Dark Chronicle: Chapter 3

Dark Chronicle: Chapter 3

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

A day and night has past since the mysterious massacre, and now Dex wakes up to find himself in an unknown environment.

"

Dex woke up to the strange darkness that surrounded him. He was unfamiliar with it. The haze of sleep clouded his vision and slowly it returned. There was nothing but ropes surrounding him. He stood up and spun around, taking in the sites. The entire place was had ropes of all different natures; ladders, chutes, webbings, platforms, and the like. It was like a play pen of sorts.

 

“He finally woke!”

 

A gargoyle flew through the ropes and landed infront of Dex. “Looks like we have a lodger.” Instantly, a second one descended on Dex from behind. They had him surrounded and Dex began remembering the night previous, when the t one gargoyle was waiting for the order to kill him. The feeling of dread was the same. He shirked up and toppled his way to a wall and put his back against it.

 

“I am Dex,” the wounded gargoyle introduced himself, thinking it might ease the tension in the room, if there was one. Maybe even put his potential enemies off guard. His eyes scanned the facial features of the two, back and forth, up down and all sorts of ways. Good news came that neither of these two had the face, or body of the one who just yesternight was looking to kill him.

One approached, he was inked with a wretched tattoo across his face. A lie, he was normal. Dex made a mental note that his paranoia was playing tricks on him. His lungs filled with air, and he exhaled the horror away. The gargoyle smiled to him.

 

“Hi, I am Dark Warrior Cage.” Dex was shocked to watch how he playfully bowed to him.

 

“And I am Dark Warrior Shin.” The second equally bowed playfully. Shin then offered to help the fearful beast up and Dex did not shy from the courtesy. “I am…” Dex started to say, but remembered that he had already previously introduced himself, so such a sentiment would be moot in action.

 

“What’s a Dark Warrior?” The statement was something Dex was not familiar with. He probably could have pieced it together himself had he not willingly allowed the previous night to be but a blur in his memory.

 

Cage let him in on the secret, “That my fellow greyskin is the proud title bestowed upon the body guards of the Dark Clan. Are you a new member?”

 

“Me? I am… I…” Dex was trying to figure what he would call himself, but the word “stray” was not a nice word in his vocabulary and was not sure how they would take it. He looked up other words; slave, no that might make them want to return him to the vampires that owned him. The thought of returning to the wooden confines, killing beasts of all walks was not in his designs, and he didn’t want it to be. “I don’t know, I just wanted a place to stay for awhile.”

 

Dark Warrior Shin then spoke, “Well it was one crazy storm, they say that during the day consensus some of the lesser built huts blew over. Fortunately no one died or drowned.”

Cage cut in, “Well, there is the whole fiasco with those gangsters who were found hacked to a million ribbons. Say, are we keeping you as part of the investigation?”

 

Shin smiled, “Now that is a pleasant thought. We haven’t had a massacre in Exa since the Wrath clan tried to muscle some gang into the docks.”

 

Not knowing if it was a challenge or not, Dex asked, “and what happened?”

 

“Simple, we found out, and pawned our way inside, and they never knew what hit them. The docks were lost in a fire…” Cage was saying.

 

“Which we set to cover our tracks,” Shin finished.

 

The two laughed. Shin then threw his arm around Dex, “You will have the best protection while you are here my fellow greyskin. Me and Cage boy here are ranked Six and Seven. You couldn’t ask for better friends.”

Cage asked, “So what does bring you here? I don’t buy that a fellow such as yourself would just happen to be poor, homeless, malnourished, and have such rags. There is a story behind you and I want to know it.”

 

Shin poked, “And look at these stitches. What are…”

 

Pain shot out with a cry, Dex screamed. Shin was curious as to why his comerade was screaming but he could not think much longer as an open palm met with his neck. The impact was quicker than instant and he went down. Cage regocnized a hostile situation and jumped through a set of ropes providing proper protection and manipulated cover as Dex grabbed a string.


Dex stared at his prey. He was breathing heavily and realized what he had done, meanwhile Cage was mentally preparing a counterattack but then saw reality hit the gargoyle infront of him. Dex lifted Shin up from the arm and on the movement, Shin came out of his shock. He inhaled quickly and exhaled.

 

Dex dropped both his arms and apologized. “I am sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you. Just, don’t go grabbing my wing like that. It’s sensitive.”

 

The two flanked him and were not sure whether they should do something or not. Shin then smiled, “You got the drop on me, I would have thought my reflexes would be faster than that.”

 

“So where am I?” Dex asked. He was still not sure if he should feel safe, the sharp pain he was still feeling was proof enough that despite their friendly faces, they clearly were unpredictable. He tried not to dwell on it or them. His first instinct outside of fear was a warm nature of them. However fear and survival were still number one and he had to trust that more than anything. He kept picturing that if they walked continuously, he would be back in his prison.

 

Dex did not notice that they had commenced walking in a strait direction. “We are currently in the Gargoyle House. West wing of the Exa Palace. It is where we Dark Warriors train, sleep, and play when we have nothing better to do. The ropes you see around here provide us with a physical activities as well as train our reflex abilities. Fighting in here, or flying in here would be tough and unpredictable if you were new here. We have some ladders, nets, webbings, if it can be built with ropes and wood, we have it. This is our home.”

 

“And where are we going?”

 

Shin then answered, “To the farthest part of the wing.” Dex began to notice a lit section in the distance. He could not tell how big this place was but he had a feeling he wouldn’t comprehend it even if he had the numbers. The light was growing brighter. The sounds of the three, two sets walking, and a minor limping, were echoing as the trio walked closer to the place of interest.

 

The training facility seemed to turn into a small village. Dex noticed instantly an artificial nature of the village. In the center was a building, modded by open roads, some small houses, a two story building and it cut off into two directions at the center. Highly basic, and highly generic. The only establishing feature that would make this village memorable was that it was fake.

 

“And what is this?” Dex asked.

 

Instantly, three gargoyles flew by quickly and landed on one of the roofs. Dex froze, he said nothing more though. Two of the gargoyles in the village looked to one, who was the leader, who in turn made an adjustment. The two followed the signal instantly and shot off into different direction. The leader flew into the center building.

 

“Be quite Dex, this is a simulation.”

 

“A what?”

“Enjoy the show.”

 

Shin and Cage sat down, Dex followed suit and watched. The two gargoyles in the simulation who separated from the leader went into the center building. After some unknown sounds, there was the sound of weapons. Dex knew this sound all too well. Then he saw something that awed him to his core.

 

Out of the center building walked out a highly featured Gargoyle, with a tattoo on each of his sleave, and a number on his back, 1. In his hand, was one of the infiltrating gargoyles who hung his head low in defeat, he was drenched in red substance.

 

“I have taken out your two. Come out and face me.” Number 1 slammed the gargoyle on the floor who instantly joined his other defeated comerade and they walked out of the village. This sight fascinated Dex. Did this creature really take out those two, who moved so skillfully and with grace by himself?

 

Number 1 walked towards the middle of the village. “I know you are…here!” Number 1 pointed to the building on the right with a crack on the window frame. Instantly the leader gargoyle jumped out screaming. The two fought with strange like weapons.

 

“What are they doing?”

 

“Bandit Leader scenario. A bandit, in this case Dark Warrior Ky, the one with the number 1 attached to his back, has taken over the village. These three are to infiltrate the village and take him out. However since Ky is actually ranked number 1, it is easy to assign the mission, hard to execute. They are fighting with staffs that are rolled with paint. Getting hit is equal to dying.”

 

From the moment the battle commenced, Ky had the upper hand, and the leader seemed to fight in vain. After Ky made eye contact with Dex, he went for the kill and in moments or less than that, the lead gargoyle was painted red. Ky looked at the victim and smiled. Instantly the other two ran up and formed a line and they all bowed to him. Ky returned the bow and the formalities over, they began to instantly converse.

 

“He is good.” Dex was still amazed. “He really beat the three of them?”

 

“Well he is not ranked top of the clan for nothing. He has lost a few times but mostly, three on one just isn’t good enough. However it teaches us how to coordinate attacks, infiltration, and it keeps him on his toes. Don’t let the tattoos and his scary features fool you, he is nice enough if you show proper respect. I have seen three people challenge him for his position but not a single one of them were able to properly lay anything more than one strike on him. This is what?” Shin was going on.

