Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Emily

The passing scenery is picturesque and quaint. The forest surrounding the road is lush and there are flowers in bloom along the side of the road. It’s quite beautiful, but at this moment I truly don’t give a damn.

I’m being banished to a boarding school in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe it would help if it was a regular school... but it’s not. It’s one of those Catholic schools where parents of "troubled" teens send their kids to save their souls. At the thought I snort and mommy dearest turns around in the front seat and looks at me. Of course she wouldn’t miss the chance to act like she is a good parent.

"Selena, I know you're upset but-" she begins, trying to sound concerned. I cut her off.

"Why ever would I be upset, Marie? I'm only being sent away from my friends and family-" I sneer the last word, making it obvious what I think of my so-called family, "to be sent to some Catholic boarding school in the middle of nowhere. And all this because you got knocked up and you don't want me to 'corrupt' the baby."

My dad gives me a look and her eyes narrow when I call her Marie instead of mom, though they should be used to it now. I mean, she married my dad when I was 12 and I’ve never called her anything but Marie, or Mrs. Adair when I’m feeling sarcastic.

Of course there was a time when I liked her. Though that was when she was the nursing assistant that helped take care of my mom. I was 8. Then I called her Ms. Johnson. She was nice and she always told me the truth about how my mom’s sickness was progressing. Because she was only ten years older than me I figured she understood that I wasn’t a baby who needed to be lied to. I adored her. But that was before I found out that they were screwing around while my mom was dying.

I shook myself of my morbid thoughts when I realized the she was talking.

" know that’s not the reason we're sending you to St. Michaels." she said ignoring the "knocked up" comment, "You're obviously having trouble dealing with all the pressure at school and we thought it would help if you didn't have to be around the new baby. You know we don't want you to leave." She sounded sincere but the gleam in her eyes told a different story.

"Yeah whatever." I reply, trying to ignore her.

It was the wrong tactic.

"Don't you ignore me young lady! You will obviously have to be more respectful when we get to the school. And could it have killed you to wear something decent for a change?" The look she gives me is one step above disgust.

I look down at my clothes. I’m wearing a Tripp skirt, black leggings, black boots, and a gray shirt with black skulls on it. For me that’s the equivalent of dressing up, especially since the only other thing I wear is ripped up jeans, converse, and t-shirts.

"This is decent, Marie. Nothings hanging out and I even took out my belly button ring." She glares at me and I obligingly lift up my shirt to show that the peace sign that normally hung there was gone. 

Her glare turns even nastier and I realize that I'd forgotten to inform the parental units about my belly button ring. S**t.  

She takes a deep breath like she’s about to go on a rampage, but dad beats her to it.

“You Have A WHAT?!" He yells, his voice rising with every word. He is glaring at me in the rearview mirror. His face is getting a very interesting shade of red, I note detachedly.

"A belly button ring" my voice is calm and I sounded only politely interested. Like a stranger. "I got it months ago, which you would know if you were ever home."

"You shouldn’t have gotten that without our permission! You shouldn’t have gotten it at all! We raised you better than that!" he yells. I notice that Marie is wearing a self satisfied smirk as if she had orchestrated the whole thing.

I want to roll my eyes. I want to strangle her. I want my dad to notice something other than my goddamn belly button ring. So I do something I know I'll regret. I lash out. I yell back.

" Yeah?!" I yell, well didn't your parents raise you better than to cheat on your dying wife with some random w***e?! And don't make me laugh! You didn't raise me! Mom did! And you haven't done a goddamn thing since you married that stupid b***h!!!"

His face was turning an alarming shade of purple I note dispassionately. It might have been funny if it was someone else’s life.

No. I take that back. I wouldn't wish this hell on anyone.

He looks like he is about to say more but he suddenly glances forward. I look to see what caught his attention.

I see a building that looks like a monastery. St. Michael’s Christian Academy.

We have arrived.



© 2011 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Rebellious teen...nice. I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


:D Veryyyy niceee em.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow very good this is great i am just in the first chapter

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow. I like this, how the girl is in the middle of nowhere. I really like Selena's additude.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmm THink I may have read half of this some other time! lmao opps. Commenting on it now hehe.. Pretty good though, lets hope you get past page 15! Reminds me of this movie I saw though, where the father marrys the nurse helping the dying mother. :P Pretty good start

Posted 14 Years Ago


A good beginning to your story. Being banish to a school in the woods leave a opening for a great story. I like the conversation and story so far.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


woops... nevermind.. there isn't another chapter yet. :P

Posted 14 Years Ago


I liked this introduction to the whole story, I can completely imagine this in my mind. Well written, and I'm already in the mindset of Selena. I can relate to her, which also makes the story greater. I really like where this is going, and I'm interested as to where it may go. I shall read on >:D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

467 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2009
Last Updated on March 9, 2011


Author

Emily
Emily

NY



About
I just realized that I haven't updated my about me in two years. A lot can and has happened in those two years. I am now twenty years old. I haven't gotten through college yet but I plan to. Unfortuna.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Emily


Night Musings Night Musings

A Story by Emily



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emily


Love And Lust Love And Lust

A Poem by Manda


Cant Sleep... Cant Sleep...

A Story by Manda


Because Of You Because Of You

A Poem by Manda