Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

The Art of Arrogance
EncoreDeZiza
All Rights Reserved
2013

 

 

Chapter One

 

 

The World is full of things you simply do not understand, things you were not made to understand; things that if somehow, by a series of twisted misfortune, good karma, and a truly impressive amount of luck, you had not only witnessed but then survived, you would certainly find yourself on your knees, begging to return to your previous years of blissful innocence.

                But I know, from personal experience, that no matter how much you cry, how much sleep you miss, no matter how hard or how far you run- once you see it, you can never go back. And for the rest of your life, you’re walking on very, very thin ice.

Don’t get me wrong, the world’s not completely black. There are things out there, fighting it- succeeding at keeping it away from you. Some call them gods, others angels or guardians. We, however, prefer the term worriers. Because we aren’t perfect like God or an angel and we, like you, often mess up and aren’t worthy enough for the term ‘guardian’. No, we are worriers, for those moments you find you and your buddy standing in a field of dead bodies and for the times you walk out, drenched in your own blood.

 

And as Hazel Joa Riley limped across their yard, hissing in pain and leaving a dangerously reliable trail of blood in her wake, she couldn’t help but be thankful she wasn’t called an ‘angel’ or ‘God’ because what a disgrace this sight would be. She was far from mentally and physically fit when she hit the door, her hand clutching her open side through what little remained of her tattered and torn clothing. She knew what a mess she’d been in and how incredibly stupid she’d been to get in it in the first place. And she knew what was waiting for her beyond the door, still, it was all she had and she didn’t even hesitate to open it.

 

Slamming the door closed and leaning against it, she was quick to pry off the remaining fabric, hissing in pain as strips of fabric pulled from her bloodied wounds. Breathing heavily, she forced her head down, taking in the full effect of the wound. She closed her eyes, cursing inwardly. She couldn’t’ take care of this and cover her tracks at the same time…

Slowly, she pushed herself forward, taking long, careful strides towards the bathroom. She had to stitch herself up before she could even consider going or doing anything else.  She was loosing far too much blood and she couldn’t afford to be caught by either- “Hazel?” She froze. Well so much for that…. Gritting her teeth, she took another step forward, “Look, about earlier… It’s not that we think you’re weak, it’s just that no one’s seen the inside, we don’t’ know how big the coven is-“

She spun around then, stepping into the blinding light of the kitchen, identifying the two boys immediately. There was Ayden (the one who’d been talking) standing in the middle of the room, can of coke in one hand, eyes budged and mouth agape at what she was sure was the loviest he’d ever seen her. The second boy, Zachary, was leaning against the island, busily texting away, a bottle of rum placed arrogantly just to his right. “Well I’m glad I went then, now we know what we’re up against.” She snapped, letting go of her injuries to appear stronger than she actually was. This proved to be even dumber than ever going out in the first place, because the minute she quit applying pressure (which in this case, meant holding the two halves of her stomach together), blood poured freely from the split and she was forced to wince before holding her flesh together again. How she still remained standing was beyond her.

“You have to be the biggest f*****g moron-“ Her eyes snapped up into Zachary’s blazing grey eyes. Her lip rose, showing her general distaste for the man.

“Oh shut up and text your girlfriend.”

Those grey orbs darkened as took a daring step forward (okay, maybe it was less daring right now, considering it was her who was bleeding out in front of him. Why was she here again? Oh yeah, because the wicked dick of the west was talking to her), “Jealous?” He asked, his lips pulling into a dark smirk. Her eyes narrowed, he knew perfectly well where she stood with him and he just loved using it against her. And that is why she would forever hate the man. Passionately.

“Never,” She lied easily, refusing to back down. Unfortunately, this had happened enough times that no one took noticed as her voice dropped, venom dripping from every word.

“I don’t believe you,” He mused, stepping forward again. She tried to get a grip over her anger, but she was quickly losing. He was purposely winding her up by continuously stepping forward, taunting her, threatening her, challenging her. And she, as always, fell right into his trap.

“I fail to see how that’s my problem,” She countered, matching his graceful steps and taking a swift, elegant step forward that indicated ‘Game On’. His eyes flashed with the thrill of his new-found game. And she knew, right then, that she’d hate herself for this later.

“You wanna talk problems?” Ayden exclaimed, tossing his can in the sink, “I’m going out right now to clean up your most recent one. Zach!” He snapped, making his friend stiffen, “Take her and patch her up.”

“No,” He refused swiftly, cockily as if he had all the time in the world. She, however, was paying little attention to the blonde and more attention to the brunette, her anger fueling. “No, I don’t think I will.”

“It’s not his mess, Ayden. It’s mine. I’m gonna fix this then I’m gonna fix that,” She added, jabbing her thumb roughly over her shoulder, indicating the yard that they couldn’t see due to the hundreds of layers of cement that separated them. “And you two are going to relax and stay out of it.”

“Yes because you’re so great at handling things, yes?” Zachary taunted, taking another step forward, “he’s helping you, Riley, you fucked up and now he’s being nice. Then when he’s done, you thank him, like a normal f*****g person.”

                She met his gaze head on, returning the threatening, hate-filled glare with as much passion as she was receiving, “I don’t need help,” She countered defiantly, slowly enunciating each word to get her point across. This, of course, only enraged Zachary, although he tried to hide it. It’s kind of hard to fool the girl you were inseparable from for like 15 years…

“Of course you don’t!” He exclaimed with a sharp, humorless laugh, “However, none of us has time to baby sit you, despite what you think, our schedules don’t revolve around you. So I suggest you get off your high horse before I break its legs.” She ground her jaw, she’d passed completely irritated long ago and she was now done with this conversation, entirely.

“Ooookkkaayyy, well I’m going to be outside,” Ayden said, reminding her that there was a reality outside of the boy in front of her, an entire world even. All she had to do was look away from those captivating eyes and her sanity would surely return. She blinked at the sudden realization of how close they actually were. Oh s**t… The slamming of the front door made her jump, dropping hold of her wound. Perfect timing too, because the lack of blood was finally getting to her, the black that edged into her vision was more than enough proof.

“Hey Zach?” She breathed, suddenly feeling very light headed. If he answered, she didn’t noticed, hounded by the deafening noise of her pulsing heart, “I really fucked up.” She admitted before allowing the black to completely consume her.

 

 

 

 

                After her ‘little stunt’ as Oliver had put it, Hazel had been basically under room arrest. She had everything she needed- a bed, bathroom, fridge, microwave and a TV. SO it’s not really like she was bummed at the confinement, if anything she was estatic.  She got all that and no boys! Talk about a win. It didn’t last long though, only a few days (you know, after being unconscious for two of them) before her victorious video game run-on weekend was interrupted by a formal, unwilling knock at the door. Tolling her eyes, she ducked under her opponents swing, “Come in!” She yelled over the virtual roaring audience. They hesitated at the door, shifting uncomfortably and she rolled her eyes again, Did she really have to do everything? Yeah, she was the only girl, but you’d think that beings she’d been here since she was five that they’d be used to it by now.

                She examined her opponent’s life force before smirking in satisfaction, swinging to his broken shoulder, knocking his weak legs out from under him, and then brutally murdering his jaw. He went down and she watched tentively as the ref counted. She jerked the door open in time for the TV to yell out, “KNOCK OUT!” She ignored it as she took in the man in front of her. His kept brown hair was styled making her inwardly cringe. Honestly, how much time did he spend on his appearance? She couldn’t make it twenty minutes, and half the guys around here occupied themselves for hours on end. He wore a white, dress-up shirt and black trousers. His soft blue eyes focused solely on her boxing gloves.

 

                She stepped aside, pushing away her annoyance. It’s not like he was a bad guy, he just got on her nerves and why he was even here was beyond her. They hadn’t had a quality conversation in three years. “Happy birthday,” He muttered, walking over and dropping face-first onto her bed.

“Ah,” She mumbled as everything fell into place, “You got stuck with babysitting duty,” She shut the door with a firm, finalizing kick before shedding her gloves.

“No,” He sighed, rolling over and getting tangled in her unmade bed. It’s rude to laugh; she scolded herself before she could do anything completely stupid. “I wanted to come.” She rolled her eyes although her insides were dreading why. Ayden and her had dated once (as long as she was already giving her entire life’s story, it seemed a few extra details wouldn’t’ hurt), it was actually the reason Zachary and her didn’t get along anymore. She’d said yes to Ayden simply because Zachary didn’t want her to, she’d done it just to spite him. And, long story short, she dumped Ayden after realizing that she really, really liked Zach. …A lot.