 

“His third year as ranked 1,” Cage answered feeling smart. Shin added on, “A rare achievement. He was challenged no less than about five times for his position. Every tattoo on him represents one of his battles. They say he challenged one of the Four and got trounced around harshly, but he is still the strongest among our clan. Once the number 2 got a hit on Ky, just one solid hit, that did nothing more than make him fight harder. You should have seen it.”

 

Ky sneezed. “Someone must be talking about me.” He then stared at the three spectators. He walked toward them as he dropped his fake blade. Shin and Cage instantly bowed to him in a humble manor. Dex simply stood looking ignorant. “I like the stitches and the adhesives. Good gimmick.” Ky bowed only slightly, admitting himself the senior. The two gargoyles then stood.

 

“Calm down, no formalities infront of the guest. Can I…?” Ky was reaching for a stitching on Dex’s arm. Dex instantly pressed his eyes closed, knowing a shot of pain was coming. Shin luckily stopped the interaction, “You wouldn’t want to do that, he might sneak a quick shot in. I learned that the hard way.”

 

“A quick shot? A shot of what?” Ky asked, slightly sure he knew the answer. Shin simply rubbed his jaw as if he was rocked from it. “And you call yourself a Dark Warrior?” Ky began to berate him in a playful manor. He continued, “So, you must be pretty fast then. Who are you? You replacing someone?”

 

Cage responded, “Dark Warrior Rile hasn’t earned any ire. He held his own pretty good in the last attack, I don’t think they want to replace him.”

 

A new voice came from where the false village was. “He is a stray. They let him in during the rain storm. Judging by his animal nature, I would say he was an escape slave. Am I right? Oh, I did here about a gang being chopped up to bits, I am sure you had something to do with that.” The creature let out a crackle.

 

Ky asked, “Is this true? You are a stray we picked up? What is our lord thinking?” He rubbed his hand against his elbow, again feigning disappointment. He smiled the whole time thinking an unknown element added to the dry spell of action could provide for some fun chaos. Beating up on three to four fellow Dark Warrior brethren week in and out was getting dull. However he noticed too well how this pathetic stray could barely stand on his own, much less make for a good fight, but the addition of an unknown element was a nice touch none the less.

The blind vampire continued with his guessing game. “I see it now, you must be one of the escaped slaves during the massacre. I wonder if Annya knew this when she vouched for you to stay here. I am sure Lord Garo would love to talk to you when he realizes this news.”

 

The blind vampire turned around and started sweeping the area around the room.

 

“I am Dex, How do you know all of this?”

 

Shin leaned in and whispered into Dex’s ear, “That is Itch…”

 

At the moment of hearing his name, the pathetic blind vampire laughed then seemingly disappeared into the distance, like a ghost. The once occupied town, filled with battle was empty as all the was left was the mystic sound of sweeping.

 

“And who is Itch?”

 

“I will let you figure out that story for yourself. Come on, I will show you the rest of our clan’s home.” Cage seemed to be dragging Dex along. Shin too seemed to enjoy the game, however Ky was just watching, observing the new game brought into the reserve. He might become a threat, a voice in his head wanted to ring. A laughable thought, the poor thing could barely walk. There was a fire in his eyes though, it was like Dark Lord Garo, but, more well hidden.

 

As the figures walked away from the false village, another string of thoughts came into Ky’s mind. Yes, the fire in this stray was well hidden, almost suppressed. However there was something inside that could not be suppressed. Dark Lord Garo did have a similar fire, but this creature on suppressing his, still showed signs of matching, perhaps surpassing. He grew goosebumps. Surpass the Dark Lord? It was a warrior’s eyes; a strong one. One to challenge the unholy gods. Then he told himself he was being silly. Looks were never that deceiving.

 

Meanwhile, in the master’s chamber, Garo was looking at reports. He had a political geographical map of the land of Exa, and in it, figurines were put to represent what was once the layout of the land. The map spread out like a long blanket and instantly, the servants were moving buildings around to give it a three dimensional feel. With in moments a large parchement became a large village.

 

“This was the town as of this time yesterday.”

 

Garo looked at Dark Warrior Void. This gargoyle ultimately became the head investigator next to Lord Braken in the incednt as it occurred the previous night. “Do we still have any idea as to who or what caused the massacre last night?”

 

Void walked over to the second map, it showed the current state of affairs. To the question prevous, Void shook his head giving the negative. “And what of the foreigner, any update on his former status?” again a head shake rather than a nod.

 

The door slid open a brief bit, and Bianca bowed her head, “My lord, I have summoned for the survivor. Also, Lord Horn has requested your presence immediately. I told him to wait outside.”

 

“Send them both in, Dark Warrior Void, would you mind taking mental notes and add anything said to these floor arrangements?” Void nodded. “Good. Then let us begin. Send them in.”

 

A shadow loomed over the door. In came a vampire with strange features, like that of a weakling, not befitting of his noble station. “So, you come Lord Axley.” Garo got up, and Lord Axley, the vampire bowed. “You were assigned to run undercover of the Broken Gang, I assume you have something to note?”

 

“Yes, I heard you were investigating the case of what happened in the tavern and I come to finally give my report. I must first apologize before hand as I was barely able to escape with my life and for the fact that where I hid, I knew not where the enemy would be lurking. This is a failure on my part as I may house critical information and perspective to what incident took place.”

                           

The two sat down. “So start from the beginning.”

 

“Very well my lord. I tracked the local syndicate to an action that dealt with the burning of a castle outside Hara pass, two villages away from here. The fire had all the markings of gang warfare and the area was ripe with signs of a slave operation. From my position I was able to acquire as a chronicler in the gang, I was able to get some history on them that has been unkown to us for some time. First off, the gang comes from five generations of crime lords. They also have had a hidden tie to a gang outside Kou, homeland to the Wrath Clan.

 

“They have not had direct contact with the Wrath clan but I am sure you are aware of the growing presence within the area, their speed of expansion, it would be not unlikely for the Wrath clan to use them to grab a foothold at our throats. The two gangs, the Broken Clan, and the House of the Twisted Blade share a b*****d lineage. You see, the now dead leader of the Broken Clan, his grandfather had a b*****d child who became the first leader of the House of the Twisted Blade. Right now, they are small time, but I spent a lot of my time confirming the lineage and seeing if there was any other connection I could uncover.”

 

Garo looked at the village and thought of all the Broken Gang territory as potential Wrath Clan territory, it was a scary thought. “Continue Axley.”

 

“The line was growing cold but we all have noticed how the Broken gang had taken out the other synidcates almost over night. This happened because of the gambling competitions. Chief Zu used some unkown fighter who went undefeated, he competed his slaves against theirs and they just couldn’t keep up. They would bet territory. He had a personal bodyguard named Ink, he protected him from harm. I met up with them when Chief Zu had wanted to show me a puzzling gargoyle he found who was seemingly unbeaten. Watching his fights I noticed something interesting in that the fighting style was that of the Ancient Scroll. Now, common thought is the Ancient Scroll technique was outdated when modern martial arts came along, however Chief Zu enjoyed that he had in him, a slave who could fetch a well of price for his historical knowledge. I confirmed some of the basic moves from the scroll itself but the most odd thing was how this slave was able to win his fights using outdated methods, but he seemingly also reinvented them as he fought.Moves that were meant for defense, he used as offensive moves. It was the most bizzare thing. Moves meant for offense, he turned into blocks. “

 

“Are you sure this was the Ancient Scroll? And if so, just what does this mean Axley?”

 

“The ancient scroll traces roots to before our more modern civilization. Intimate knowledge of the scroll, art, application is beyond wealth and measurement. There are only five martial art teachers who know and studied the scroll. If a vampire lord claimed to have in his possession a living expert, his credentials and fame would be boundless. So after my initial findings were given to Chief Zu, he wired connections to the continent in hopes of expanding his slave trade operation as well as making powerful allys from the continent.”

 

“We think we may have found your gargoyle Axley.” Garo said with a smile, “If the two of you would come together I am sure we can figure out what broke out, and perhaps determine just what effects this may have for Exa.”

 

After Garo finished, Axley just looked on wide eyed. “You mean…we have him?” Garo liked knowing he had all the proper points forming a straight line. Then came a shadow at the door. It slid open.

 

Bianca peered in and said, “The masterless gargoyle Dex is waiting outside, accompanying him are Dark Warriors Shin and Cage. They are insistent that they stay with him.” To this Garo laughed and responded, “Bring them in. It is time we unwrap the truth.”



© 2011 Daniel Rodriguez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 26, 2011


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5