 

He walked to his bed, over it was a window that overlooked his entire domain. Gecko was standing next to him. Both looking out at their home land. Garo and Gecko looked at each other, they had the same thought going in their heads.

 

“We shall conquer our enemies.” Garo said to Gecko, a vow of sorts.

 

Gecko nodded in reply.

 

Garo noticed a cup filled with blood lying next to the furnature. He picked it up and looked at it. A celabration was in order.

 

“To the Goddess, and death to her enemies.” To the Dark Clan. They raised their glasses and clicked them together. Then they drank. Victory tasted sweet. He then said a silent toast, to his brother, “to our victory.”

 

He took one final look at his domain, his personal kingdom. He went to sleep less than a minute after.

 



© 2011 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
Feel free to leave any raitings to each chapter when they are complete. As for raiting the book, wait till the work is a complete work. Any feedback is welcomed and apreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
Added on June 18, 2011
Last Updated on July 31, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez