Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen
"

The beginning of the story of Rebecca

"

I sat bolt upright in bed, wide eyes staring in the darkness. Was that laughter I'd just heard? No, it couldn't have been. My father and I were the only ones out here""right? I began to feel a sense of doubt.




[i] “I'm sure you'll love our new house,” my father said. We'd left the city hours ago; I wasn't sad to leave. It was actually a relief, a big weight off my shoulders. I wouldn't be reminded of my mother everywhere I went; I wouldn't have to walk past the alley where she was murdered every day....

There's no neighbors for miles around; we're entirely secluded. And there's a corn field in the back, a walk about five minutes from the back door. There's an indoor pool, and a hot tub. Your room is much bigger than your old room in our tiny apartment.”
“That's great, dad,” I said. “Could you""not five too much away?”

He smiled, mistaking my need for silence for enthusiasm for the move.

Like I said, it was nice to get away from the big city. But knowing that I'd being entirely alone out here? It was a little bit daunting. I was so used to living around hundreds of people, and now I was leaving all of that to live entirely alone, just me and my dad.

Come on, Rebecca.”
I looked up from my knees and saw that my father had gotten out of the car and was already holding boxes to carry inside.

Come look around the house.”

I nodded and silently climbed out of the car, grabbing my back pack as I slid down from the truck. I looked around me, noting the corn field in the distance behind the house and making a metal note to check it out later.

Help me with these boxes, will you? Your stuff's just here. You can go find your room and put it there.” I nodded again and took a box of books from the back of the truck. [/i]




Before I could wake myself up enough to think clearly, I was sliding out of bed and walking towards my window. I placed my hands on the sill and leaned forward, peering out into the night lit only by stars.

Everything seemed normal. Almost too normal...

I shook my head, pulling back from the window. I gave one last look outside before pulling the curtains closed and going back to bed.




“Good morning,” dad said as I walked into the kitchen the next morning.

I just waved and poured myself a bowl of Fruit Loops.

“I finally got the pool filter working last night.”
I felt myself smiling at that. “So I can go swimming today?” I asked, sitting down at the counter with him.

“You can do whatever you want today.”

I grinned, scarfing down my Fruit Loops so I could go swimming as soon as possible. I ran to my room and changed into my swimsuit, a black two-piece that my mother had picked out for me just a few hours before her murder....

I shuddered, shoving the memories of my mother to the back of my mind.

It took me a few minutes to remember where the pool was, but once I'd found it I was awestruck. It was a fairly large pool, about ten meters long and five wide. The depth markings went from four feet to twelve feet.

I put my towel on a nearby chair and walked over to the deep end of the pool. I dove in, opening my eyes to watch the bubbles floating up around me, feeling at peace at last.





© 2011 EndlosenRegen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on November 3, 2011
Last Updated on November 3, 2011


Author

EndlosenRegen
EndlosenRegen

Maple Grove, MN



About
Denied more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen