Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen

Once I got out of the pool a few hours later, I toweled myself down and headed for my room to get some clothes before I showered.

Once out of the shower, I dried off and got dressed. I brushed my long blonde hair and left the steamy bathroom. I draped the wet towel over the edge of my bed and grabbed my iPod from my nightstand.

I didn't see my father as I headed for the back yard, and figured that he was unpacking the boxes in his bedroom. I put my ear buds in my ears and turned on my iPod, pulling up Beethoven's “Moonlight Sonata” and turning the volume all the way up. I hummed along to the tune and fingered the notes on my legs as if I were playing the piece on a piano.

I stepped out into the blazing hot Summer sun, the heat beating pleasantly on my bare legs and shoulders. I smiled at the tingly feeling that my feet got from being cold and the so suddenly warm as I walked across the dry grass.

There were little trees in the back yard. The few that I could see weren't nearly tall enough to climb yet. I sighed, looking around for something to do.

That was when I remembered the corn field.

I looked over at it, tilting my head to the side curiously. I took my sandals off, leaving them by the sliding glass door, and headed over the field. There was a gap between the rows of corn, and I guessed that this was the entrance.

I spun up to the corn and took a leaf in my hand, shaking it as if to say “Hello, how are you today?”

I giggled lightly, feeling giddy from all the fresh air.

I laughed as I spun and danced into the corn field, running out of energy all too soon. I slowed to a walk and ran my hands along the rows of corn.

A few minutes later, when the song was about half over, I spotted a gap between several corn stalks.

“I wonder...” I murmured, barely able to hear myself, and turned my iPod off before pocketing it and crawling in between the dry stalks of corn.

I looked around me, thinking [i]This must be how the birds feel[/i] as I crouched down in the corn.

I smiled to myself, letting my eyes wander some.

There wasn't much to look at""mostly just the stalks of corn""but it was cool to be there nonetheless.

For a moment I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. My head shot back to look at whatever had moved.

I let out a small gasp of surprise when I saw the boy sitting there.

He looked to be about my age, if not a year or two older. His dark hair was matted and dirty, his clothes blood-stained and stiff. His feet were bare. I felt as if I might hurl; I didn't do well with blood.

“Oh, my god,” I said softly as I inched forward, trying to help him. “What happened? Are you okay?”

The boy remained silent.

Then,as if he hadn't moved at all, he'd stood up and run away. I stood up, trying to peer over the tall stalks of corn, but I was too short to see anything but corn.




I didn't see my dad for the rest of the day. After what happened in the corn field, I went to my room and tried to make sense of what had happened.

After a few hours of letting my imagination run wild, I eventually came to the conclusion that he was an escaped mental patient that had gotten hurt whilst escaping and needed help.

I had no idea what I was going to do about him....

[i]Maybe I should just forget about him...[/i]

But that was the problem""I [b]couldn't[/b] forget about him. That face was imprinted in my mind.

The only thing that didn't make sense was the look in his eyes. The way I'd always expected a discovered escaped mental patient to look was scared, but this boy looked more... surprised... than anything else.

It didn't make any sense to me.





© 2011 EndlosenRegen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on November 3, 2011
Last Updated on November 3, 2011


Author

EndlosenRegen
EndlosenRegen

Maple Grove, MN



About
Denied more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by EndlosenRegen