Sunlight

Sunlight

A Chapter by Emiko Tagahushi

Tuesday arrived, the day that most people seem to complain about.  Edward didn’t show up on the morning bus, so I didn’t expect to see him, but when the end of the school day came, and I walked onto the bus, he came.  He stalked down the aisle, a hood over his head, perhaps for the rain.  He sat down next to me, turning the other way so I couldn’t see his face. 

                “Hey,” I greeted, starting to feel weird with this strange act.

                He hesitated. “Hi,” he croaked back.  He still didn’t turn.

                “So, what’s up?” I asked awkwardly.

                There was another elongated pause as the bus started moving. “Nothing much,” he muttered, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

                “Where were you yesterday?” I wondered.  Maybe he was just kidding around like he always did.

                “I wasn’t feeling well,” he answered.

                I gazed at the back of his head. “You don’t seem too well today either,” I commented.  Why wouldn’t he look at me?

                His head lowered a bit. “Yep,” he simply said. 

                I took a deep breath, fidgeting with my backpack strap. “Edward,” I sternly said.  His head turned ever so slightly. “What happened?”

                “None of your business,” he muttered, hunching over.  I huffed out air, growing frustrated with this attitude. “Let’s just say,” he paused, “I don’t have the greatest friends.” My eyes lowered, and I took a hold of his arm.  I felt him flinch, but he didn’t pull away. 

                “Let’s do a Sudoku puzzle,” I suggested, taking out the book from my backpack.

He spit out a small laugh. “No thanks,” he said, still facing the other way.  I scanned the page and just wrote down a nine when his head hit my shoulder.  I stiffened �" feeling a little weird since it wasn’t in the morning so everyone was very awake and could clearly see him doing this, but I decided to ignore the feeling and kept working on the Sudoku puzzle.  I still couldn’t see his face since his hood was in the way. “Ah, I found one,” he told me.

“Where?”

“Here,” he said as he slipped the pencil out of my hand.  He placed the led on the page and began writing.  His hand trembled, and his knuckled were peeled and red.  He handed me the pencil, revealing the squiggly three he had written, but I took his hand instead.

“How did you get this?” I whispered.

He pulled his hand free and sat back up, going back into the position before. “It’s nothing,” he said in a dull voice.

“Edward, tell me,” I ordered.

He abruptly stood up. “This is my stop,” he said.  Darn it… I stared at the weakly written number three on my page as the bus screeched to a stop.  Was I going to let him get away with this?  Shouldn’t I help him through this and not let him struggle alone?  Edward stepped out into the aisle and started for the door.  I held my breath.  Should I go be with him…?  My mind tumbled with debates as he approached the door.  Just go!  I stuffed my Sudoku book into my backpack and zipped it shut, hurriedly getting out of my seat and rushing down the aisle just as the bus driver was about to close the door.  He opened it for me and I walked down the steps, hopping off the bus.  Edward was already leaving down the street. 

“Justine!” I heard a familiar voice behind me.  I turned and caught sight of Katelyn looking out the window as the bus started to drive. “This isn’t your stop!” she yelled.

“I know!” I called back, and the bus disappeared down the curve of the road.  I spun around to find Edward not too far up ahead.  I followed him through the streets of the trailer homes in the rain.  My eyes stayed on his back, wondering if he even knew that I was stalking him.  The sky seemed to dark as we walked along the curvy sidewalk.  Then his feet stopped, placing together.  I halted, looking at his sweater.  He didn’t move for a while, and the droplets soaked our heads as we stood there.  The rain became heavier, and the sound grew louder. Thunder cracked in the clouds, but we continued to stay, just a couple feet apart, but it felt too far for me to reach out to him…

“I was in a so called gang,” he murmured, his voice gentle in the storm raging around us. “It was stupid,” he scoffed, “but we started taking it too seriously, and they asked me to do some bad stuff...”  Wind picked up and smacked rain in my face, and for a moment through the roaring, I couldn’t hear him. “...refused, so they beat me up, and as they left me lying there in the cold, they said that it was my punishment for quitting �" since I wasn’t willing to do what they asked,” he said.

My eyes lowered to the ground.  I didn’t know what to say �" I mean �" I couldn’t really say anything at all.  What had happened was already past.

Something dark appeared in my sight, and then something warm was draped over my head and shoulders.  I raised my head and saw Edward standing in front of me with no sweater.  Under his cheek was a swollen bruise and his lip had a cut with other small bruises on his face.  I felt tears sting my eyes as I stared into those gray blue eyes that barely shined anymore.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I laughed lightly. “You’ll get soaked.” I took a hold of his sweater, about to pull it off when he snatched it, holding it down firmly.  I blinked at him. “I don’t need it,” I assured him, but he wouldn’t budge. “Edward,” I moaned, not wanting to take his sweater since it was raining and he was all beat up.  He didn’t move.  I sighed, dropping my arms and looking up at him.  There was a small smile playing at his lips, but his eyes were saddened.  His rain soaked hair was clumped together, and there was water all of his clothes and trailing down his face.  They appeared to be tears. 

Very gently, I placed my hands on the back of his neck and pulled him down to me, making his face rest in my shoulder.  This was all I could really do.  I closed my eyes, and even through the rain, I could hear him breathing softly.  My hands released him after a moment, and I took a step back when suddenly, I was pulled toward him again.  His arms around my waist tightened, pressing me against his warm chest.  I froze, caught off guard.  Edward had never hugged me before.

“Justine,” his voice was close to my ear. “This is painful for me.”

My eyebrows scrunched up. “Well, then don’t-,”

“But, no matter how painful it is,” he continued, holding me even closer. “No matter how much my body aches to the bones, I don’t want to let go, Justine,” he whispered.  He buried his nose in my hair. “I’m sorry, for acting the way I did.  I was scared to tell you at first �" but I realize now that �" I can’t hide it from you.  I just can’t.”  His voice quivered, and his hands clutched my sides. “I always thought staying loyal to the gang or gaining money or items were important, but after I met you,” he paused, “suddenly all of that stuff doesn’t matter anymore.” I could feel myself getting very warm. “Justine, you gave me something I didn’t have before.  You gave me a purpose,” he said, pulling me back. 

I exhaled the air that I had been holding in. “What do you mean by that?” I asked, trying to act normal and make a confused expression, but there were a strong smile fighting its way onto my face.

Edward grinned, and his eyes brightened. “I mean �" you, Justine,” he said. 

I glanced aside. “I still don’t get it,” I mumbled.

He heaved out air. “Do I really have to say it straight out? It’s…it’s a little �" embarrassing,” he said, leaning back, maybe in hopes that it would chase me away from asking �" but no!  I wanted to see what he had to say that was so embarrassing, so I boldly gazed at him.  He peeked down at me, and averted his eyes again. “Well, I guess you could say, YOU became my meaning in life,” he said slowly which made it even more awkward. “Like, instead of just floating around with everyone else, now when I do something, I have a purpose to do it for �" and it’s you,” he explained, and I swear his face reddened. 

I looked away too. “You should take your sweater back now,” I hummed, stripping it off my head and handing it to him.  

He put it on and flipped his hood over his head, facing me. “I need to get you home before your mom starts wondering where you are,” he reminded me.

I smiled sheepishly. “Sorry for bothering you,” I said since I had followed him.

He laughed. “It’s fine.  I’m actually glad you came,” he said.  He moved so he was standing next to me and we walked down the sidewalk toward his house. “I have a few questions for you anyways,” he noted.

“Like what?” I wondered, holding the straps of my backpack.

He eyed me. “Will you go out with me?”

I nearly fell over. “Go out?” I repeated weakly.  Edward Thalin was asking me to go out?!  My head spun. “Well �" yes.  Of course,” I blurted, shocking myself with such a quick answer.

“Really?” he asked, chuckling a little as if he couldn’t believe it himself.

“Really,” I nodded slowly, and a smile brightened his whole face. 

We took one step at a time along that small sidewalk as the rain quieted, and the skies opened up to calm waters with a golden ball streaming light onto the wet earth, enveloping us in its shine.  The rain droplets continued to fall, becoming streaks in the yellow light, the puddles shimmering with the sun’s reflection.  The world seemed to become still and silent, and in that moment of peace, Edward took my hand, and we went down that golden, glimmering road, smiling to whatever would come next…



© 2015 Emiko Tagahushi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved this for the most part. Justine following Ed, his gesture with the sweater - sweet and endearing. Couldn't help thinking that his dialog was a bit cheesy though. I don't know, but he's still a kid, a former gang member even - would he really say "You gave me purpose" and ""you became my meaning in life"? I just think the gestures and the hug were much stronger in transporting his message and him asking her out would have been more powerful if he hadn't been that soppy. But maybe that's just me being unromantic... ;-)
And I'm wondering how far her home is. Katelyn seemed shocked and agitated that Justine got off the bus early, so will it be a walk that takes several hours?
Apart from my nitpicks I really liked this chapter, the imagery was great and I loved the weather paralleling the mood. It's an old trick, yes, but I willingly fall for it every time :-D


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Haha I totally know what you mean! I felt like his dialog was very cheesy too, but I couldn't think.. read more
Kaliope

8 Years Ago

I don't think you should get rid of the entire dialog, it was fine for the most part, I'd just tone .. read more



Reviews

I enjoyed these chapters, it was a bit cheesy but I love sappy love stories so I found this awesome!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Loved this for the most part. Justine following Ed, his gesture with the sweater - sweet and endearing. Couldn't help thinking that his dialog was a bit cheesy though. I don't know, but he's still a kid, a former gang member even - would he really say "You gave me purpose" and ""you became my meaning in life"? I just think the gestures and the hug were much stronger in transporting his message and him asking her out would have been more powerful if he hadn't been that soppy. But maybe that's just me being unromantic... ;-)
And I'm wondering how far her home is. Katelyn seemed shocked and agitated that Justine got off the bus early, so will it be a walk that takes several hours?
Apart from my nitpicks I really liked this chapter, the imagery was great and I loved the weather paralleling the mood. It's an old trick, yes, but I willingly fall for it every time :-D


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Haha I totally know what you mean! I felt like his dialog was very cheesy too, but I couldn't think.. read more
Kaliope

8 Years Ago

I don't think you should get rid of the entire dialog, it was fine for the most part, I'd just tone .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2015
Last Updated on August 30, 2015


Author

Emiko Tagahushi
Emiko Tagahushi

About
Hello, I call myself Emiko Tagahushi. I love writing, although I do not do it as often as I'd like to. I am majoring in Literature, so I love to analyze texts too. Some of my favorite books are The.. more..

Writing