                And of course, like the impulsive idiot she was, she told him. That night. And what did he do? Okay, to be fair she didn’t give time to do anything. Right after her confession, she kissed him. He merely stood up, looked her straight in the eye, and said, “You just made hating you a hell of a lot easier.” And from that moment on, that tinge of creepy laughter never left those beautiful grey iris’, not once in three years. Which was unfortunate, because not once in the past three years had her feelings even remotely faded. “Why?” She finally asked, completely hating herself.

 

                “When we broke up,” It took everything in her not to groan out loud. She just forced herself to tend to her video games, avoiding eye contact. “I mean, I know you never liked me. You did it because of Zach, believe me, he made sure I knew. But when we broke up… It was because of him too, wasn’t it?”

She turned around, having nothing better to do, noticing the way those sad blue eyes flickered into hers with uncertainty. He knew, he bloody knew, he just wanted to hear it. She pursed her lips before deciding she owed it to him and gave a deep, submissive sigh, looking him straight in the eyes, “Yes.”

He looked like she’d just punched him in the gut, but she stood her ground, trying to remain desolate- looking. She didn’t want to be like al the girls from those horrid films, crying, apologizing, crawling on their hands and knees to anything and everything that even somewhat resembled a pe**s. Granted, Ayden was a mistake, but it was over now and it was done. He gave a brisk nod at her words before untangling himself and standing, “Oliver has- uh- requested us at a meeting,”

 

                She groaned, “He’s getting rid of me.”

“Don’t be so sure.”

“Every year something happens that was even worse than the last, last year I almost died. That leaves two options,” she pointed out, pulling on her converse, “I die or I become homeless.”

He sighed in exasperation, “Oliver wouldn’t toss you to the curb.”

“He doesn’t like me.”

“That’s because you’re stubborn, reckless-“

“Careless and Impulsive, I know.”

“I wasn’t finished,” He informed, holding the door pen for her to carelessly walk through, “You’re also far from submissive, undermine your authorities and you go out of your way to make him look bad- continuously.”

“That’s because he’s an idiot on a power streak.” She justified, not really caring or paying much attention as they turned sharply down another corridor. “Idiot’s alone are bad, give them a badge, keys or title to anything and suddenly they’re on steroids.”

“Anything you’d care to share, Ms. Riley?”

She stopped walking, briefly cursing her perfect luck before continuing to walk mindlessly down the corridor, “Nothing you haven’t already heard, Oliver!” She sang lightly over her shoulder.
”The meeting’s in here, Ms. Riley,” He called.

“I’m taking a detour,” She replied lazily, not at all surprised to hear a second set of footsteps hurrying to catch up to her. How many baby sitters could this dude get?

 

 

                About twenty minutes later, she shoved open the wooden door, walking over and falling into one of the grey office chairs, bringing the apple to her mouth and taking grey satisfaction from the loud, obnoxious crunching sound that filled the room so effortlessly. “How nice of you to join us, Ms. Riley.”

“Yes,” She agreed after a thoughtful silence, “It was.”

“And would mind sharing the round-abouts of Mr. Wilson?”

“Not particularly…” She replied already distracted by the fact that she could spin in this chair. Naturally, she spun and spun and spun as the entire room waited irritably for Ayden’s return.

 

                The loud clunking of wet combat boots earned the attention of the entire room as they (all but Hazel) turned to see Ayden Wilson undoubtedly still soaking from head to toe. “You’re late.” Oliver snapped.

“Don’t be cross with him just because you don’t know how to control your coven.” Hazel retorted.

He slammed his fisted hands into the steal table, standing abruptly as Hazel rolled her eyes at his dramatics, “I’ve had it! Get your things and get out!” After a while of everyone  starring at Hazel’s careless expression, they turned back to Oliver who looked beyond confused, “Why aren’t you surprised?”

“You’re as predictable as a rock,” She replied truthfully, taking another bite from her apple, “And since you need me and you know it, who’s gonna be my full-time babysitter?”

“Why’s she leaving anyway?” Some random guy called out.

“YEAH!” Another shouted, “I liked having a girl!”

