Sunrise

Sunrise

A Chapter by Emiko Tagahushi

Several days passed, and I grew to know Edward more as we talked on the afternoon bus.  And eventually, he started coming on morning buses too.  I was sitting in my spot, staring at the numbers in a Sudoku book when the seat did the same thing he sat in it every time - shifted and squeaked.  I looked up.

“Oh, morning,” I said, and noted his dull figure.  I could tell he was not a morning person.  His eyes were sagged and he was completely slumped in the chair. 

“Morning,” he mumbled back in a barely audible voice.  It was normally very quiet on the morning bus, with the morning sun gleaming through the fog that slowly spread like wings on the golden ball.  Today, the sky surrounding the sun was a bright pink streaming through the clouds, and as it grew further it faded into a dull blue.  The moon was still dimmed in the distance, like a random scratch in the perfect blue sky. “Wow,” Edward stabbed my observation bubble. “Why in the world are you doing a Sudoku puzzle six in the morning?” he said, cocking his head.

“They get my brain cranking,” I said, fiddling with my pencil.  I scribbled down a two.

“Geez,” he heaved out, stretching his arms.

“So what made you start riding the bus in the morning?” I wondered as I wrote down more numbers, my brain functioning a little faster.

His eyelids barely opened to peek at me through his dark lashes, and after a short moment of relapse - probably - a weak smile tugged at his lips. “Nothing,” he said, turning away, and so I turned back to my Sudoku puzzle.  Suddenly, his hard head sat on my shoulder.  My eyes glanced at the top of his head, and his sloppy hairs poked at my cheek.

“What are you-?”

“Let me sleep,” he said, his eyes already closed.  I sighed, working on my Sudoku puzzle again, but his head was weighing down my shoulder.  I actually found it quite uncomfortable. 

“Go sleep on something else,” I muttered, trying to shrug him off.  His head slipped and smacked onto my lap, covering up my Sudoku puzzle. “Hey!” I tried to move my hands stuck under his big head, but he just kept lying there.  His face looked calm.  Was he already asleep?  I gazed down at his face in annoyance, trying to burn a laser through his forehead so he could look at me, but he didn’t move or flinch.  I blew in his face, and still he didn’t react; only his bangs flipping back to reveal his forehead.  I paused.  His eyelashes were long…

Abruptly, his sleeping face screwed up into a smirk with scrunched up eyebrows. 

I gasped. “Ed!  Get off me!  I want to do my Sudoku puzzle!” I commanded, and felt some eyes turn.  I ducked out of sight and wiggled my hands under Edward’s head. “Moooove,” I whispered.

“Nooooo, let me sleep,” he said, curling up on his side, facing away from me.  I huffed out, sitting back and glaring out the window, but inside, I was feeling a gentle flutter in my chest. 



© 2015 Emiko Tagahushi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Haha, this was sooo cute! Edward is quite a cheeky guy and I just loved Justine's attempts to get him moving. Loved the description of the sunrise and the expression "stabbed my observation bubble" too, that was great imagery.
I think you could drop the "sarcastically" in the last sentence though, I can't detect much sarcasm in his remark and I think got quite a clear picture of his demeanor without the adverb.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Pfft haha - yeah, why did I put "sarcastically" in there? I will take it out lol. Yay! I'm happy .. read more



Reviews

Haha, this was sooo cute! Edward is quite a cheeky guy and I just loved Justine's attempts to get him moving. Loved the description of the sunrise and the expression "stabbed my observation bubble" too, that was great imagery.
I think you could drop the "sarcastically" in the last sentence though, I can't detect much sarcasm in his remark and I think got quite a clear picture of his demeanor without the adverb.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Pfft haha - yeah, why did I put "sarcastically" in there? I will take it out lol. Yay! I'm happy .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 30, 2015
Last Updated on November 13, 2015


Author

Emiko Tagahushi
Emiko Tagahushi

About
Hello, I call myself Emiko Tagahushi. I love writing, although I do not do it as often as I'd like to. I am majoring in Literature, so I love to analyze texts too. Some of my favorite books are The.. more..

Writing