“it’s just cause he doesn’t like buying pads,” Hazel informed, taking great satisfaction as Oliver went beet red.

“Pads?” echoed guy number one.

She nodded, “It’s like the alternative to tampons,” She elaborated before wrinkling her nose in disgust, “there’s no way I’m putting that thing up there.”

There was an amused snort that seemed to amplify in the small, packed room, “Nothing new there, huh, Wilson?” The crowd laughed as Hazel recognized Zach’s voice, but before she could fire back, Ayden beat her to it.

Standing to his full height and meeting Zach with a challenging glare. OH no… “And who’s fault would that be, Zachie?” He taunted, using the old nickname Hazel used to use when she wanted something. It was stupid, really, but she’d obviously over estimated the brain power of the male species. This became clear to her as Zach launched across the table, bringing them both to the floor. The entire male population jumped to their feet, fist pumping the air and screaming ‘FIGHT!’ at max volume.

 

                Hazel merely rolled her eyes, examining her rapidly shrinking apple before taking another bite, she continued this, ignoring the sounds of the morons that surrounded her, that was, until she registered someone’s burning gaze resting on her innocent face. She looked up to find Oliver, “What?” She snapped. He raised his eyebrows expectedly, gently inclining his head towards where the boys lay in a heap on the floor. She looked over at the blood soaking into the carpet and then back to her blissful apple longingly. Groaning, she stood, holding what was left over her apple between her jaws as she happily waltzed over and jerked a leg from the table. Oliver held up the now unsteady table, clearly not please, but it wasn’t really like she cared.

                She walked over to the boys, taking a final bite before returning it to her mouth and poking Zach (who was currently on top, strangling Ayden as little sparks of flame and electricity flew from his finger tips) before she took the bat in both hands, swinging purposefully and smirking as it hit both men in the ribs, letting out a sickening crack that echoed through the room. “Clear out!’ Oliver ordered in the stunned silence that followed.  Turning sharply on her heal, Hazel dropped the leg and followed suit. “Not you three.” Rolling her eyes, she lent against the wall, seizing the opportunity to continue to eat her apple.

 

                “What was that?” He hissed.

“Would you cut the hysterics?” She snapped, nodding at the last guy to close the door behind him, “It’s called testosterone. Unless you’re referring to Zach’s little magic trick, in which case, I’m out.”

“Thanks, love,” Zach replied sarcastically. She glared at him.

“Miss Riley, it appears you were at the bottom of this. Am I correct?”

“What? NO! How the hell was I the cause of that, are you retarded?”

“Mr. Everdeen’s remark to Mr.  Wilson was about you, yes?”

She gaped at him, “Are you even listening to yourself? It was Mr. Everdeen’s remark, why don’t you ask the pig what started the fight, oh wise one?”

“Was it about you?” He repeated.

“He talks about me a lot, it’s an unhealthy obsession,” She informed taking a bite of her apple. There wasn’t that much left, actually… Poor little apple…

“Well, we should help with that, shouldn’t we?” He asked, earning a look of pure suspicion from Hazel, “Mr. Everdeen will be rooming with you, Miss Riley, since you’re so fond of each other, that is.”

You b*****d. “I said he liked me, not that I liked him.”

“You’ll adjust,” Oliver dismissed with a careless shrug, although by the mischief dancing in his eyes she knew exactly what he was doing.

“One of us will be dead by the end of the week,” She promised.

“One can only hope it’s you, Miss Riley.” She gaped at him. “Find me at a quarter to two, I have your keys.”

                She jumped as a pool of grey filled her vision, lifting a small weight from her hands, “See you later, love.” She snapped back to reality at the sound of his deep, velvety voice, only to see the sight of him taking off with her apple- which pissed her off. Instinctively she retrieved the leg and swung it, hitting him square in the face. He froze, probably trying not to light the room on fire, but she skidded past him, snatching up the apple and giving him a flirtatious wink, “Mine,” She claimed, taking a huge bite and flashing an innocent smile before running down the corridor, screaming on the top of her lungs, “THE BRITISH ARE COMING! THE BRITISH ARE COMING!”



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
LOL. So there it is, all wrapped up in a shiny red bow, I hope you enjoy(:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on August 9, 2013
Last Updated on August 9, 2013


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing